International Direct Deposit changes....question

I asked this question before and it was apparently deleted because I can't find it with the search function.

Does the IDD addition of Thailand and other countries, mean that I can go to Kasikorn Bank or any other Thai

bank and open a direct deposit account for my American Social Security payment? When I first came here, only

Bangkok Bank could receive them. I cannot seem to get straight answers unobscured by jargon and abbreviations, so any

such help is appreciated. My visa situation has nearly put me into the hospital with the prospect of having to leave Thailand.

I need information if anyone has it,   Many thanks,

34 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You need to contact SSA Manila via email and request the change to your KBank account.

You need to look at the topic I posted a link to. The new international direct deposit is not up and running yet.

You and the bank have to completed this form to be sent to Manilla. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

I agree with Khun Fred re: "cannot get straight answers unobscured by jargon"

For example...… I appreciate all the info provided by ubonjoe, however he states that IDD is not up and running yet. If this is the case then it would seem to be a waste to forward any pertinent docs to Manila. Please explain what I am missing here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American Citizen Services Unit, US Embassy Bangkok, has posted an announcement that IDD is now available for some Federal benefit payments - the announcement also includes contact information.  The announcement is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-direct-deposit-of-federal-benefit-payments/?fbclid=IwAR042HaH9MO-iiMlvfuF_3GUcV0oxI45OwbNhhJxglpVlxOjNX51fUWKhhE

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, albertik said:

I agree with Khun Fred re: "cannot get straight answers unobscured by jargon"

For example...… I appreciate all the info provided by ubonjoe, however he states that IDD is not up and running yet. If this is the case then it would seem to be a waste to forward any pertinent docs to Manila. Please explain what I am missing here.

I was replying to his post where he said it could be done by sending an email to Manila.

He could send the form to Manila and see what happens if he wanted to. Perhaps IDD could be working by then.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to look at the topic I posted a link to. The new international direct deposit is not up and running yet.

You and the bank have to completed this form to be sent to Manilla. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf

Perhaps you have recieved this as well..

Message for U.S. Federal Benefits Recipients

Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

[email protected]

Fri, Apr 19, 8:03 AM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to
cleardot.gif

Seal with white background

Message for U.S. Federal Benefits Recipients:

The United States Department of the Treasury now offers direct deposit of federal benefit payments, including Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and Office of Personnel Management (OPM), to banks in Thailand.  The payments are automatically converted to Thai Baht (THB) at the international exchange rate before they are deposited in the account.  U.S. dollar payments are not available.  The United States Department of the Treasury does not charge fees to make the deposits.  However, Thai banks may charge fees.  

Direct deposit is the safest, most convenient and reliable method of receiving your benefits.  The payment is electronically transmitted to your bank account and you have immediate access to your funds by the payment date.  There are no delays, including missing and stolen checks.

You do not have to do anything if you are currently enrolled in direct deposit.  Your payments will continue to be sent to your current bank.

If you wish to sign up for direct deposit or switch your direct deposit arrangement to another bank in Thailand, please contact the agency listed below.

Social Security Administration

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930

Manila, Philippines

Email:              [email protected]

Phone No.:      +63 2 301 2000 ext. 9 (from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Manila Time, Tuesdays and Thursdays except Philippine and U.S. Holidays)

Department of Veterans Affairs

Email:              [email protected]

Phone:             +1 (918) 781-7550 (from 9:00am to 5:30pm, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday)

Office of Personnel Management

Retirement Operations Center

PO Box 45

Boyers, PA 16017 U.S.A.

Email:              [email protected]

Phone:             +1-888-767-6738 (from 7:40 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Perhaps you have recieved this as well..

Yes I received it the day after it was posted on the embassy website.

I suggest you read some of the posts in the topic on the home country (link in post #2). People have already contacted the office in Manila about it and have been told they are not ready yet to process the direct deposit forms for Thailand.

• 11 months later...

I am having my US Social Security sent to my Kasikorn Bank account here in Thailand by Direct Deposit.  Unfortunately, Kasikorn Bank shows the deposit as a DOMESTIC TRANSFER instead of an INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER.  Of course my local immigration office says they need to know where the money came from.  Kasikorn Bank here in Udon Thani doesn't have a clue.  Checking the Social Security website doesn't help either as it does not show the name of the bank just the last 4 numbers of the account.  Has anyone come across this same problem?  Any suggestions to get to the bottom of this dilemma would be greatly appreiated.

19 minutes ago, fdimike said:

I am having my US Social Security sent to my Kasikorn Bank account here in Thailand by Direct Deposit.  Unfortunately, Kasikorn Bank shows the deposit as a DOMESTIC TRANSFER instead of an INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER.  Of course my local immigration office says they need to know where the money came from.  Kasikorn Bank here in Udon Thani doesn't have a clue.  Checking the Social Security website doesn't help either as it does not show the name of the bank just the last 4 numbers of the account.  Has anyone come across this same problem?  Any suggestions to get to the bottom of this dilemma would be greatly appreiated.

You should be able to get credit advices from the bank that will show all the info about the transfers.

I just finished speaking with Kasikorn Bank in BKK about the issue.  They are going to email me copies of the Credit Advice for all the international transfers.  Additionally, the lady told me I should ask for a DETAILED BANK STATEMENT which will show where the money came from.  thanks to all for the help.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

I have noted that K-Bank seems more pro-active than Bangkok Bank, on things like "detailed bank statements". Maybe I am banking with the wrong institution.

No, Bangkok Bank is the best for correct coding on local statements dependant on the method of transfer.

With K-bank you will always require additional credit receipts, or statements from their HQ as proof of International transfers.