I want to join the Thai military but...

KhunArun

If you really are that serious then can you not get one of those funny haircuts in Australia and just wait for the joining desire to pass away ? ????

Sure you can get your Thai ID, but you will need to be in someones Tabian Baan in Thailand in any event plus my friends lad ( Thai/English ) who never bothered to learn Thai here very well got dismissed when he was called to report due to his inability to write  in Thai.

I suspect that this thread has outlived the OP's interest, but I can add one more thing:

I thought that joining the Thai Navy or Air Force would be good options for my stepson, but when I looked into it, I found that there is no direct induction into either of those branches of the military for regular enlisted men.  Instead, everyone joins the Army, goes through boot camp and then the best of the recruits can transfer to the Navy or Air Force. 

Being illiterate in Thai would certainly keep you out of either of those two and would limit your opportunities in the Army.

Bottom line is dont bother , Unless you have money and buy a Rank, otherwise you will be used as a toilet cleaner, They teach them nothing, Just beast you, Its a golden opportunity for Thailand to teach trades, Electrician, Carpenter, Mechanic, and the rest. They get paid very littel and the Army does not support their family while doing military Service,, And the Thai government wounder why so many go AWAL,

On 4/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, seajae said:

nothing wrong with the aussie army, I served for several years and enjoyed it. From what I have seen here it is no where near as good with very questionable service as to what you are made to do. Also the rate of pay will be a lot better there than here but it is entirely up to you, get you thai citizenship and go for it if thats what you want.

I learn something new today! I didn't know Australia has an army. ????