Roof tiles - repaint or replace?

Oiler1fan

Recently purchased a new home in Buriram, built to good spec and standard by a well respected local developer.  I did not find any of the normal electrical and plumbing nightmares (sole reason for buying) and the minor issues I did find have been fixed quickly and to my expectation. Did I find nirvana in Isaan? ????.  One thing I want to change is the colour of the roof tiles for cool roof concept.  Radiant barrier is already installed and I have added R37 insulation batts.  Installed are the dime-a-dozen Cpac Monier Elabana in dark brown that need to go ????.  I can just swap out all the tiles to silver titanium color or paint the existing tiles with Beger Coolroof white or similar high quality roof tile paint.  Sadly Jotaroof from Jotun is not available in LOS.  The tile swap I can do thru SCG Home Solution as a turnkey for material and labour, the painting while cheaper is not so straightforward - find a trusted painting crew and the paint, prewash with fungicide, two coats concrete primer, two coats colour and all the waiting in between.  Would like to hear you experiences and recommendations for this task.

Do what you want, swap out the tiles, IMO it will make little difference and painting will just cause an extra roof maintenance period down the line.

If roof construction has been built to insulation standards the roof tiles used will be of little significance to roof heat build up whatever they are.

I recently painted a flat roof i have with a product made by "three bond" - impressed, they make some excellent products, one thing they are not though is cheap, if I was you I would be looking at having their product sprayed on existing roof. 

I have used the TOA roof seal on our 3 houses (tiles and cement sheets) and found it was excellent. Lowered temperature inside by 5-10%, can can actually feel the reflected heat when working on the roof. 

Use silver colour galvanised - Colourbond Aussie corrugated steel sheeting, ... fast on once the tiles are removed. Lasts for 100 years, no painting needed, great heat reflection colour (can fit heat exchanging self drafting exhaust fans into sheets easy as pie), can increase the length of eaves by adjusting sheet lengths (if theres adequate height to the walls) - which also adds shadow length to and cools the building walls!  

And if you want to add to your insulation index in addition to your existing roof insulation you can line the steel sheeting itself with batts easily.

Oh! and its much lighter, and stronger that single tiles (if fixed down well) for any weather conditions should they get extreme!

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Where did you get them? Did you install or did you have a contractor?

SCG rolled batts from Homepro, 0.4m x 1.2m, 425baht each.  Homepro crew installed and did a good job, just needed some guidance on the details.  I used more than expected as I covered the tops of the interior walls and the inside of the exterior walls.  

Archived