Elite visa help please

I kind of look at it this way.  Compare it to say a one year non immigrant O visa.  The visa is valid for one year.  But you can keep getting yearly extensions.  You don't keep getting a new visa. You do a similar thing with the Elite visa, for one more year anyway past the visa expiration date.  A crude analogy but I think you get the idea

• Like 1

Dear all,

thank you for all the help and positive messages and even a compliment, really nice of you to take the time.

As an update, I called the Elite call center this morning and as they couldn't answer me, they had a sales call me back.

I asked him about it and he told me straight forward that it was not possible. That now with the new boss at immigration, things got tightened a lot (Big Joke? Thought he was gone) and that right now there were many issues with even Elite members. He did mention that it was not giving high privileges anymore. Honestly, he didn't make me feel great about it for someone working for the company, not a great sales pitch..

He then said that it was a "gamble" at the airport immigration, that my boyfriend might get 1 year if the officer doesn't check the expiry date. But if they check he'll get only the remainder of the visa or maybe 30 days if the expiry date is sooner than that. 

He finished by saying that anyway, even if my boyfriend ends up getting one year, since his visa would be expired he would be staying in the country without a valid visa and that it would be illegal and would end up in legal troubles. Which is the opposite of what I've read on this thread so far. And I think many of you have more experience on the subject than him..

He also said that since the visa expired on May 25 and that it now takes more time to apply for the visa, he recommends to reapply soon (very soon). I know he is a salesman and that he gets paid on commission. He probably is trying to get a quick sale through me by scaring me off.

But, do you think there is any truth to what he told me? My next step this week will be to contact the immigration at the airport and hear from them.

Any help from you would still be really appreciated!

ps: UKRULES, you said you will find out by yourself next weekend, would be great if you update us afterward. thank you very much!

36 minutes ago, MsBom said:

He then said that it was a "gamble" at the airport immigration, that my boyfriend might get 1 year if the officer doesn't check the expiry date. But if they check he'll get only the remainder of the visa or maybe 30 days if the expiry date is sooner than that. 

As I said. They will not advertise or encourage the fact because they want you to buy more membership. The IO will ALWAYS look at the visas expiry date.

36 minutes ago, MsBom said:

He finished by saying that anyway, even if my boyfriend ends up getting one year, since his visa would be expired he would be staying in the country without a valid visa and that it would be illegal and would end up in legal troubles. Which is the opposite of what I've read on this thread so far. And I think many of you have more experience on the subject than him..

That is not true. The visas validity and the permission to stay validity are entirely separate. If he receives a full 1 year permit to stay he can legally stay for the whole year regardless of when the visa expires.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MsBom said:

He also said that since the visa expired on May 25 and that it now takes more time to apply for the visa, he recommends to reapply soon (very soon).

I do agree with everything said by the forum members, however i would like to add that its worth considering two things.

Everything is getting tighter, before it said on their website it takes 3 weeks to process the application, now it say 1-3 month(i rechecked the site and now its 1-4 month!) , So in a year the process may indeed be more difficult.

The price for 20 years is 1 or 2 mil now(depending on the package), In a year that may be higher.

If you were seriously thinking about the 20years visa, I personally wouldn't take both those risks and buy it now.

Edited by LongTang
  • Like 1

Msbom,
The response was OK if there's anything else we can help you with please feel free to ask.

LongTang,
Actually my (Thai) girlfriend agrees with you, she said if I am serious about applying again knowing (Thailand) her words then makes more sense to her to apply before expiration as it might be more troublesome to reapply after expiry.

The thing is I'm now at retirement age but still looking at this option as the way things are now and the possible changes in the coming years I just feel it's easier to take this option.

Personally

Might be wrong but I definitely have a feeling the money we have to depo in the bank and certain rules and regulations will get raised/changed and be forced into health insurance of their choosing etc it just doesn't sit well with me.

Ultimately its a personal choice.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Thank you very much for these responses. A lot of good points are made and it gave us a lot to consider. Ultimately, he is 32 yo and the point would be for him to get a secured visa until he reaches retirement age (although who knows what will be the requirements to retire in 20 years). Maybe the best option is to renew now with a small discount.

But the fact that they give discounts to reapply seems to show they anticipate people to use the extra year and that is lost money for them.

A lot to consider indeed..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsBom said:

Thank you very much for these responses. A lot of good points are made and it gave us a lot to consider. Ultimately, he is 32 yo and the point would be for him to get a secured visa until he reaches retirement age (although who knows what will be the requirements to retire in 20 years). Maybe the best option is to renew now with a small discount.

But the fact that they give discounts to reapply seems to show they anticipate people to use the extra year and that is lost money for them.

A lot to consider indeed..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Don't gamble with the future for a few bath or an extra year, he is only 32 and apart from a marriage visa, the elite is the only safe alternative. Just be grateful this kind of option even exists and go for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongTang said:

Don't gamble with the future for a few bath or an extra year, he is only 32 and apart from a marriage visa, the elite is the only safe alternative. Just be grateful this kind of option even exists and go for it.

Agreed & the 40,000 THB is fair recompense for not getting the extra year... 

6 hours ago, Stanley78 said:

Yea I discussed it some more with my wife this morning and decided to just go ahead and renew for 20 years with the 40k small discount (960k instead of 1m THB).

Just to get it over and done with for the next 20 years.

Basic comparison;

26 years for 1,500,000 = 57,692 pa. (Taking a 6th year)

25 year for 1,460,000 = 58,400 pa.  (Renewing at the end of 5 years with a discount)

Even though renewing with a discount gives you 1 year less and costs more per annum, I think locking in 20 years at 1M is the sensible play.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 9:37 AM, Stanley78 said:

Yea I discussed it some more with my wife this morning and decided to just go ahead and renew for 20 years with the 40k small discount (960k instead of 1m THB).

Just to get it over and done with for the next 20 years.

smart move. I think I will do the same when mine expires 2 years. 20 years for 960k is a really good deal. 

• Like 1