BANGKOK 20 May 2019 11:46
webfact

American tourist praised after helping to free person trapped in car in Chiang Mai

Good man, many would have driven by just looking out the window.

• Like 1

See, good farangs are welcome in Thailand!  (bad ones get out)

• Haha 2

+1 for the farangs vs some of the hobos that wash up in the news reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

See, good farangs are welcome in Thailand! 

The police in Pai haven't given him their famous welcome yet. 

• Haha 1

Twice I have witnessed  road accidents and been the one to respond while many other watched. One died and one lived. Something in the culture that keeps kind people from responding in an emergency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Well done that man. it was only today I hauled a fallen motor cyclist to some safety with a gaping to the bone foot injury outside a pharmacy as everyone looked on had to get my Mrs to buy a dressing as he was left on the road as cars and huge bus  manoeuvred around his head lucky someone cared enough to call an ambulance as I kept his heavily bleeding foot elevated and carried him off the scorching tarmac 🤔  

this isn't about you.  don't hijack this thread with some story of you being great and best best and the best of the best....blah blah

it was only today I saved 14 kittens from a mouth of a croc and then hunted wild buffalo to feed a family of 32 and then rescue 8 cats from a burning building while giving cpr to 23 people who almost drowned.  but it was after lunch when i really helped.......

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

However, self preservation is the order of the day, and we were also instructed never to put ourselves in a situation that could be dangerous or be a threat to our own wellbeing.

Well done to the young man who stopped to help, he is a good, decent  Human Being. 

Always think before going in to help would be my serious advice to anybody in this kind of situation.

I can relate, I was an EMT on an ambulance for 12 years and our 1st instinct is to stop and help.

Back in the 90's (on one of my trips to Bali) I was driving around in Denpasar with an Indonesian friend of mine and we came around a corner (heavy traffic) and there was an old woman laying face down in the middle of the street.  She looked dead but I couldn't tell for sure.  Nobody stopped to help her so I immediately pulled over and my Indonesian friend had a panic attack and started yelling NO, NO! DON"T STOP!

What?  Why?  She needs help I said.  He said that I would be blamed for her death or injuries and that I would have "BIG problems with the police" and that there would be no witnesses to help me (other than him and the police would not believe him because he was my friend).  He said if she's dead then you cannot help her and if she's mentally disturbed she might be faking it just to get attention but if she's hurt then you could be held responsible and have to pay for everything.

That made me think (still nobody had stopped and numerous motorbikes and cars just by drove right around her).  She did not appear to be breathing or moving at all so I thought about it for a minute and then just took off.  

Had there been others stopped there before me it would not have been a problem but do to the circumstances, you're right... sometimes (not always) it's better to just drive on by.

45 minutes ago, puukao said:

it was only today I saved 14 kittens from a mouth of a croc and then hunted wild buffalo to feed a family of 32 and then rescue 8 cats from a burning building while giving cpr to 23 people who almost drowned.  

ya shoved your tongue in my mouth you freak. Next time let me drown.

I sure know why you want to play lifeguard

• Haha 1