Denied at Don Mueang.

3 hours ago, Ian Pickles said:

Only posting as an FYI so others don't make the same mistake I did. A bit in my defense, I have never been told by immigration, nor have I ever read anywhere, exactly what we can and can not do with VOA's. And to save you a couple of key strokes, yes I am guilty of not doing enough homework on the subject. 

It's nice of you to try and help people out in this way but 99% of long stayers know it by now anyway and the ones who don't are not reading this forum.

Edited by edwardandtubs

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Thanks I'm Canadian too and was also denied at Don Muang (first tourist visa ever)... I will go to Vietnam soon and I know canadian have to apply 3 days in advance for the visa. Now I'm too scared to come back via the airport even with marriage visa. I plan to do a long detour via Cambodia and also avoid Poipet/Ayutthaya when coming back.

I flew to HCMC earlier this month, stayed for 5 days then caught the bus to Phnom Penh ($10) VISA at the border $30 or $35 stayed a week then flew back to Chiang Mai via Don Muang.

If you think you might want to extend Cambodia for longer than 30 days get the ordinary VISA @ $35.

Harder and more expensive to extend the $30 tourist VISA when in the country, worth the extra $5 to know you can extend for up to 1 year.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I reentered Thailand at Don Mueang last Tuesday, coming from Vietnam with my Thai b/f. Retirement extension. First time for me entering DM from abroad so I was a bit nervous about the things one reads here on TV - long queues & awful Immigration officers particularly females.

I was thru in 3 minutes. Airport at around 1730 practically empty, apart from some noisy Chinese tourists who were guided into Chinese-only areas of Immigration. Only 1 person ahead of me in queue. My female Immigration officer wasn't exactly friendly but not notably rude. Asked where we were staying before heading on to Surin. My b/f meantime worked thru the Thai-only machine 3 or 4 metres away. Taxi room had only 3 or 4 people ahead of us. No sign of returning Songkran hordes on the expressway into town. We made it to checkin at our Asoke hotel 60 minutes after touch-down. Which seems to me like some kind of record.

Same for me at 9:30am, VOA areas packed like sardines, nobody in the Air Asia pass to domestic immigration, or the normal exit to Bangkok immigration. Completely empty, I thought I'd slipped into the twilight zone. (I entered with a 90 day non 'o')

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

They haven't found a way to collect extra-money from people on TR entries without getting caught, which is why they are "cracking down" on those using them.  

Only extensions which may involve agents, or the elite visa for the huge payoff (at 10x the going-rate for a visa in the region) is acceptable.

I heard they work in shifts, perhaps once their 6 months or whatever at the airport is over they're rotated to working at immigration offices. Everyone takes turns to do the easy tip collecting desk work, then the long commute airport dirty work, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Thanks I'm Canadian too and was also denied at Don Muang (first tourist visa ever)... I will go to Vietnam soon and I know canadian have to apply 3 days in advance for the visa. Now I'm too scared to come back via the airport even with marriage visa. I plan to do a long detour via Cambodia and also avoid Poipet/Ayutthaya when coming back.

Actually one day is enough for application of Vietnamese VOA, if you fly in and go the invitation letter route with vietnampro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

When he stated "now working on a tourist visa", he did not mean he was working a job while on a tourist visa. He meant that he is attempting to obtain (working on) a tourist visa.

Did not think that needed clarification, but thank you.

• Like 1

I'm 58 and went to Thailand for vacation last week. I, too, am Canadian. I used my 1st freebie of the 2 we are now offered and the immi guy scrutinized every page and stamp in my passport.

Whereas once we were allowed unfettered access to the LOS, we now get 2 free crossings per year and then must buy a 1000 baht visa every time. Waits to get an appointment at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane to apply are regularly 2 weeks. It seems to all us ex-pats here in Laos that visa runners and overstayers are the bane of our existence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

When he stated "now working on a tourist visa", he did not mean he was working a job while on a tourist visa. He meant that he is attempting to obtain (working on) a tourist visa.

he said,   " In Phnom Penh now working on a tourist visa ",

to me that means he is WORKING< NOT LOOKING for work

nothing about looking for a job as its quite easy to get an EG extension, ( valid for up to 6 months) while your looking for work>>>

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

You explained in your thread why you got evicted at Mr Don airport.

You can't fly in and out on 30 day stamps without eventually being stopped.

I lived here for years on 30_day visa runs same as 10,000's of foreigners.

Those days are over.

Also avoid female officers. A male officer might have let you in with a polite warning.

Pattaya sex tourists aren't flavour of the month with females.

I lined up on a male officer for that very reason, but the secondary station was nothing but female. They were not all bad, but the one in charge was vile at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Why didn't you get a tourist visa?   Do you think Thailand wants everyone to enter for free?  

Had a friend who was denied recently who has been running on tourist visas for a while, so that one is not foolproof either.

8 minutes ago, Ian Pickles said:

I lined up on a male officer for that very reason, but the secondary station was nothing but female. They were not all bad, but the one in charge was vile at best.

First of all, thanks for your report. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

Did they ask you any meaningful questions, such as what you are doing in Thailand, where you are staying, proof of accommodation / money / outbound ticket? Or just processed you for denial without going through the motions of a proper secondary inspection?

How was it decided that you flew to Phnom Penh instead of back to Vietnam, was that your idea or the airline's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

Basically,  if you are working over sea's say in mining and fly in out for taxation purposes like some Aussies do Using Thailand as a home base , the days of using an arrival card to enter Thailand is dead.

Yes, but what appropriate documents have the Thai authorities implemented for this sector of tourists?  Zero? 

They just let all that money go to Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Bali etc, because, "You come Thailand too much.  What you do here?"  ????

Edited by Thailand Outcast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Why didn't you get a tourist visa?   Do you think Thailand wants everyone to enter for free?  

They are denying entry to people with tourist visas as well. Many of which have reported they fly to a nearby country and enter at a land boarder, with the same visa that was denied at the airport.  Go figure.  

• Like 1

Harder and more expensive to extend the $30 tourist VISA when in the country, worth the extra $5 to know you can extend for up to 1 year.

Cambodia:
VERY easy to extend the tourist visa for 30 days more, cost is about $45

you can get a 6 month EG extension for Cambodia, ( looking for work) apx $185

you can get a 3, 6 or 12 month ER extension if ur over 55 ( retired) apx $285 for the 12 month

NOT easy to get a EB, ( working) extension unless u are working and hold a wp.

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

he said,   " In Phnom Penh now working on a tourist visa ",

to me that means he is WORKING< NOT LOOKING for work

nothing about looking for a job as its quite easy to get an EG extension, ( valid for up to 6 months) while your looking for work>>>

Again, thank you for the clarification that I never dreamed would be needed.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

First of all, thanks for your report. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

Did they ask you any meaningful questions, such as what you are doing in Thailand, where you are staying, proof of accommodation / money / outbound ticket? Or just processed you for denial without going through the motions of a proper secondary inspection?

How was it decided that you flew to Phnom Penh instead of back to Vietnam, was that your idea or the airline's?

Now that you ask, the less than pleasant woman IO asked me "what are you doing, do you have ticket, do you have money, you in out, in out too much" all of which she never gave me a chance to answer and gave my passport a bit of a toss across the desk saying you no good. If anyone thinks that I am out of line for saying she is a <deleted>, I do not care and I can not help you. 

The reason I went to Phnom Penh was I told them that I had a single entry visa for Vietnam, which was now used, and they would not let me back in to the country if I went back. While I am at it, the Air Asia people were very reasonable through the whole affair, I can not say anything against them at all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shaurene said:

DM is the worst AP to arrive or depart. I have been in and out of Vietnam and I fly the Vietnam budget air line Vietien, which is good departs and arrives at Suvarnabum. 

Agree 100%, only problem was the only direct flight I could get to Danang and back was through DMK. I will not make the same mistake again. Regards.

10 hours ago, Ian Pickles said:
10 hours ago, donim said:

find a volunteer job, work a few hours in the week there, and get a non O visa, 90x4 days for a year.

I'm interested in your mention of a volunteer job.  Could you expand on that a bit or provide a link, please?  Thanks.