Cambodian, Thai railroads to be connected today

geovalin

The railroad networks in Cambodia and Thailand will be officially connected today in a ceremony presided over by the countries’ prime ministers. The Stung Bot-Ban Nong Ing Friedship Bridge will be inaugurated during the ceremony, which will also see the handing over of a diesel-powered train to Cambodia. The diesel multiple unit (DMU) is a donation from Thailand. A DMU is a multiple-unit train powered by on-board diesel engines, which requires no separate locomotive.

. .

The DMU has been manufactured by Japan’s Hitachi and comprises four carriages, each able to carry 80 passengers. Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Thai counterpart Prayut Chan-o-cha will inaugurate the bridge and mark the connection of the countries’ railways by riding a train from Thailand to Poipet city in Cambodia, according to the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation.

Sun Chanthol, the Minister of Public Works and Transportation, and his Thai counterpart are expected to sign an agreement on cross-border transportation by train in upcoming days.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50596619/cambodian-thai-railroads-to-be-connected-today/

56 minutes ago, Redline said:

I feel like we are in the 1800s

You lucky guy, no stupid potato chips commercials with a$$ shaking fags on TV, no harassing calls from AIS at 3 AM in the morning begging you to buy some shitake you never wanted anyway, no thought police, and no poisoned food on the markets. What a wonderful world...

6 hours ago, geovalin said:

Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Thai counterpart Prayut Chan-o-cha will inaugurate the bridge and mark the connection of the countries’ railways by riding a train from Thailand to Poipet city in Cambodia,

If only Aung San Suu Kyi was there, all the delusional minds of southeast Asis would be in the same place.

Another big question is, will Thailand upgrade the train hat runs from Bangkok to the border? Currently a ghastly 3rd class only carriage with no a/c.

"Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Thai counterpart Prayut Chan-o-cha will inaugurate the bridge and mark the connection of the countries’ railways by riding a train from Thailand to Poipet city in Cambodia,"

I assume  special train will be commissioned for that purpose as no way would either of them be ble to spend 5 minutes in what currently plies that route.

5 minutes ago, my friend I said:

both are 1 metre

Your'e right, my my. Maybe that is why they only have 612 km of railway according to Wiki. It goes nowhere to nowhere outside its borders so joining up with Thailand will still equate to the same.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, Sheryl said:

Another big question is, will Thailand upgrade the train hat runs from Bangkok to the border? Currently a ghastly 3rd class only carriage with no a/c.

"Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Thai counterpart Prayut Chan-o-cha will inaugurate the bridge and mark the connection of the countries’ railways by riding a train from Thailand to Poipet city in Cambodia,"

I assume  special train will be commissioned for that purpose as no way would either of them be ble to spend 5 minutes in what currently plies that route.

I like the 3rd class ordinary train and so do most of the locals. Open the window and feel the breeze. Plus easy to carry a bike.

I took that new fancy train from Bangkok to Had Yai. Couldn't sleep coz of the cold ac. Some of the others were hugging pillows to stay warm. They only give out one thin blanket.

Just now, my friend I said:

Travellers can go from Sihanoukville to JB Sentral/Singapore now by train.

The Kunming/Lao/ Thailand section is progressing rapidly.

Just need a Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City section to be built so people can do a big circle.

But not the same train.

4 hours ago, my friend I said:

I like the 3rd class ordinary train and so do most of the locals. Open the window and feel the breeze.

In the day time in this 40C heat??!

????

Sleeping doesn't enter into it, it is a daytime only train. And really, really old carriages with very uncomfortable seats.

Does anyone know:

1. When this route is actually going to open for passengers?

2. When coming back from Cambodia to Thailand, are they going to:

a) make the entire train wait for 3 hours so that foreigners can clear immigration upstairs at Aran?

b) leave early, effectively making the service available to Thais only?

c) provide an expedited immigration service for all train passengers?

Would love to know more information about how this service will actually work in practice.

5 minutes ago, Monomial said:

2. When coming back from Cambodia to Thailand, are they going to:

a) make the entire train wait for 3 hours so that foreigners can clear immigration upstairs at Aran?

b) leave early, effectively making the service available to Thais only?

c) provide an expedited immigration service for all train passengers?

Not to mention that border crossing is notorious for denying entry to anyone they don't feel like admitting in. Train would be useless for foreigners unless and until this is fixed.

Archived