Good Wine why is it banned in Thailand

Mark P

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

My experience of attempting to get even a "middle" quality Australian wine have been extremely frustrating and the prices charged are astronomical by any standard

Jacobs creek vintage is about $2 more expensive than Singapore or USA.  Is that astronomical? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm not questioning the qualities of Chilean wines which i tried in Thailand, some Australian, French, Italian, and Argentinian among the others were decent too.

What i am questioning is the exorbitant price, but it has already being discussed to death, and we can imagine the reason for that.

Try Makro.  500 to 700 baht.  It's a couple of dollars more expensive than home. 

8 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Yes it is an extremely cheap "drinker" back in Oz or NZ, however I won't buy it here because I do believe it is not the same quality as it used to be, and I can find comparable wines here, quite a bit cheaper.

9 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Jacobs Creek, that is not even medium quality

6 February 2019: Jacob’s Creek has been ranked Australia’s 8th Strongest Brand in Brand Finance’s Australia 100 2019 report, climbing 12 places up from last year. Brand Strength, which is defined by the power of the brand over and above the level of investment. In addition to Brand Strength, it’s Brand Value increase of 46 percent is in the top 10 biggest value increases of the year.

A Top 100 result at the Sydney International Wine Competition comes hot on the heels of JACOB’S CREEK™ becoming the World’s Most Awarded Winery1

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes it is an extremely cheap "drinker" back in Oz or NZ, however I won't buy it here because I do believe it is not the same quality as it used to be, and I can find comparable wines here, quite a bit cheaper.

I can understand that.  Don't risk 500 baht on the chance you might like it.  Too risky. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand could probably make decent wine if it imported some oenologists and technology to do it. Thai wines have too much residual sugars, as winemakers here don't seem to have any experience in dealing with stuck ferments.

Apparently it does make a couple of reasonable red wines, however I have never tasted them despite trying, and the best that I could possibly say about them was that they were lacking body and depth.

It's possible that one of the problems with grapes in climates like this is that the cold weather is often needed to facilitate "bud set" on the vine, so a change in season will help with the final quality of the wine, and as has been suggested, perhaps Thais don't really want to learn from others, even though I do believe that some winemakers from other countries have come here to try and help with the wine industry, so who knows where it will go..........but again, the climate will not help their cause.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Still does not make it a quality product, just because it has brand strength, does not mean it has quality' just means it sells and was a good investment for the company concerned.

Tribant sold millions of cars, had brand strength, not quality

A Top 100 result at the Sydney International Wine Competition comes hot on the heels of JACOB’S CREEK™ becoming the World’s Most Awarded Winery.

http://www.jacobscreek.com/sg/news/a-hundred-to-one-a-top-100-result-at-the-sydney-international-wine-competition

Edited by marcusarelus

You can buy this:

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/alamos-cabernet-sauvignon-40018

Which retails in the UK for around £8-10 a bottle (320-400 baht).

In Thailand around 905 baht here

https://www.iwsthailand.com/alamoscabernetsauvignon/

The branch at Paseo Mall sometimes have deals and I have paid 30% less.

BTW in Thailand has a cork instead of a screw top ????

RAZZ

• Like 1