At least 156 dead, hundreds injured in multiple blasts at churches, hotels on Easter Sunday

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How do you know they were Christians? Many tourists and police were killed in hotels and in other bomb locations and as very few Sri Lankans are Christian it's likely people of other religions also died.

Trying to politicize a tragedy is sick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Christian population in SL is not a rarity. Then, on Easter day the majority of the congregation will be Christians, if not 100%. Hotels, yes there would have been a mixed crowd. But as the star class hotels were having Easter breakfast spreads and other celebrations, on this day it is safe to assume that a sizeable crowd would have been Christians of various denominations. Yes, this was Easter day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Sri_Lanka

27 minutes ago, ravip said:

The Christian population in SL is not a rarity. Then, on Easter day the majority of the congregation will be Christians, if not 100%. Hotels, yes there would have been a mixed crowd. But as the star class hotels were having Easter breakfast spreads and other celebrations, on this day it is safe to assume that a sizeable crowd would have been Christians of various denominations. Yes, this was Easter day.

The staff in the hotels are unlikely to have been Christians and I don't know where you get the notion of an "Easter breakfast"!  It was a typical Islamist indiscriminate terrorist attack - unlike the very targeted mosque shootings in New Zealand, where the shooter made his intentions very clear.

My comment was aimed at the extreme Right who seem to delight in trying to make political points about such outrages, which in my view is sick.

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How do you know they were Christians? Many tourists and police were killed in hotels and in other bomb locations and as very few Sri Lankans are Christian it's likely people of other religions also died.

Trying to politicize a tragedy is sick.

Some people blame religion, some people blame politics.

Perhaps a mix of both ?

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The staff in the hotels are unlikely to have been Christians and I don't know where you get the notion of an "Easter breakfast"!  It was a typical Islamist indiscriminate terrorist attack - unlike the very targeted mosque shootings in New Zealand, where the shooter made his intentions very clear.

My comment was aimed at the extreme Right who seem to delight in trying to make political points about such outrages, which in my view is sick.

If you went there on that day, you would have seen it - nothing to be surprised or sarcastic about. I have personally participated in such instances many times!

I wonder from where you got the notion that the staff in the hotels are unlikely to have been Christians! There are MANY Christians working in hotels in SL.

Thank you for your response, I dont want to argue on subjects such as this.

Edit

Just a small example >>> https://www.yamu.lk/blog/where-to-eat-this-easter

horrible really. patience for the families. sad.

Another incident totally proving that all religions needs to be banned from Earth!

bc all of them are <deleted>  in bloody fairy tales created just for more rant for the rich and powerful and as tools to control masses easily.

just bloodshed, nothing else.

one day it is a muslim killing a christian and another day a buddhist kills a muslim and jews crucified Jesus and crusaders and bigot muslim jihadists and jewhadist zinoists and fascist and racist evangelicals and these bull   s  h   it goes on for more than 2 millenniums.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Some people blame religion, some people blame politics.

Perhaps a mix of both ?

It's conditioning, whether it be political or religious. People can be conditioned to be great, but given that they are conditioned by people more powerful than themselves they are generally conditioned to participate in something horrible, against their own interests, but in the interests of those who have conditioned them. You see it in first world and third world countries alike.

9 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It's conditioning, whether it be political or religious. People can be conditioned to be great, but given that they are conditioned by people more powerful than themselves they are generally conditioned to participate in something horrible, against their own interests, but in the interests of those who have conditioned them. You see it in first world and third world countries alike.

Agree, and the endless, rhetorical question is : who is gaining from it ?

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, and the endless, rhetorical question is : who is gaining from it ?

I'm not sure. Sometimes the answer lies locally and sometimes globally.  Maybe China's involved after paying for the major Sri Lankan port while nearly bankrupting the country. They thrive on instability. Personally, I don't see the angle on what an 8% religious population has to gain by attacking a 9% religious population. Of course I am not at all familiar with the local politics of the region.

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

in the beginning that dont ever trust us you are a non believer and it is not wrong to swindle you,to most of us you you are not much above something we step in,

And rather and lot of those 1.5 billion seem to want to exterminate us or dont care what their brothers do

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unsure if Mods will permit

As I have posted a number of times, not my experience from living in Thailand for a total of four years among Thai Muslims in Nong Prue (bordering Pattaya). Nor anywhere in Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka or Bali. A number of members also have confirmed they have had good experiences with Thai Muslims. I too have worked with Muslims in my professional life (corporate and govt IT sales), never experienced the stuff you're talking about.

Appears you worked in some miserable place, No need to condemn all Muslims based upon your experience, why not focus on those committed to violent jihad.

30 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Katie Hopkins' stupidity is almost on a par with the likes of Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson, not to mention extreme Right commentators in the US like Tucker, Hannity and Ingraham,

I agree with you and would suggest that her words are a borderline case of promoting racial hatred. All social media , in all its forms, should remove such tripe as this and any other religious nonsense from their media platforms.

17 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I agree with you and would suggest that her words are a borderline case of promoting racial hatred. All social media , in all its forms, should remove such tripe as this and any other religious nonsense from their media platforms.

There's hardly a need when that 'Far Right' paintbrush is in such capable hands...

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Easter Sunday, many churches bombed, but throw in a couple of hotel attacks, and voila, the attack was indiscriminate. Is it so hard to give a little respect to the culture being victimized in this instance? This is why the left is being left behind.

Unsure if Mods will permit

As I have posted a number of times, not my experience from living in Thailand for a total of four years among Thai Muslims in Nong Prue (bordering Pattaya). Nor anywhere in Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka or Bali. A number of members also have confirmed they have had good experiences with Thai Muslims. I too have worked with Muslims in my professional life (corporate and govt IT sales), never experienced the stuff you're talking about.

Appears you worked in some miserable place, No need to condemn all Muslims based upon your experience, why not focus on those committed to violent jihad.
Your right they do not seem to be "indoctranated over here,i will give you that,unlike in so many many many parts of the world.in fact most of it

Easter Sunday, many churches bombed, but throw in a couple of hotel attacks, and voila, the attack was indiscriminate. Is it so hard to give a little respect to the culture being victimized in this instance? This is why the left is being left behind.
Sri Lankan culture?

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Your right they do not seem to be "indoctranated over here,i will give you that,unlike in so many many many parts of the world.in fact most of it

OK. Are you claiming to have knowledge of all countries where Muslims live, cause it comes across you're making a lot of assumptions.

9 hours ago, ravip said:

Gloating ISIS fanatics celebrate Sri Lanka attacks as revenge for New Zealand mosque massacre as they praise suicide bombers in online propaganda

Article

Why change the claim in the article? 'fanatics were said to ...' would be correct.

Death toll up to 321 human beings. 

Three HUNDRED and twenty one innocent people slaughtered. 

321 people and counting and the liberal left thought leaders have not once mentioned that they were christians nor called out radical muslim terrorism. 

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, along with local Sri Lankan extremists and not one peep from the left calling out radical islam, islamic hatred, or terrorism. 

Muslim extremism is the biggest threat to modern society since Hitler and nobody on the left even has the balls to acknowledge it, yet have no issue bashing the political right anytime 'someone does something' horrible. 

Complete trash, and I wholly believe there will be more to come. 

22 minutes ago, ravip said:

Changed what?

Can you please read again and confirm?

Revenge claim, as written in your post, was in article as 'fanatics wery said ...'.

So yes, changed, changed significantly.

You have to read the article, not just the header.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Revenge claim, as written in your post, was in article as 'fanatics wery said ...'.

So yes, changed, changed significantly.

This is ALL I copied and pasted from the Article headlines >>> Gloating ISIS fanatics celebrate Sri Lanka attacks as revenge for New Zealand mosque massacre as they praise suicide bombers in online propaganda

The article was NOT written by me. Please read again, and again...

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

This is ALL I copied and pasted from the Article headlines >>> Gloating ISIS fanatics celebrate Sri Lanka attacks as revenge for New Zealand mosque massacre as they praise suicide bombers in online propaganda

The article was NOT written by me. Please read again, and again...

Time for you to read the article, not just the headline. As sometimes happens with quality sources like daily mail, the headline and article differ.

Having said that, I'm sure there will be fanatics celebrating this as revenge, just as there will be fanatics celebrating the Christchurch attack.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Time for you to read the article, not just the headline. As sometimes happens with quality sources like daily mail, the headline and article differ.

Up to you. Enjoy your quality reading... your comments were also not clear as per your accusations. 

On 4/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, mauGR1 said:

Thanks, i think religion will become obsolete in less than 20 years, but it will take forever for the humankind to become really civilised.

Do you truly believe that? For example do you believe that in 20 years Muslims will give up their religion?

I don't think so. Budhists? I dont think so. Name a religion....

1 hour ago, bushdoctor said:

Do you truly believe that? For example do you believe that in 20 years Muslims will give up their religion?

I don't think so. Budhists? I dont think so. Name a religion....

Perhaps 20 years is a bit exaggerated, but i have noticed that the younger generations are less interested in religion.

I don't have stats, but there seem to be a trend.

Archived