Good Wine why is it banned in Thailand

Mark P

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The website you quoted is expensive. £6 -£6.50 in my local supermarket. I have looked for wine in Makro on a number of occasions, (every time I go in). Never seen any bottle of Jacobs Creek for less than 750 baht.

Your Makro must be different. Very different.

Admittedly I'm not a wine buff but I know what I like. I only really drink a good 10 year old Rioja by choice, normally £10 (400 baht) in the UK. Saw one in Freshfoods, my local supermarket, for 1000 baht, looked long and lovingly at it but didn't buy. Probably would have been corked anyway.

The only reason that I would buy any Jacobs Creek wine is for my wife to have a small glass and for me to cook with.

I guess all Jacobs Creek wines are the same?  Sorry, no. 

http://www.wineanorak.com/jacobscreek.htm

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The price of different varieties of Jacobs Creek doesn't vary much in the UK. They all have the reputation of being cheap plonk. Probably the most common house wine found in pubs in the UK, mainly due to it's price.

I've seen them here from 400 to 900 big difference in price and quality and grape. 

I use the Thai fruit/wine mix to cook with. 

Edited by marcusarelus

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You may have seen a Jacobs Creek for sale somewhere, sometime, probably a run out special, for 400 baht, but that is not the usual price, even the cheapest sells normally for over 700 baht, so I'd wish you'd give up on this ludicrous argument that there's little difference in the price of Australian wines, or any other country for that matter, and Thailand.

The Aussie and Chili wines are the cheapest imports for quality ratio.  That was my point not that wines were a good buy in Thailand because they are not except when taken into consideration as a percent of the whole expense thing they are a small portion of a much less expensive lifestyle for the same money West vs Thailand.  The cheapest prices I find on a regular basis are at Makro.  There is also a large difference in the kind and quality of Jacobs Creek wines for sale here.  I'm OK with the wines here and don't see it as a problem for example I go to the Italian buffet at Bistro 43 once a month and have a house red with dinner for 100 baht or so and it's not bad.  The all you can eat Italian 480 baht and a good deal.  All and all things are cheap. 

Edited by marcusarelus

I got wines from my wife's company (F&B import) recently they cleared some of the wine stock and was getting mancura etnia 2015 merlot and shiraz too I think for 107 baht a bottle. The much better white sav-blanc I got for 300. Unfortunately one of the BKK sales girls sold the remaining 2k bottles to a wedding planner 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

It‘s all part of the lawmakers‘ strategy. High tariffs and taxes on healthy products like wine and beer. Low taxes on rum and rice whiskey.
Low class people should stick with crap booze and pass away before they turn 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Just now, CLS said:

It‘s all part of the lawmakers‘ strategy. High tariffs and taxes on healthy products like wine and beer. Low taxes on rum and rice whiskey.
Low class people should stick with crap booze and pass away before they turn 60.

https://www.austrade.gov.au/Australian/Export/Export-markets/Countries/Thailand/Industries/Wine

The power of the big “beer” producers in Thailand! I use the word in quote because its foul stuff ! So they make sure even Wines are far more expensive than need to be and I reiterate ! Thailand has free trade agreement with Australia .. meaningless though.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't say anything about Australian tax.  I'm not wrong about anything.  The best value in imported wine in Thailand is Australian wine because it is taxed only half as much as other countries and the difference is a few hundred baht a bottle for moderately priced wine.

I'm always on topic and to answer the OP's question again for about the 10th time.  Wine is not banned in Thailand. 

Not that he cared as he was only a click baiter and never came back. 

Jacobs creek is 2.5 times more expensive in Thailand than it is in Sweden! And I know people in Sweden think wine is expensive compared to other countries in Europe. And regarding transport I think Sweden is a bit further away from Australia than Thailand... And what is Chili you wrote about before? Do you mean Chile? A country in South America?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Isaanben said:

Jacobs creek is 2.5 times more expensive in Thailand than it is in Sweden! And I know people in Sweden think wine is expensive compared to other countries in Europe. And regarding transport I think Sweden is a bit further away from Australia than Thailand... And what is Chili you wrote about before? Do you mean Chile? A country in South America?

Yes my spell checker went to sleep.  Chile has a fair trade with Thailand. 

19 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Sounds like you are definitely out of the loop outside of Thailand.

Nothing that you've said in this thread rings true about the West..

Bickering over tax costs is fools play imo.

All I care about is how much an item costs me out the door.

I don't buy wine in Thailand anymore because:

*It costs triple what it costs everywhere else in the world

*It isn't stored correctly

*It's low grade nasty

Any more?  Have you been to Thailand more than once and for how long? 

I said many wines have a twist off cap so it is not necessary to store it laying down.  Am I correct? 

Are all Jacobs Creek wines low grade and nasty? 

A couple of hundred baht isin't much to me and the wine is decent - not great but decent and the Aussie imports are much better than Thai wine. 

Tax is the majority of the price of wine in Thailand and it certainly is important when Australia is 54% lower than other countries. 

Thai beer and wine is awful and the Aussie imports are not the same price as other places but it's the best you are going to do here.  Get over it. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Happystance said:

You, sir, are not correct. 

You did not say "many" you said "most are twist off" and those are 2 different arguments, and embarrassingly incorrect.

Perhaps you can bluff your way through many conversations but it isn't working here.

Well..I went down to the local Bottle-O this morning and checked out the Jacobean Greek wines..

Price was $7.85-approx 160-70 baht.

So I asked the owner did he think it was worth 3 times the price..this was the look he gave me..

DSCN0053.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happystance said:

Sounds like you are definitely out of the loop outside of Thailand.

Nothing that you've said in this thread rings true about the West..

Bickering over tax costs is fools play imo.

All I care about is how much an item costs me out the door.

I don't buy wine in Thailand anymore because:

*It costs triple what it costs everywhere else in the world

*It isn't stored correctly

*It's low grade nasty

I hope you don't mind me posting something in relation to one of your posts, because it did mention about "storage" and this was something that was brought up by MA and as I have got him on ignore, I don't want to reply to one of his posts because it just becomes a nonsense.

Anyway he did mention this, "As most bottles now have a twist off cap instead of a cork it makes little difference if they are stored upright". And I was wondering if this was a reference to something I wrote a few posts back about storage here and being stored upright etc, etc, so let me clarify what I was meaning..........

Firstly, there are wine bottles here which have corks, so storing upright can dry the corks out and allows air in which can spoil the wine, and secondly, bottles standing upright in a window through which the sun can shine, will prematurely age that wine.

Again I don't know if there was a reference to my post, however I just thought I would make it clear without actually replying directly to this irritating poster.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happystance said:

You, sir, are not correct. 

You did not say "many" you said "most are twist off" and those are 2 different arguments, and embarrassingly incorrect.

Perhaps you can bluff your way through many conversations but it isn't working here.

If you look at all of the wine bottled this year I think you will find most have a twist off cap.  In Thailand most wines that are imported are of moderate price and have a twist off cap.  So storage is not a problem as you suggested. 

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I hope you don't mind me posting something in relation to one of your posts, because it did mention about "storage" and this was something that was brought up by MA and as I have got him on ignore, I don't want to reply to one of his posts because it just becomes a nonsense.

Anyway he did mention this, "As most bottles now have a twist off cap instead of a cork it makes little difference if they are stored upright". And I was wondering if this was a reference to something I wrote a few posts back about storage here and being stored upright etc, etc, so let me clarify what I was meaning..........

Firstly, there are wine bottles here which have corks, so storing upright can dry the corks out and allows air in which can spoil the wine, and secondly, bottles standing upright in a window through which the sun can shine, will prematurely age that wine.

Again I don't know if there was a reference to my post, however I just thought I would make it clear without actually replying directly to this irritating poster.

If you look at the photo I posted the wines from Chile have a cork and are stored on their side as are all of my wines.  However as of late most wines imported to Thailand have a twist off cap and it does not matter if stored upright or on their side. 

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you look at the prices I quoted?  It is a couple of hundred baht.  You can find prices all over the map.  I pay a couple of hundred baht more. 

You show me a pic of the A$12 (272 Baht) Jacobs Creek for less than 500 Baht. A photo taken in the store clearly showing the label with price will suffice. Of course that won't explain the hundreds of other bottled and cask wines that have a 300% mark-up.

Edited by giddyup

11 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

The power of the big “beer” producers in Thailand! I use the word in quote because its foul stuff ! So they make sure even Wines are far more expensive than need to be and I reiterate ! Thailand has free trade agreement with Australia .. meaningless though.

Australian wines are too expensive in Thailand but less expensive than other wines from other countries of similar quality that is why the free trade agreement is not meaningless. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The US price is close to 400 baht.  I would not expect, you would compare a domestic wine with an imported one.  So I'd really need to show you a price tag of 600 baht. If you think I would actually go to the store and take a photo for you. 

In general my point remains it's a couple of hundred baht which is far outweighed by the other savings I achieve by living in Thailand as opposed to the USA.  

What does the US price have to do with it? You were the one that posted the link showing the JC for A$12. You are starting to ramble now, further discussion totally pointless.

I have a nice Chilean merlot with 6 years ageing on it I paid 590 baht for, it is very drinkable and I am able to find some nice french wines for not much more, its a matter of looking. I cant get the quality of wine I drank in Australia easily here without paying but there are definitely good drinking wines if you look at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

Yes, any half decent wine here, if you can find one, is far too expensive & I, for one refuse to pay the excessive mark up, no doubt due to the Thai breweries monopolies here. But what adds insult to injury for me is the fact that I can cross the border into Laos & have a large selection of quality European wines for European prices. The benefits of having been colonised I suppose....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

I have a nice Chilean merlot with 6 years ageing on it I paid 590 baht for, it is very drinkable and I am able to find some nice french wines for not much more, its a matter of looking. I cant get the quality of wine I drank in Australia easily here without paying but there are definitely good drinking wines if you look at reasonable prices.

Agree with all you've said and I am currently drinking an Aussie red made from Syrah and Grenache grapes 

and it costs me 440 baht a bottle, and in my mind it has to be the best value out there.

As you have said there are others around if you care to look and that keeps me a little busy and a little interested, as it is a hobby of mine anyway.