U.S. to announce end to sanctions waivers for Iran oil imports: Washington Post

webfact

U.S. to announce end to sanctions waivers for Iran oil imports: Washington Post

2019-04-21T234729Z_2_LYNXNPEF3K0SY_RTROPTP_4_OIL-IRAN-SANCTIONS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Gas flares from an oil production platform at the Soroush oil fields in the Persian Gulf, south of the capital Tehran, July 25, 2005. REUTERS/Raheb Homavandi/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is preparing to announce on Monday that all importers of Iranian oil will have to end their imports shortly or be subject to U.S. sanctions, a Washington Post columnist reported on Sunday.

The U.S. reimposed sanctions in November on exports of Iranian oil after President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled out of a 2015 nuclear accord between Iran and six world powers. Washington is pressuring Iran to curtail its nuclear program and stop backing militant proxies across the Middle East.

Along with sanctions, Washington has also granted waivers to eight economies that had reduced their purchases of Iranian oil, allowing them to continue buying it without incurring sanctions for six more months. They were China, India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Italy and Greece.

But on Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will announce "that, as of May 2, the State Department will no longer grant sanctions waivers to any country that is currently importing Iranian crude or condensate," the Post's columnist Josh Rogin said, citing two State Department officials that he did not name.

Reuters was unable to independently verify the report. A State Department spokesman declined comment.

On Wednesday, Frank Fannon, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Energy Resources, repeated the administration's position that “Our goal is to get to zero Iranian exports as quickly as possible.”

Other countries have been watching to see whether the United States would continue the waivers. Last Tuesday, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said that Turkey expects the United States to extend a waiver granted to Ankara to continue oil purchases from Iran without violating U.S. sanctions.

Turkey did not support U.S. sanctions policy on Iran and did not think it would yield the desired result, Kalin told reporters in Washington.

Washington has a campaign of 'maximum economic pressure’ on Iran and through sanctions, it eventually aims to halt Iranian oil exports and thereby choke Tehran’s main source of revenue.

So far in April, Iranian exports were averaging below 1 million barrels per day (bpd), according to Refinitiv Eikon data and two other companies that track such exports and declined to be identified.

That is lower than at least 1.1 million bpd as estimated for March, and down from more than 2.5 million bpd before sanctions were reimposed last May.

In futures trading overnight, Brent crude, the international oil benchmark, was up 0.6 percent at $72.41 a barrel, highest since November of last year.

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell; Editing by Susan Thomas and Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-22

The US certainly doesnt seem to care about its international image/reputation like it did a while back......guess its all gone down the road along with democracy, freedom and justice (the real ones I mean, not the ones that just get shouted out numerous times daily).

Case you noticed Mr. Trump doesn't concern himself with Popularity in his Country or others.its all about business.  As far as other countries, his agenda is how and what will  benefit American's.Has America changed how much your country pays it's fair share, or was your country one of the one's that were part of the waiver?USA doesn't take to kindly to Iran ,especially when it considers them a threat

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Case you noticed Mr. Trump doesn't concern himself with Popularity in his Country or others.  As far as other countries, his agenda is how and what will  benefit American's.Has America changed how much your country pays it's fair share, or was your country one of the one's that were part of the waiver?USA doesn't take to kindly to Iran's ,especially when it considers them a threat

I believe that his agenda is how and what will benefit the Trump family. Anything else is inconsequential Including any impact that agenda may have on the the well being and status of the USA in the long term..

I would imagine if his family had business in other countries before and after his term in office they would stand to profit from that! Seeing many politicians have done this in the past to some extent. I have no problem with the Trumps building on it.I'm sure it also benefits America to some degree

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

Case you noticed Mr. Trump doesn't concern himself with Popularity in his Country or others.its all about business.  As far as other countries, his agenda is how and what will  benefit American's.Has America changed how much your country pays it's fair share, or was your country one of the one's that were part of the waiver?USA doesn't take to kindly to Iran ,especially when it considers them a threat

Actually it benefits Saudi Arabia as oil price go up.

Surprising? 

17 hours ago, toenail said:

Trump has alienated the USA from its allies and “neutral countries”. Total lack of respect & trust with the USA government- no country gives a damn about supporting “Dictator Trump”.

Really? Who would they be? Could you please name the allied countries that no longer support the U.S... Don't care about the "neutral countries". That's like saying your an Independent. Not willing to take a stand.

13 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Really? Who would they be? Could you please name the allied countries that no longer support the U.S... Don't care about the "neutral countries". That's like saying your an Independent. Not willing to take a stand.

Europe sets up scheme to get round US sanctions on Iran

France, Germany and Britain have set up a financial mechanism designed to avoid US sanctions against Iran and keep the 2015 nuclear deal afloat.Through the Instex trade vehicle, they hope to assert European economic sovereignty in the face of Washington’s determination to impose its foreign policy on Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/31/europe-sets-up-scheme-to-get-round-us-sanctions-on-iran

12 hours ago, riclag said:

I would imagine if his family had business in other countries before and after his term in office they would stand to profit from that! Seeing many politicians have done this in the past to some extent. I have no problem with the Trumps building on it.I'm sure it also benefits America to some degree

Good to know that you have no problem with what's commonly known as "conflicts of interest."

On 4/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, webfact said:

Along with sanctions, Washington has also granted waivers to eight economies that had reduced their purchases of Iranian oil, allowing them to continue buying it without incurring sanctions for six more months. They were China, India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Italy and Greece.

I think South Korea and Japan have already begun to reduce their Iranian oil imports and will continue to do so. So the sanctions will not effect them very much. As for the rest, China, India, Turkey, Italy, Greece?  I don't care. They've chosen sides. Let them play for their team, now.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Europe sets up scheme to get round US sanctions on Iran

France, Germany and Britain have set up a financial mechanism designed to avoid US sanctions against Iran and keep the 2015 nuclear deal afloat.Through the Instex trade vehicle, they hope to assert European economic sovereignty in the face of Washington’s determination to impose its foreign policy on Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/31/europe-sets-up-scheme-to-get-round-us-sanctions-on-iran

I think this is perfect. Right around the time of Brexit. Good luck getting a trade agreement with Trump if they persist on this.

8 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I think this is perfect. Right around the time of Brexit. Good luck getting a trade agreement with Trump if they persist on this.

NIce deflection Who was it who wrote this in demanding the names of countries that don't support the US?

"Really? Who would they be? Could you please name the allied countries that no longer support the U.S... Don't care about the "neutral countries". That's like saying your an Independent. Not willing to take a stand."

Oh, wait a minute, that was you.

And you think that only Europe will get hurt with no trade agreement. Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum are already hurting American businesses and consumers.

Economic terrorism in it's cruelest form. Cripple other countries if the do not follow your diktat. Physical terrorism is appalling, but economic terrorism claims its victims without flaming headlines in MSM. 

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

NIce deflection Who was it who wrote this in demanding the names of countries that don't support the US?

"Really? Who would they be? Could you please name the allied countries that no longer support the U.S... Don't care about the "neutral countries". That's like saying your an Independent. Not willing to take a stand."

And you think that only Europe will get hurt with no trade agreement. Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum are already hurting American businesses and consumers.

Trump has alienated the USA from its allies and “neutral countries”. Total lack of respect & trust with the USA government- no country gives a damn about supporting “Dictator Trump”.

Pretty much sounded to me like certain countries were willing to cut ties to the U.S.  Them planning a run-around will only come back to haunt them. It is to their peril to alienate themselves from the U.S.  Me? I couldn't be happier. 

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about. But, just in case you do. How many others on this list will be forced to cut ties with the United Kingdom to avoid sanctions from the United States.

Below is a list showcasing 15 of United Kingdom’s top trading partners in terms of export sales. That is, these are countries that imported the most UK shipments by dollar value during 2018. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total UK exports.

1. United States: US$64.4 billion (13.3% of total UK exports)
  2. Germany: $47 billion (9.7%)
  3. Netherlands: $33.3 billion (6.9%)
  4. France: $31.8 billion (6.6%)
  5. Ireland: $28.3 billion (5.9%)
  6. China: $27.5 billion (5.7%)
  7. Switzerland: $25.4 billion (5.2%)
  8. Belgium: $19.1 billion (4%)
  9. Italy: $14.1 billion (2.9%)
  10. Spain: $13.9 billion (2.9%)
  11. Hong Kong: $10.3 billion (2.1%)
  12. United Arab Emirates: $10 billion (2.1%)
  13. Turkey: $9.5 billion (2%)
  14. Japan: $8.3 billion (1.7%)
  15. South Korea: $7.8 billion (1.6%)

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Good to know that you have no problem with what's commonly known as "conflicts of interest."

your article on on europe sets up scheme has nothing to do with this topic ! The topic is oil ,your deflection article is humanitarian,drugs, food stuff ! 

I have no idea what your referring to about conflict of interest. If it was in response to a post that everything  Trump does in the world is done to benefit him maybe true,there is no law against that for a POTUS , POTUS isn't subject to CI laws.  

4 hours ago, riclag said:

POTUS isn't subject to CI laws

Maybe! But he, and by connection with his post as POTUS, is subject to world opinion and their negative reactions to his/US self centered actions.

His many negative actions to the rest of the world will come back to bite him and the US.

The US is only one, now becoming very marginalised country, against the rest of the world.  How Putin and the rest are raking it in from the damage he is doing to international relations. 

your article on on europe sets up scheme has nothing to do with this topic ! The topic is oil ,your deflection article is humanitarian,drugs, food stuff ! 

I have no idea what your referring to about conflict of interest. If it was in response to a post that everything  Trump does in the world is done to benefit him maybe true,there is no law against that for a POTUS , POTUS isn't subject to CI laws.  

Because something is legal, that doesn't make it ethical. Or do you think it takes a law to make some practice unethical?

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Because something is legal, that doesn't make it ethical. Or do you think it takes a law to make some practice unethical?

I stand by my comment you people from other countries have a different "ethical" approach in your government. The office of the POTUS and Vice President  aren't  subjected to CI laws! 

7 hours ago, Longcut said:

Pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about. But, just in case you do. How many others on this list will be forced to cut ties with the United Kingdom to avoid sanctions from the United States.

Below is a list showcasing 15 of United Kingdom’s top trading partners in terms of export sales. That is, these are countries that imported the most UK shipments by dollar value during 2018. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total UK exports.

1. United States: US$64.4 billion (13.3% of total UK exports)
  2. Germany: $47 billion (9.7%)
  3. Netherlands: $33.3 billion (6.9%)
  4. France: $31.8 billion (6.6%)
  5. Ireland: $28.3 billion (5.9%)
  6. China: $27.5 billion (5.7%)
  7. Switzerland: $25.4 billion (5.2%)
  8. Belgium: $19.1 billion (4%)
  9. Italy: $14.1 billion (2.9%)
  10. Spain: $13.9 billion (2.9%)
  11. Hong Kong: $10.3 billion (2.1%)
  12. United Arab Emirates: $10 billion (2.1%)
  13. Turkey: $9.5 billion (2%)
  14. Japan: $8.3 billion (1.7%)
  15. South Korea: $7.8 billion (1.6%)

Your list does not include commonwealth countries, which might prefer to side with the UK over the US... and whilst these may not be big financially , you should factor in strategic locations, as this might be more important come judgement day

22 minutes ago, riclag said:

I stand by my comment you people from other countries have a different "ethical" approach in your government. The office of the POTUS isn't subjected to CI laws! 

And therein lies the difference between fully democratic countries and the flawed democracy which is the USA

20 minutes ago, farcanell said:

And therein lies the difference between fully democratic countries and the flawed democracy which is the USA

True we have been struggling for almost 250 years,it's not perfect!Kinda sad to compare the USA to other countries,seeing every has their own identity and so many other variables! 

America voted for change in 2016,change from the previous 50 years of wars ,economics and politics. Kinda like what other countries are trying to do 

True we have been struggling for almost 250 years,it's not perfect!Kinda sad to compare the USA to other countries,seeing every has their own identity and so many other variables! 

America voted for change in 2016,change from the previous 50 years of wars ,economics and politics. Kinda like what other countries are trying to do 

I’m not sure that this stroke of international political brinksmanship is going to achieve that goal

American sanctions on Japan caused it to attack.... but lightening couldn’t strike twice, right

Archived