Heat triggers record electricity consumption By The Nation

webfact

Heat triggers record electricity consumption

By The Nation

3de30061bfe496b5008ffc5759d4a4eb-sld.jpe

Nation/Wanchai Kraisormkhajit

Power demand reached a record high on Saturday night apparently as many people turned on their air-conditioners to fight the summer heat.

Roengchai Khongthong, deputy governor of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, disclosed on Sunday that power demand soared to 29,680.3 megawatts at 9.35pm on Saturday while the mercury hovered at around 32 degrees Celsius in Bangkok. 

The power demand on Saturday night broke the previous record of 29,618.8 megawatts recorded on the night of May 11, 2016. Back then, the temperature was round 33 degrees Celsius in Bangkok. 

Roengchai said although the demand for power had soared, Egat has implemented necessary measures to ensure adequate power supply.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368049

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-22

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

Roengchai said although the demand for power had soared, Egat has implemented necessary measures to ensure adequate power supply.

Seeing lines like this always prompts me to ensure that we have adequate fuel for the genset ????

Right now at 5AM (theoretically a low consumption time) our supply is down to 200V ????

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

Adequate, stable power supply would be better.

The leccy was going up & down last night, like a pair of panties with no elastic. (I'm being polite) :laugh:

Even so, it's way cheaper than in the UK. ????

How do you know about panties with no elastic?

You been peeking?:cheesy:

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Adequate, stable power supply would be better.

The leccy was going up & down last night, like a pair of panties with no elastic. (I'm being polite) :laugh:

Even so, it's way cheaper than in the UK. ????

what is the price in the uk?

8 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

what is the price in the uk?

In the UK is about 12.5p per KWh (about 5 baht) In Thailand the metered rate is between 2 - 4 baht (raises as usage increases). But most condo's set their own rates at between 6 - 10 baht per KWh. 

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

In the UK is about 12.5p per KWh (about 5 baht) In Thailand the metered rate is between 2 - 4 baht (raises as usage increases). But most condo's set their own rates at between 6 - 10 baht per KWh. 

Plus 20% vat & the standing charge.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why has there been no investment in solar power?  Lots of panels all over Vietnam.  Friends are selling excess solar power back to the National Grid - IN UK!

Good point. With virtually round-the-year sunshine, solar is the obvious way to go here. Abundant, inexpensive electricity, reliable supplies, plus the creation of lots of jobs in manufacturing and fitting. The new government should make this sensible 'green' solution a priority.

EGAT don’t want solar panels creating a duck curve in their business models. Not only does solar rob them of electricity sales revenue, it means their power stations must ramp morning and night as the peak demand is shifted from the middle of the day to morning and evenings. The baseload stations were never designed to operate under this circumstance. Keeping the masses dumb, poor and dependent is the mantra and none more than in the power utility business and particularly so in Thailand.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why has there been no investment in solar power?  Lots of panels all over Vietnam.  Friends are selling excess solar power back to the National Grid - IN UK!

But quite how individual households, investing directly themselves in solar power, would provide a route for the rich rewards of energy conservation being fed back to the offshore accounts of the ruling elite and those they put in power I suspect is still unclear. Unless of course all solar energy suppliers in Thailand are nationalised ????

17 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

EGAT don’t want solar panels creating a duck curve in their business models.

When excessive load starts causing transformers to blow, they might start seeing a dip in their revenues.  In fact I believe their revenues have been steadily declining in recent years due to competition.  It only makes sense that they diversify into multiple energy sources.

Massive introduction of solar panels feed-in to old power distribution systems is, as Australia is discovering, a MAJOR TECHNICAL headache (quite apart from the usual conspiracy theories mentioned above). Requires massive new investment to prevent the whole system from crashing.

Would be interested to hear from anyone with knowledge of the current sources of power generation in Thailand. Presumably coal & hydro? in what proportions?

19 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Would be interested to hear from anyone with knowledge of the current sources of power generation in Thailand. Presumably coal & hydro? in what proportions?

Thailand has thousands of gas wells in the gulf, gas powers the majority of power stations, they have been using these as a major source for many years.

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

Well the 40+ temp in CM for the last 2-3 weeks will see a record in my consumption for sure after a very pleasant winter record low bill will be eclipsed by this months whopper ????

Same down here in Pattaya, my normal bill of between 1350 - 1550 Baht it's shot up to 1950 Baht,  :shock1: 

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Plus 20% vat & the standing charge.

Correct

I think Thailand VAT is 7% and a monthly standing charge of about 35 Baht 

With the exception of the high UK standing charge i do not think the cost is that much different especially for condo rentals which have jacked up electricity cost per KWh

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Solar panels are there to pay homage to lefty eco warriors, while perhaps keeping the odd village illuminated via LED energy saving lamps and deep discharge batteries. They don't provide the multiple gigawatts base load around the clock that industry needs to do its work, like smelting vats of steel or powering factories.

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Good point. With virtually round-the-year sunshine, solar is the obvious way to go here. Abundant, inexpensive electricity, reliable supplies, plus the creation of lots of jobs in manufacturing and fitting. The new government should make this sensible 'green' solution a priority.

The new government:s idea of a 'green' solution will be another buy of tanks!

7 hours ago, willi2006 said:

A local problem, inadequate transformers and power lines in some areas.
No voltage drop in other areas, like ours, even at peek times.

Yeah, certainly local, I was just indicating that it's unusual for us to have the voltage that low at that time in the morning. Could have been load shedding but who knows.

I have V/I records going back to February last year (2 readings a second) if I get a second or two I'll have a look at the same period last year, I'm sure it was nowhere near as warm.

Archived