BANGKOK 24 May 2019 20:36
Orton Rd

Dashcam recommedations?

Looks like it's time to get one, mrs says they are all 'crap' going on the relatives which never seem to work for long. lazada has loads of cheap Chinese stuff but probably not very good. What is a reasonably priced make for front and rear cover?

• Haha 1

I paid just over 1000 baht for mine and its worked for 2 years now.

It's very basic though and only forward facing. I would definitely get a forward and rear setup next time, as you say.

I also went for the 4 Gb SD card thinking 'it loops round when full' so why pay more. Wrong.

I had a near miss recently and looked at the content on my laptop for the first time a few days later just to see 'how close' to death I came. I soon worked out that a 3 or 4  hour journey filled the card, so my 'incident' was not on the card at all. While not a huge problem in hindsight i would opt for a larger card as it would be better to be able to look back at least a few days.

• Like 2

Missus has been using one a long time on he told car seems ok she's away at moments not sure of source. I'll show a pic I reckon you’ll find it on Lazada or somewhere. Not expensive

I drive an elderly Vitara with poor low rear vision I'd be very interested to get one of those reversing screens like many new SUVs etc have.Perhaps if anyone knows about these I could learn on your thread. I believe the screen can be in the interior mirror anyone tried these .......I was hoping for the "Grid" which is safe to reverse into doubt if the mirror ones have these, but they'd be easy to fit. They would of course need a camera in the rear somewhere.......maybe the mirror itself has a forward camera too.

Hope I'm not butting into your thread but may be good for u too.

IMG_7070.JPG

• Like 1

I paid just over 1000 baht for mine and its worked for 2 years now.

It's very basic though and only forward facing. I would definitely get a forward and rear setup next time, as you say.

I also went for the 4 Gb SD card thinking 'it loops round when full' so why pay more. Wrong.

I had a near miss recently and looked at the content on my laptop for the first time a few days later just to see 'how close' to death I came. I soon worked out that a 3 or 4  hour journey filled the card, so my 'incident' was not on the card at all. While not a huge problem in hindsight i would opt for a larger card as it would be better to be able to look back at least a few days.

Really? I think they should loop.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

If the camera doesn't loop, it's not a dash cam, or you have something turned off in the menu by mistake.

(Or the card is corrupt)

The VIofo A119V2 is reliable, and has capacitor instead of a battery.  (Better for thailand heat)

• Like 2

They hardly cost an arm and a leg....is it really necessary to do "research" into what the best ones to buy are.

I usually buy if the price seems reasonsble (as I do with most items like air/cons, phones etc.,).

When they do give problems it often can be fixed by the "settings".

I reckon it will take you about 6 months for you to find out if your dashcam is any good, by which time an even newer model will be on the market.

For what it's worth, I bought a DrivePro 3500 4 years ago and it is still working. THB 3600. 

Whether there is much point apart from getting 5% off your insurance is debatable. In my unfortunate experience, the Farang is always in the wrong, despite dashcam evidence. 

• Sad 1

@Orton Rd good site here for comparisons/reviews forums -

https://carcamcentral.com/

As another poster mentioned been several threads but I know the search function can be difficult....

I also have a Viofo A119

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, NokNokJoke said:

If the camera doesn't loop, it's not a dash cam, or you have something turned off in the menu by mistake.

(Or the card is corrupt)

The VIofo A119V2 is reliable, and has capacitor instead of a battery.  (Better for thailand heat)

Viofo A129 Duo Review

Viofo website

IDV Mini Camera

(The latter helps re road rage etc if you have to get out or can be used to record evidence of say aggressive dogs while walking your own)

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Most useful information here, though I may go for the cheap one.
Seems to me they’re all let down by have power leads dangling around......hard to make them neat.
Anyone used one that’s built into the rear view mirror?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Most useful information here, though I may go for the cheap one.
Seems to me they’re all let down by have power leads dangling around......hard to make them neat.
Anyone used one that’s built into the rear view mirror?

How To Hide Your Dashcam Wiring for Clean Install

(For a small fee a garage can do it while you have lunch)

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1