I want to join the Thai military but...

KhunArun

Hello, was wondering whether I could join the Thai military even if I cannot speak, read or write Thai fluently. 

Maybe this comes as a surprise to a few people, but I have been interested in the military for a long time, and Thailand. I have a Thai mother and Australian father, and I live in Australia. I don’t have any Thai documents (no Thai passport or ID) and I am eighteen years old. I am able to speak basic Thai. I am also interested in living in Thailand sometime in the future. 

I have read in a few places that they might accept you, but give you simple tasks like office work, translating, etc. 

I also read somewhere that if you have a foreign parent, you are “barred from serving in any capacity higher than a lowly private conscript” and I “will not be admitted to officer's school or any of the NCO academies or any other position within the Ministry of Defense.” Is this true? 

On a side note, if I serve in the Australian military, will that disallow me from serving in the Thai military if I move there at an older age? 

I’m very curious and want to know what possibilities and limitations I have. Sorry for the long questions and thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

nothing wrong with the aussie army, I served for several years and enjoyed it. From what I have seen here it is no where near as good with very questionable service as to what you are made to do. Also the rate of pay will be a lot better there than here but it is entirely up to you, get you thai citizenship and go for it if thats what you want.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you were my son and you wanted a career in the forces I'd encourage you to join the Oz military if you can.

The army camps here are dismal at best and they just play at being solders. 

Goodluck kiddo.

Also, if you do have some interest in joining the OZ army check what education opportunities are available whilst you in the force. 

• Like 2

Father and Mother should be Pure Thai, then you need to have Roi Tri for 2 years in Thai School, then you can get Work in Thai forces,

You are mix Thai, which is not allowed to work in forces,

As others have pointed out, you cannot be promoted in the Thai military unless both parents are Thai citizens, so you would probably spend your time in the military cutting grass and washing dishes.  Also, in the Thai Army you will not get the educational benefits, cheap loans, vocational training that you would get in the Australian Army.

I did a bit of research when my stepson turned 18 and went from thinking that it might 'make a man of him' to realizing that enlisting in the Thai military would just be a waste of time.

Yep if you want a military career or even mandatory minimum enlistment join the ADF.  I was a rifleman the Australian army is world recognised professional fighting force held in a much higher esteem then any branch of the Thai military. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:30 AM, Thongkorn said:

If you have a Thai ID card you can join, 

@Thongkorn
Father is Australian , Mother is Thai.

even he have Thai ID card, he still can't join Thai Army or Police,

He is mixed Thai Australian
Thai Forces and Police jobs are only for Pure Thai Father and Thai Mother.

Thank you

Why would you want to?!?!?

Millions try to get out of it, and here you are trying to get into it!?!?!

Live your life and enjoy it. Let the politicians' children go to the military. 

Edited by djayz

Think about life after the military. Get an education, go to flight training (if your health and eyes permit it) do your time in the military as a trained military pilot and when you get out (or are fed up with the military B.S.) you can go to work for an airline and make a decent living... There is a major shortage of pilots the world over presently and I do not see it easing anytime soon.. Conversely there are not so many military occupations that so readily transfer to the civilian word.. Aircraft Mechanics, air traffic controllers, and a few other occupations you can probably think of.. While being a grunt and the best shot in your unit does not transfer to a well paying civilian job usually..

I would suggest the better option is the ADF, better educational opportunities, housing options, retirement benefits, overseas postings. 

Drawback, Oz has been involved in the unwinnable "war on terrorism" still with troops after 15 years in Afghanistan, and other "peace keeping roles".

The engineers do some amazing works in developing countries.

Like others have asked, why do you want to serve in the military. You mention they may give you office jobs, its true they might if you can read and write Thai. If not you are out of luck. Sounds like its to get some benefits?

My stepson has just been discharged from the RTAF after two years of national service. I can tell you that the opportunities for advancement are limited and it is not a meritocracy based system in any way. If you join via the various military academies and then become a junior officer you may have a chance.

As you are an Australian citizen I would suggest you join the ADF, it is a very professional force. Check on the web and go and talk to the recruiting center, they can advise you the best path. 

Why Not just join the AFP and be transferred to work in Thailand, I had an old friend who did and was there  20 years working undercover, and you get Australian pay and benefits, a better choice I think.

<deleted>! Join the Australian Army reach for an elite unit and you'll get the best military training and arguably inherit the finest, and one of the most respected military lineages in the world.

Diggers are known to be troops you don't want to come up against ...hard as, when the metal meets the meat!

On 4/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, Shot said:

I just don't see any advantage to joining the Thai Army. If you want a taste of Army life, join the Australian Army, they are well trained and organized.

Here is a link for Oz Army information, there are also links for Navy and Air Force on the top of page. Good luck.

https://www.army.gov.au/

The Poms recently relaxed their rules on Commonwealth recruitment.

HTH

Like a lot of other things in Thailand, it depends on who you know and how you approach it.

Maybe try going in and applying and see what happens. You may get an interviewer who knows a distant relative or just respects your effort. If not, at least you tried and no loss of face in that.