PM Prayut pleased, Bangkok named most popular city for Japanese tourists

webfact

PM pleased, Bangkok named most popular city for Japanese tourists

db93e756bcb1981608a703db44bf7fb7_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 April 2019 (NNT) - Lt Gen Werachon Sukondhapatipak, the deputy spokesman of the Thai government, revealed that Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha was happy after hearing that Bangkok has been named the most popular destination for Japanese tourists during their Golden Week, a five-day long holiday which begins in late April.

The survey was conducted by Agoda, a renowned global online travel agency. Pattaya and Phuket were also ranked among the most popular cities, at the 4th and the 10th respectively.

“Japanese tourists are among the top 5 nationalities of foreign tourists visiting Thailand, particularly Bangkok where there are many beautiful attractions, delicious food, not-too-high cost of living, and friendly Thai people. The two countries’s cultures are also quite similar. They can go along quite well,” Lt Gen Werachon said.

Lt Gen Werachon added that the prime minister loves to follow the updates on the tourism industry. Thai tourists love to escape the summer heat in Thailand, and visit Japan to experience the Japanese spring, astounding places, authentic food and the Japanese people. The prime minister also invited the Thai people to be a good host, making the tourists feel welcome and helping keep them safe.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-22

I simply don't believe it. If top 5, they rank 5th. I couldn't tell you the last time I've actually noticed Japanese about and I'm on the MRT daily crossing thru Sukhumvhit.

Maybe for the *five day holiday* in essence, for five days a year. I'll grant you that.

Truthfully, I do not see that many vacationing Japanese families roaming around in Bangkok and sunny beaches is not their “thing” ( They come out to the hotel swimming pools after 5pm.) In Europe I see more Japanese families vacationing. In Thailand groups of Japanese men will arrive to go golfing for a week since it is so much cheaper here. 

2 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"The two countries’s cultures are also quite similar."

I've lived in Japan, live here now. I reckon least similar of all East Asian nations

How can you doubt him? He's is an expert in foreign cultures, educated in Thailand's elite schools, and probably holds a Bachelor of Body Lotion...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The survey was conducted by Agoda,

Having looked at a few other studies I can see that the Japanese account for between 4 - 5% of all tourism in Thailand and that this number has fallen over the last few years, so whether they come here on Golden Week (4-5 days a year) is not of much consequence econimically, I'd wager. Still, Supreme Leader and his merry band of knaves would much prefer to churn out something that helps frame them and their unelected government in a good light. Useless bunch of incompetents that they are.

he two countries’s cultures are also quite similar

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure about that either, Thais might like to associate themselves and their culture with Japan/the Japanese, but that doesn't mean it is so in reality . Japan has a very different, quite unique history and has been a developed nation for some time, unlike Thailand which clearly isn't there yet in any meaningful sense. The Jap work ethic, educational standards, level of intelligence, manners and code of conduct in general are streets ahead of Thais and Thailand I'm afraid to say. Having previously worked with Japanese business people for many years in Bangkok, I can tell you that many of the large number I came to know both enjoyed BKK and found Thais to be friendly, but also often found them to be a puzzling and at times backward lot - certainly not similar to them in any real regard.

Cheap golf, cheap beer, cheap and easy sex and a certain allure of the beautiful scenery, the smells, sights, sounds & other attractions that enthralled many of us at first, keep them coming back...for now.

The two countries’s cultures are also quite similar.

Now I'm really confused. Different food, different religions, different cleanness standards, and so on.

The prime minister also invited the Thai people to be a good host, making the tourists feel welcome and helping keep them safe.

Keep them safe? How about the government showing the way by insisting on regular inspections of bunjee jumps, rope slides, tour boats and ferries and the thousand and one other potential death traps which await unwary tourists.

They might also consider taking decisive action, rather than pathetic public hand-wringing, to reduce the number of foreigners killed and maimed on some of the world's most lethal roads.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

"The two countries’s cultures are also quite similar."

I've lived in Japan, live here now. I reckon least similar of all East Asian nations

The Japanese do everything perfect, the Thai cut all corners perfect....quite similar.

The Japanese do everything perfect, the Thai cut all corners perfect....quite similar.

-lol Maybe this “claim” is the opposite ...I have no stats on the number of Thais that choose to vacation in Japan verses other countries around the world but it seems there are large numbers of Thais that visit Japan since there are inexpensive tour packages and only it’s only a six hour flight. The Thais I know, ( that can afford it), all have been to Japan. They love the cleanliness and organization of the place ( they’re not into the history but do like the gardens and parks). Totally the opposite of Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, madmen said:

The survey was conducted by Agoda, a renowned global online travel agency:

credibility. God I love this city!

Hotel bookings must be down, so a bit of bullshit to solve the problem, Agoda, not your most reliable source of honest studies. next week they will be saying new york the most popular city for japanese, oh well as long as PM Cha Cha gets his rocks off on an Agoda award.

2 hours ago, SymS said:

Now I'm really confused. Different food, different religions, different cleanness standards, and so on.

Both have a majority population that practices Buddhism but the Japanese also practice Shinto that was introduced into Japan before Buddhism.

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

How can you doubt him? He's is an expert in foreign cultures, educated in Thailand's elite schools, and probably holds a Bachelor of Body Lotion...

PLUS a Bachelor of Parachutes! ????

6 hours ago, toenail said:

Truthfully, I do not see that many vacationing Japanese families roaming around in Bangkok

I suspect Japanese gentlemen not bringing family with them to Thailand.  (*wink*)

There are entertainment venues catering to male Japanese tourists.  There was a "no hands" restaurant on Suk near Soi 4, dunno if it's still there; a pretty lady fed you your dinner, like a baby.  Real expensive, popular with the Japanese men, for a while at least.

And of course you can find the visitors in Japanese restaurants, shabu and suki places, etc.

I don't know if these are still done, but there used to be sex junkets out of Japan that would cover various SEA "hot" spots like HK, VN, LOS etc.

Archived