UK PM Theresa May to be told to quit by top Conservative: Sunday Times

webfact

UK PM Theresa May to be told to quit by top Conservative: Sunday Times

2019-04-21T040408Z_1_LYNXNPEF3K03E_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-MAY.JPG

British Prime Minister Theresa May holds a news conference following an extraordinary European Union leaders summit to discuss Brexit, in Brussels, Belgium April 11, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - A top member of Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative Party will tell her in the coming week that she must step down by the end of June or her lawmakers will try again to depose her, the Sunday Times reported, without citing sources.

May survived a vote of no confidence in December and although party rules mean lawmakers cannot challenge her again until a year has passed, lawmaker Graham Brady will tell her the rules will be changed unless she quits, the newspaper said.

Brady, who chairs the Conservative Party's influential 1922 Committee of backbench lawmakers, will tell her that 70 percent of her members of parliament want her to resign over her handling of Brexit, the Sunday Times said.

Britain was originally due to leave the European Union on March 29, but that deadline was pushed back to April 12 and then again to Oct. 31 as May failed to break an impasse in parliament on the terms of Brexit.

(Reporting by Andy Bruce; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-22

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May has messed this up at every conceivable opportunity, working for short term gains, while ignoring the long term consequences

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/theresa-mays-tactical-guile-is-rivalled-only-by-her-strategic-incompetence

In an interview last February she made a highly revealing comment, saying with her trademark irascibility: “Why is it that people are always trying to look for the next thing after the next thing after the next thing? It is pointless, we should focus on what we are doing now …”

This fundamental character flaw has got her, and Brexit, and Britain, into the real trouble it is in today, always positioning for immediate advantage, and day-to-day survival, she has created long-term traps in place of long-term strategy

She should do as Cameron did and resign. It's an impossible situation, trying to save a country from itself, when it's hell bent on committing suicide. Let a real Brexiteer take the UK the rest of the way to ruin.

lawmaker Graham Brady will tell her the rules will be changed unless she quits

So the same people who deny the electorate a vote because some imaginary rule says they can only vote once now want to change rules to get rid of their PM because they didn’t get it right in the first vote? Where are the Brexiteers crying foul?

But good to see the Tories further dismantling themselves. Can’t wait to see Jacob and his bully boys hiding again should the PM job become available. It will be one of the fools and fools like Davis or Raab taking on the job, making bold statements before going to Brussels just to come back empty handed like Theresa. At the end of the day, no PM wants to be responsible for a no-deal Brexit so whoever takes on the job will always be in the very same situation as Theresa May is in. The smarter Brexiteers of course know that. 

I agree that she is and always has been a loathsome creature who harbours strong anti immigrant attitudes. The trouble is who else in the Tory party should succeed her? That fatuous idiot BJ, that pompous ass Rees Mogg, the woman of little brain called Leadsom? There is not a single member of that party who is not a prize twit. And those who voted for them only have themselves to blame. Britain is a shabby little island that is busy sailing off into total oblivion. Good riddance.

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So the same people who deny the electorate a vote because some imaginary rule says they can only vote once now want to change rules to get rid of their PM because they didn’t get it right in the first vote? Where are the Brexiteers crying foul?

But good to see the Tories further dismantling themselves. Can’t wait to see Jacob and his bully boys hiding again should the PM job become available. It will be one of the fools and fools like Davis or Raab taking on the job, making bold statements before going to Brussels just to come back empty handed like Theresa. At the end of the day, no PM wants to be responsible for a no-deal Brexit so whoever takes on the job will always be in the very same situation as Theresa May is in. The smarter Brexiteers of course know that. 

There is a current large contingent of Tory MP's and party members who have no respect for the British constitution, parliamentary process and rules and even their own party rules. They are quite prepared and happy to make it up as they go along.

And they all support Brexit.

6 minutes ago, brommers said:

I agree that she is and always has been a loathsome creature who harbours strong anti immigrant attitudes. The trouble is who else in the Tory party should succeed her? That fatuous idiot BJ, that pompous ass Rees Mogg, the woman of little brain called Leadsom? There is not a single member of that party who is not a prize twit. And those who voted for them only have themselves to blame. Britain is a shabby little island that is busy sailing off into total oblivion. Good riddance.

BJ and R-Mogg might be right wing extremists but they aren't daft. They know the PM job has become a poison chalice with no hope of coming out good. They'll head for the hills.

The type of dum egocentric idiot who'd try and grab the job is Gove, Davis, Raab, Leassom and possible even Grayling. Either too thick to see the crap heap they'd be dropped in or too concerned with their own ego and opportunity to "rule"!

Sadly, what a choice. One of these morons or a GE and possibility of loony left commie Corbyn.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

There is a current large contingent of Tory MP's and party members who have no respect for the British constitution, parliamentary process and rules and even their own party rules. They are quite prepared and happy to make it up as they go along.

And they all support Brexit.

Somehow I doubt the tiny number of MPs that genuinely support brexit have any control in the matter at all.

If there was a "large contingent" - they would have not only rejected the eu/may 'deal', but also voted for no deal as a result of the eu/may 'deal'!

What's the alternative?

Obviously May is bad. But thinking about Boris and all the other failures with a big mouth maybe she is the least incompetent choice.

May should go on a life press conference and tell the people something like this:

We lied to you. We told you about choices which don't exist. We pretended that we can have a Brexit only with advantages. But that is not true. We did a miserable job.

This is why I will dissolve parliament today and why I will resign and will never work in politics again.

I recommend you should not again vote for the same lying politicians who tell you about cake and cherries and unicorns which don't exist.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

BJ and R-Mogg might be right wing extremists but they aren't daft. They know the PM job has become a poison chalice with no hope of coming out good. They'll head for the hills.

The type of dum egocentric idiot who'd try and grab the job is Gove, Davis, Raab, Leassom and possible even Grayling. Either too thick to see the crap heap they'd be dropped in or too concerned with their own ego and opportunity to "rule"!

Sadly, what a choice. One of these morons or a GE and possibility of loony left commie Corbyn.

None of them are ''dumb egocentric" as you state.

But I do agree that its a "poison chalice".

The leave voters won't forgive a remain deal, and the remain voters (and more importantly big business.....) won't forgive a leave deal.

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

None of them are ''dumb egocentric" as you state.

But I do agree that its a "poison chalice".

The leave voters won't forgive a remain deal, and the remain voters (and more importantly big business.....) won't forgive a leave deal.

The problem is there are a goodly number of leave supporters who won't be satisfied with anything less than the purest leave I.E. no deal

But no deal is a stupid idea, very bad politically and economically 

Any party or leader that takes us down that track will suffer a backlash when the consequences hit. Remember that not every leave voter voted for no deal, so those + the remainder half of the electorate will be justifiably upset if the economy tanks afterwards.

No deal is electoral suicide. 

23 minutes ago, tebee said:

The problem is there are a goodly number of leave supporters who won't be satisfied with anything less than the purest leave I.E. no deal

But no deal is a stupid idea, very bad politically and economically 

Any party or leader that takes us down that track will suffer a backlash when the consequences hit. Remember that not every leave voter voted for no deal, so those + the remainder half of the electorate will be justifiably upset if the economy tanks afterwards.

No deal is electoral suicide. 

I think one of the big problems is that the lots of Brexit supporting politicians don't want to be seen as changing their mind.

They told the people so many lies of how wonderful Brexit will be, all the advantages, no disadvantages at all.

So somehow they have to pretend that even a no deal exit would still be better than being part of the EU.

By now all of them should realize that no deal would be a major problem. But to admit that to the masses who they told for years how bad the EU is - that would be a real challenge.

I see the remainers are 'bricking it' in case a brexiter gets in number 10. It seems like those remainers who said Nigel Farage's Brexit party is a non starter are showing either they do not know what they are talking about or do not understand, just how many people feel. I suspect both.

I wonder how many are going to own up then.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see the remainers are 'bricking it' in case a brexiter gets in number 10. It seems like those remainers who said Nigel Farage's Brexit party is a non starter are showing either they do not know what they are talking about or do not understand, just how many people feel. I suspect both.

I wonder how many are going to own up then.

Far from bricking it I am loving it, watching the Tory party destroy itself is the best thing to come out of the Brexit cluster f#£k.Farage's party will implode as most of its candidates will be shown to be swivelled eyed loons and racist's (copyright D Cameron).Another plus is the possible end of the two main party parliament  and a move to a multi party consensus government.Brexit is looking good so far, oh and a united Ireland would be the cherry on my Brexit ????.

Just now, adammike said:

Far from bricking it I am loving it, watching the Tory party destroy itself is the best thing to come out of the Brexit cluster f#£k.Farage's party will implode as most of its candidates will be shown to be swivelled eyed loons and racist's (copyright D Cameron).Another plus is the possible end of the two main party parliament  and a move to a multi party consensus government.Brexit is looking good so far, oh and a united Ireland would be the cherry on my Brexit ????.

That is fine. I don't remember you posting commenting on Nigel Farage or about a Brexiter PM., maybe you have another name that I don't recognise, Not that anyone would here.????

I agree that it is not just the conservatives but Labour that will suffer. to think that Nigel Farage's party will implode, suggest to me you do not have a an understanding of those people who voted in the referendum and what it was about and means to them. This issue is the most important issue since the UK started voting.

As for a united Ireland I think you have more chance of a united biscuit IMHO. The unionist would not allow it. Check out the stats who created more destruction and killings in the NI conflict. The Catholics were way down the league table.

The only solution is to let the sole stable genius that remains in the world, Donnie Trumpy run the UK as well :There is no one in Britain that matches his IQ and big hands-on approach:He grabs problems firmly wherever they have to be grabbed and takes them quickly to wherever they have to be taken. 

The new British Prime Minister :Donald J Trump 

8 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

The only solution is to let the sole stable genius that remains in the world, Donnie Trumpy run the UK as well :There is no one in Britain that matches his IQ and big hands-on approach:He grabs problems firmly wherever they have to be grabbed and takes them quickly to wherever they have to be taken. 

The new British Prime Minister :Donald J Trump 

So you are not British either.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

She should do as Cameron did and resign. It's an impossible situation, trying to save a country from itself, when it's hell bent on committing suicide. Let a real Brexiteer take the UK the rest of the way to ruin.

I was looking for IMHO in your post, but failed to see it. It's astonishing how many people think that they're right and the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit are wrong. If the Tories had just acted on the wishes of that majority and left, we wouldn't be where we are today. Deals could've been negotiated after leaving. We're where we are because of remainer meddling and deep down everyone in the country must realise that. By the way, TM is the remainer in chief.

7 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I was looking for IMHO in your post, but failed to see it. It's astonishing how many people think that they're right and the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit are wrong. If the Tories had just acted on the wishes of that majority and left, we wouldn't be where we are today. Deals could've been negotiated after leaving. We're where we are because of remainer meddling and deep down everyone in the country must realise that. By the way, TM is the remainer in chief.

Still blaming remainers for the mess brexiteers caused I see.

That is imho. Where is your imho in your post? Strange since you asked someone else to state that, even though the post was very clear an opinion.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Rubbish.

9 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Here we go, another one who wants to have reruns of general elections when, in his opinion, the correct result doesn't happen. How about replayed cup finals, F1 grand Prix, talent shows etc? A democratic vote has to be the final vote, because if not, it can just go on and on ad infinitum. Do you honestly think that if there was a rerun and the result was reversed that the leave voters would settle for that? There'd have to be a third vote and so on. The right thing for you remainers to do now is to accept you've been democratically defeated and get behind the majority who voted to leave.

52 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I agree that it is not just the conservatives but Labour that will suffer. To think that Nigel Farage's party will implode, suggest to me you do not have a an understanding of those people who voted in the referendum and what it was about and means to them. This issue is the most important issue since the UK started voting.

As for a united Ireland I think you have more chance of a united biscuit IMHO. The unionist would not allow it. Check out the stats who created more destruction and killings in the NI conflict. The Catholics were way down the league table.

With the British system "the winner takes it all" the voters do not have much chance to bring a complete new party and with that political ideas in charge. A voter must have real guts, and not be afraid his/her vote vanishes into nothing by NOT to vote on the mayor parties in the own constituency. See: 7,53 seats per vote % for the Cons, SNP even 11,66 seats per vote%, but LibDem 1,62 seats per vote%, while UKIP... got none, despite 1,8% of the "brave' voters. see https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2017/resultsI believe, the British call that "democracy" ? ?

party Cons Labour SNP LibDem DUP SF PC Green UKIP SD
seats 318 262 35 12 10 7 4 1 0 0
votes% 42,2 40 3 7,4 0,9 0,7 0,5 1,6 1,8 0,3
seats/%vo5te+ 7,535545 6,55 11,66667 1,621622 11,11111 10 8 0,625 0 0

In Scotland the regional SNP will continue to be the biggest in many constituencies.

For Northern Ireland: DUP = gets 1,3  seats per % of the voters, while TUV gets 0,29 seats per % of the voters.

party     DUP     Sinn       Fein      SDLR       UUP   Alliance      green       TUV       PbP
seats 38 29 12 16 8 2 1 2
votes 29,2 24 12 12,6 7,7 2,7 3,4 2
seat/vote 1,30 1,21 1,00 1,27 1,04 0,74 0,29

A united Ireland… yes, I am afraid, the Unionists immediately will forget what democracy is, and start a "troubles" which is much worse as ever before, thanks to… the majorities in some English constituencies, Please... tell the world, where you want the border between UK and EU.

Therefore… to reduce problems here, let's throw the UK out of the EU. We missed already two chances.

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

With the British system "the winner takes it all" the voters do not have much chance to bring a complete new party and with that political ideas in charge. A voter must have real guts, and not be afraid his/her vote vanishes into nothing by NOT to vote on the mayor parties in the own constituency. See: 7,53 seats per vote % for the Cons, SNP even 11,66 seats per vote%, but LibDem 1,62 seats per vote%, while UKIP... got none, despite 1,8% of the "brave' voters. see https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2017/resultsI believe, the British call that "democracy" ? ?

party Cons Labour SNP LibDem DUP SF PC Green UKIP SD
seats 318 262 35 12 10 7 4 1 0 0
votes% 42,2 40 3 7,4 0,9 0,7 0,5 1,6 1,8 0,3
seats/%vo5te+ 7,535545 6,55 11,66667 1,621622 11,11111 10 8 0,625 0 0

In Scotland the regional SNP will continue to be the biggest in many constituencies.

For Northern Ireland: DUP = gets 1,3  seats per % of the voters, while TUV gets 0,29 seats per % of the voters.

party     DUP     Sinn       Fein      SDLR       UUP   Alliance      green       TUV       PbP
seats 38 29 12 16 8 2 1 2
votes 29,2 24 12 12,6 7,7 2,7 3,4 2
seat/vote 1,30 1,21 1,00 1,27 1,04 0,74 0,29

A united Ireland… yes, I am afraid, the Unionists immediately will forget what democracy is, and start a "troubles" which is much worse as ever before, thanks to… the majorities in some English constituencies, Please... tell the world, where you want the border between UK and EU.

Therefore… to reduce problems here, let's throw the UK out of the EU. We missed already two chances.

Yes that's the system and has worked for 400 plus years. Maybe it needs an overhaul but that's what was present when people voted. you can't change the rules as you go along, unless you are the EU. its a democracy different from what yours is. We want to go. Let us. Don't ask for our money and let us leave. Sadly the 5 un-elected presidents won't allow it.

35 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I was looking for IMHO in your post, but failed to see it. It's astonishing how many people think that they're right and the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit are wrong. If the Tories had just acted on the wishes of that majority and left, we wouldn't be where we are today. Deals could've been negotiated after leaving. We're where we are because of remainer meddling and deep down everyone in the country must r17,4 mln voted for a way of Brexit, but how many for "ealise that. By the way, TM is the remainer in chief.

17,4 mln = 51,88 % of the voters, being a lansdslide, overwhelming, never deamt of victory, voted for a form of Brexit. How many for …"whatever the consequences "?  May I remind you to the referendum of 5 June 1975 in favour FOR the then EEC, developped to the EU, with the British (prime) ministers also in : 

Results
  Votes %
14px-Yes_check.svg.png Yes 17,378,581 67.23%
14px-X_mark.svg.png No 8,470,073 32.77%
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79%
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.21%
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00%
Registered voters/turnout 40,086,677 64.62%

Second: British democracy = the majority only, and what 48,11% of the voters want.. the hack ? ? 

The task of a democratic government: to fulfill as much as reasonally possible for the majority, but never loose the demands of - such a gigantic share - minority.

Even Orban in Hungary or the  Law and Justice government of Poland take better care for their minorities.  Maybe Erdogan's AKP in Turkey...with  52.59 %  of the votes

polls Brexit.jpg

polls Brexit till Feb 2019.jpg

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

17,4 mln = 51,88 % of the voters, being a lansdslide, overwhelming, never deamt of victory, voted for a form of Brexit. How many for …"whatever the consequences "?  May I remind you to the referendum of 5 June 1975 in favour FOR the then EEC, developped to the EU, with the British (prime) ministers also in : 

Results
  Votes %
14px-Yes_check.svg.png Yes 17,378,581 67.23%
14px-X_mark.svg.png No 8,470,073 32.77%
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79%
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.21%
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00%
Registered voters/turnout 40,086,677 64.62%

Second: British democracy = the majority only, and what 48,11% of the voters want.. the hack ? ? 

The task of a democratic government: to fulfill as much as reasonally possible for the majority, but never loose the demands of - such a gigantic share - minority.

Even Orban in Hungary or the  Law and Justice government of Poland take better care for their minorities.  Maybe Erdogan's AKP in Turkey...with  52.59 %  of the votes

polls Brexit.jpg

polls Brexit till Feb 2019.jpg

We get it. your a europhile or even European. The system in place is not what your presenting, isn't in place and wasn't in place at the referendum so what your point. We wish you luck with Hungary and Turkey they will contribute a lot, I am sure.

Archived