Good VPN for Thailand

KhaoYai

OK Guys, thanks for that. Perhaps you can answer another question for me - as I'm not in Thailand full time yet, I haven't bothered getting an internet connection.  At the moment I use my phone as a 'hotspot' to connect my laptop then HDMI to my TV to watch some of the free internet chanels like Filmontv. If I want to use a VPN I guess I have to get a fixed internet connection?  There's no way of making my phone's location private?

Not such a problem now - we had nothing other than AIS Airnet available a while back (Airnet equipment still in the house) but I saw 3bb working up a pole on my Soi last week so they must have 'arrived'.  I tried talking to AIS about reconnecting Airnet last year - the first few people I spoke to didn't even know what Airnet was but I was eventually told that they no longer accept new customers, they must be winding it down.

VYPR (Viper) VPN is what I use.  Got it on two laptops and my iphone (phone internet connection is private whether using wifi or your carrier's internet plan).  They have a great selection of servers all around the world (UK included).  I've never had a problem with them yet, happy customer here.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:58 PM, KhaoYai said:

OK Guys, thanks for that. Perhaps you can answer another question for me - as I'm not in Thailand full time yet, I haven't bothered getting an internet connection.  At the moment I use my phone as a 'hotspot' to connect my laptop then HDMI to my TV to watch some of the free internet chanels like Filmontv. If I want to use a VPN I guess I have to get a fixed internet connection?  There's no way of making my phone's location private?

Not such a problem now - we had nothing other than AIS Airnet available a while back (Airnet equipment still in the house) but I saw 3bb working up a pole on my Soi last week so they must have 'arrived'.  I tried talking to AIS about reconnecting Airnet last year - the first few people I spoke to didn't even know what Airnet was but I was eventually told that they no longer accept new customers, they must be winding it down.

You can use openvpn with your phone. I think most modern phone also has integrated VPN in the configuration. Personally I prefer to setup my own openvpn server on a vps in Singapore. It costs me about $5 a month. I use Vultr.com and I think because it's a US company the ip appear like I'm in the US. 

Screenshot_20190427_183245_com.android.settings.jpg

27 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone tried these VPN's with Sky TV? I'm told that Sky and the BBC are the most successful at tracking VPN's.

I have been using 'My Expat Network' now for 10 years. I rarely have any issues with the BBC. If the Beeb do latch on to them, they are able to switch their ISP in moments and normal service is resumed.

I'm beginning to think that MEN are so agile that the BBC have given up trying to chase them!

Check them out at:

https://www.my-expat-network.com/?gclid=CMKm8syUy6YCFQmMzAode095Iw

Ivacy is on my pc /phone/ laptop and tablet. You can apply it ANYWHERE.
Yup. 5 devices simultaneously. For me PC, laptop, mobile phone, tablet and android box. Got a nice offer from Ivacy last year. 48 USD for 2 years. Cheap and okay VPN provider.

I tried to pay for Ivacy through their Paymentwall, but even with a VPN set to Europe, the Paymentwall detects somehow that I am in Thailand and I get  the message "This payment method is NOT supported in this Country" :sad:

So the only option for payment available is Credit Card or Paypal !!

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

I tried to pay for Ivacy through their Paymentwall, but even with a VPN set to Europe, the Paymentwall detects somehow that I am in Thailand and I get  the message "This payment method is NOT supported in this Country" :sad:

So the only option for payment available is Credit Card or Paypal !!

What browser?

50 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I tried with Firefox and chrome

Use Firefox - Do this test. If it leaks your real ip, do the fix - just involves changing one setting - no harm to browser, can always change back if you wish (to leak your ip):

https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/

Go to "WebRTC IP Leak Test - Is your IP address leaking?"

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

I just tested on my ipad with vpn on and the ip address is not leaking, also the dns server of my provider is not listed.

I think they are do browser fingerprinting and thus seeing I am in Thailand. Will try again tmrw.

Thx for the help

I use NordVPN.

They have hundreds of servers to the UK and the world. If you want to watch BBC some times you have to switch servers every week, because BBC are good at tracking them. 

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

I just tested on my ipad with vpn on and the ip address is not leaking, also the dns server of my provider is not listed.

I think they are do browser fingerprinting and thus seeing I am in Thailand. Will try again tmrw.

Thx for the help

Before you go to the site:

Firefox:

History link

Clear Recent History

Check Cookies, Cache, Offline Website Data

"I think they are do browser fingerprinting and thus seeing I am in Thailand."

Download Firefox Add-on "CanvasBlocker" by Korbinian Kapsner.

Do you have Geo-Location turned off?

On the privacytools site, under the WebRTC test, "Firefox: Privacy Related 'about:config'Tweaks".

Scroll down to

"geo.enabled = false
Disables geolocation."

Also do the 2nd and 3rd fingerprinting tweaks.
(In my experience the 2nd one causes everything to open small rather than full page, so if that happens to you disable the 2nd one after you solve your issue).

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Before you go to the site:

Firefox:

History link

Clear Recent History

Check Cookies, Cache, Offline Website Data

"I think they are do browser fingerprinting and thus seeing I am in Thailand."

Download Firefox Add-on "CanvasBlocker" by Korbinian Kapsner.

Do you have Geo-Location turned off?

On the privacytools site, under the WebRTC test, "Firefox: Privacy Related 'about:config'Tweaks".

Scroll down to

"geo.enabled = false
Disables geolocation."

Also do the 2nd and 3rd fingerprinting tweaks.
(In my experience the 2nd one causes everything to open small rather than full page, so if that happens to you disable the 2nd one after you solve your issue).

One last thing:

Firefox:

Tools

Options

Privacy & Security

Cookies and Site Data

Manage Data - Note that if a site is listed and there is no number in the Cookie column, it is storing Data even if there is no number listed in the Data column (That's my interpretation at any rate).

and see if they have anything stored on your browser.

Take a look first, but then safest to just click on "Remove All" before you visit the site which is detecting you.

(This has been helpful to me - I thought I was deleting Stored Data, but turns out I hadn't checked that on my cookie killer app - was surprised to see I was storing a lot of sites data).

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

One last thing:

Firefox:

Tools

Options

Privacy & Security

Cookies and Site Data

Manage Data - Note that if a site is listed and there is no number in the Cookie column, it is storing Data even if there is no number listed in the Data column (That's my interpretation at any rate).

and see if they have anything stored on your browser.

Take a look first, but then safest to just click on "Remove All" before you visit the site which is detecting you.

(This has been helpful to me - I thought I was deleting Stored Data, but turns out I hadn't checked that on my cookie killer app - was surprised to see I was storing a lot of sites data).

Done one better, created a BRAND new FF profile, did all the about:config hacks and the rest. But their paymentwall still sees me  being in Thailand with VPN on.

Thx @JimmyJ but when it's this difficult to pay for a VPN service then I wonder how the rest of it will be, I will not pursue this any further.

Thx again, very helpful and really appreciated !

Archived