Good Wine why is it banned in Thailand

Mark P

28 minutes ago, kkerry said:

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/syrah-shiraz/jacobs-creek-shiraz/p/92245750?s=1108&igrules=true

Now, I can't say it is exactly the same Shiraz as the one you pictured (no Classic on the label) but the USA price for a Jacobs Creek Shiraz... $5.95 or 190 baht... 7,500 miles shipping...

I read in a wine magazine years ago that the parent company  (Pernod Ricard Winemakers) actually "dump" the product into the European wine market, and restrict their better brands into the euro markets.

12 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Every Trader Joe's across the USA sells organic red wine for $4 USD while you brag about $20 garbage wine. Paris- $5 organics and dozens of decent options for $3. 

The prices in Thailand for wine are just stupid.

I think we should tell the OP wine is not banned in Thailand and two what price is stupid?  Is an extra 200 baht (for me once a week) stupid?  Hardly when I save 50,000 baht per month on rent.  Seems like a smart trade.  However, since I imagine you don't live in Thailand or have not been here more than a few months - stupid may be different for you.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand could probably make decent wine if it imported some oenologists and technology to do it. Thai wines have too much residual sugars, as winemakers here don't seem to have any experience in dealing with stuck ferments.

Thailand actually has decent wine. At least I was in a restaurant in Chiang Kham were the owner had his own wine yards. most bottles in the 600TBH range and quality on par with mid range french wines (6€ - 8€, perhaps 10€)

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think we should tell the OP wine is not banned in Thailand and two what price is stupid?  Is an extra 200 baht (for me once a week) stupid?  Hardly when I save 50,000 baht per month on rent.  Seems like a smart trade.  However, since I imagine you don't live in Thailand or have not been here more than a few months - stupid may be different for you.  

Roughly 400 baht difference between a bottle of Jacob's Creek in Thailand and the same in the UK (double).

Not acceptable to me.

Came through Dubai a couple of nights ago and thought I would treat myself and my wife to a cheap bottle of drinkable wine. Asked the guy in duty free for a cheap, drinkable, reasonably sweet bottle of white wine.

Offered me a brand I'd never heard of for 30 USD. He said that it was the cheapest. Told him that he was having a laugh and walked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

however I have never tasted them despite trying, and the best that I could possibly say about them was that they were lacking body and depth.

Never tasted them but can say they lacked body & depth. Are you pschycic?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Jacobs creek vintage is about $2 more expensive than Singapore or USA.  Is that astronomical? 

With respect to the US, this is completely incorrect.  Same as many other western countries too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I found a reasonable Australian Red in one bottle shop, reasonable price ( at least 4 times the Australian price, but I paid it) . It had not travelled well at all, ended up using it in a red wine sauce after the first glass.

Yes that can be a problem here, especially if bottles are stored upright in a shop, or in a window, or the shop has no air conditioning.

Having said that, and in response to another post, many importers these days do ship their wines in refrigerated containers or similar, so the problem is not as prevalent as it used to be I believe.

In the past if I have bought a wine which is "off" I simply take it back and ask the staff to taste it, and in one particular case the wine was so foul that they wouldn't go anywhere near it, so that was replaced on the spot.

As I said in an earlier post I do get a lot of my wine these days from importers and distributors and they are only too willing to change any bottle that I find is "faulty".

9 minutes ago, swerve said:

Jacob's Creek is $20+ US here and $8 in the US.

Jacob's Creek Shiraz Cabernet Classic 2017 500 baht USA 600 baht Thailand.

You write as though it is one kind of wine.  How many do they make?  100?

https://www.winechateau.com/products/jacobs-creek-shiraz-cabernet-classic-2017

Edited by marcusarelus

55 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In the UK a bottle of Jacobs Creek retails for £6 (240 baht). In Thailand a similar bottle retails for 7-800 baht.

Jacob's Creek Shiraz Cabernet £7.49

https://homedeliverywine.com/

I believe I paid 500 for it at Makro. 

Over the last few years we’ve seen Jacobs Creek’s ‘Reserve’ range of regional wines become a discount favourite, often used by retailers as a loss leader to bring people through the door. I don’t blame them really, the range is reliably good (particularly the Chardonnay) and customers love ’em. But what it has done is drag the ‘real’ price of the JC Reserve range down from the $19 RRP to circa $11.99/bottle, with the expectation then that retailers will also pay less for the wines.

https://www.ozwinereview.com/2015/12/jacobs-creek-reserve-barossa-signature.html

I drink a bottle a week for medicinal purposes - one glass per day and my budget it 1000 baht per bottle because after the first glass it goes into the refrigerator and I can't see spending more than that on a wine that has been open 3 days in the fridge.  

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Marcus, you are out of your depth here, you are talking about 200 baht differences when is some case it's more like 800 baht. A Jacobs Creek Merlot sells in the US for 200 Baht, as does a Cab Sav, same wine here is at least 750 Baht. A Stanley 4 litre Cab Sav is A$15 in Australia, here, if you can find it is at least 1000 Baht, or A$40, and this is real wine, not adulterated "fruit wine" you find in Thailand.

Is the Jacobs Creek a fruit wine or are you out of your depth discussing it?

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Yes that can be a problem here, especially if bottles are stored upright in a shop, or in a window, or the shop has no air conditioning.

Having said that, and in response to another post, many importers these days do ship their wines in refrigerated containers or similar, so the problem is not as prevalent as it used to be I believe.

In the past if I have bought a wine which is "off" I simply take it back and ask the staff to taste it, and in one particular case the wine was so foul that they wouldn't go anywhere near it, so that was replaced on the spot.

As I said in an earlier post I do get a lot of my wine these days from importers and distributors and they are only too willing to change any bottle that I find is "faulty".

As most bottles now have a twist off cap instead of a cork it makes little difference if they are stored upright. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Jacob's Creek Shiraz Cabernet £7.49

https://homedeliverywine.com/

I believe I paid 500 for it at Makro. 

Over the last few years we’ve seen Jacobs Creek’s ‘Reserve’ range of regional wines become a discount favourite, often used by retailers as a loss leader to bring people through the door. I don’t blame them really, the range is reliably good (particularly the Chardonnay) and customers love ’em. But what it has done is drag the ‘real’ price of the JC Reserve range down from the $19 RRP to circa $11.99/bottle, with the expectation then that retailers will also pay less for the wines.

https://www.ozwinereview.com/2015/12/jacobs-creek-reserve-barossa-signature.html

I drink a bottle a week for medicinal purposes - one glass per day and my budget it 1000 baht per bottle because after the first glass it goes into the refrigerator and I can't see spending more than that on a wine that has been open 3 days in the fridge.  

The website you quoted is expensive. £6 -£6.50 in my local supermarket. I have looked for wine in Makro on a number of occasions, (every time I go in). Never seen any bottle of Jacobs Creek for less than 750 baht.

Your Makro must be different. Very different.

Admittedly I'm not a wine buff but I know what I like. I only really drink a good 10 year old Rioja by choice, normally £10 (400 baht) in the UK. Saw one in Freshfoods, my local supermarket, for 1000 baht, looked long and lovingly at it but didn't buy. Probably would have been corked anyway.

The only reason that I would buy any Jacobs Creek wine is for my wife to have a small glass and for me to cook with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, it's not, at least none of the ones I've bought here have been, but there's at least a 500 baht difference in the price from Australia and the US to Thailand, and much more of a price difference on cask wines. So, please, if you don't have a clue as to wine prices both here and in Australia, don't be presenting yourself as having knowledge on the subject. All wine prices are available on the internet for both Australia and the US, so there's no excuse for ignorance.

Then why write, "A Jacobs Creek Merlot sells in the US for 200 Baht, as does a Cab Sav, same wine here is at least 750 Baht. A Stanley 4 litre Cab Sav is A$15 in Australia, here, if you can find it is at least 1000 Baht, or A$40, and this is real wine, not adulterated "fruit wine" you find in Thailand."  Trying to imply that Jacobs Creek is a fruit wine?