Denied at Don Mueang.

In March this year I had to travel to Beijing to visit my embassy (coz there isn't one in Thailand). I am on ED visa. So I had to apply for re-entry permit.

After my visit, flew back to Suvarnabhumi airport. It was around maybe 4:30 in the morning. Stood there in line, with my passport open and re-entry permit ready (coz IO at bkk immigration advised me to show it straight away). The IO in the booth was so rude. He started questioning me "Where you work in Pattaya?", so I answered him in Thai (coz i do study thai and my visa is based on that too). He didn't listen to me at all and just kept assuming what I do and just being rude in general. When I tried to give him any answers, he just ignored me and called a female IO over.

She took my passport and sat me down in this little corner further away from the booths. I have had some Single Entry Tourist visas two years ago. She checked every visa and started screaming at me that it's time for me to go home and that I just made a lot of problems for her. I got a bit frustrated and told her "Can you stop screaming and just listen to what I have to say?!". Then she gave me a brief chance to explain about my situation and stay in Thailand. Told her that first year I was traveling around with my fiance and after half a year, he was offered a job as a teacher. Since he liked it here, I have decided to start studying in Bangkok and he does support me financially. She took his details and went to check if he really is working here. 

She came back after like 30 minutes and then continued asking me why all of my tourist visas were from Vientiane. I asked her is that illegal? She said "no, but you make a lot of problems.". Told her that I was just advised by people to go there coz it's easy. Then she questioned about my and my fiances addresses (we live separately coz of work and studying, but its only a couple hours ride from one place to another). 

At the end she let me go, but said "this time I let you go, but next time you watch out". 

Unfortunately, now my ED visa papers had to be on hold, coz my new passport arrived late (I still have another 6months to study the last level of Thai), so the school told me to get one Tourist visa while I'm waiting.

I am pretty sure I will be denied at the airport this time... Damn. :))

23 minutes ago, BrakkaToss said:

I am pretty sure I will be denied at the airport this time... Damn. :))

Enter by land. If you get the visa in Vientiane, cross the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai, and fly domestic from Udon Thani airport to your final destination.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrakkaToss said:

well, thing is, I booked flights to Kuala Lumpur, coz always wanted to go there. Only after, I thought about these stupid problems. So yeah, my mistake. :)) 

Kuala Lumpur is a decent option for your visa application. From Kuala Lumpur, you could take the train to Padang Besar, crossing into Thailand by land, and making your way to Hat Yai airport. This is not ideal, but would be a safer option than trying to fly to Bangkok.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BrakkaToss said:

well, thing is, I booked flights to Kuala Lumpur, coz always wanted to go there. Only after, I thought about these stupid problems. So yeah, my mistake. :)) 

Well you be far wiser throwing you ticket away over risking issues at airport immi entry .

Days of doing trips you want are long gone, you got choose what best for entry success over any personal preference of travel

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Kuala Lumpur is a decent option for your visa application. From Kuala Lumpur, you could take the train to Padang Besar, crossing into Thailand by land, and making your way to Hat Yai airport. This is not ideal, but would be a safer option than trying to fly to Bangkok.

Let me 2nd this.  I have taken the train from Penang and KL to Pedang Besar - easy to do - the trains in Malaysia are frequent and decent quality. 

After you enter Thailand, you can take a bus or taxi into Hat Yai from directly in front of the entry-point.  You could even take a train to Hat Yai, or all the way to Bangkok (2nd class sleeper is good) - but have to get the timing right, as the Thai trains are not nearly as frequent as those in Malaysia.  See here:

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Train_times

But, be sure to have 20K Baht worth of cash to show when crossing that border into Thailand - they are known to ask to see this for those entering with a Tourist Visa.  I would use the immigration entry-point in the train-station (if that option is still available).

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, JackThompson said:

Because those land-borders follow the law, and do not use lies / inapplicable reasons for denial.

You only get 60-days max -then must apply for an extension to max-out at 90.  No one is "living here" on short-term entries - they must leave frequently, and upon each entry and visa-application show they still have money.

Visa Exempt border-bouncers were scrutinized during that period, but that "crackdown" (purportedly based on illegal-workers) never affected those with valid Tourist Visas and the cash to show.

They are not denying for "not being a tourist."  They are denying for "not having long-term money" - even though the rules stay you just need 20K Baht for a 60-day permitted-stay with a Tourist Visa or 10K if entering Visa-Exempt. 

The rule being used for denial is inapplicable to a person entering for a short-term permitted stay.

In terms of Thailand's laws, a tourist don't take a Thai-job, and has their own money to spend.  But you know about the airports and the one bad land-border - the laws don't apply there.

Actually, it does.  There is no legal reason for denial based on "here too much/often before."

PR gives you the right to stay permanently.  A tourist entry gives you the right to stay for 30 or 60-days - extendable at immigration's discretion for another 30-days.  

There is no known rule or set of legal definitions relating to the dishonest denials of entry.   Some people away for a year have been hassled.  Europeans who winter here (even older people - obviously retired) have faced the same.  Off/On oil workers also had problems (many don't come any more). 

What happens is based on whatever they feel like doing to you for any made-up reason - nothing based on law/order/rules - quite the contrary, in fact.

I am not disagreeing with you.

The whole system is a disgrace. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

As I have asked in the past, please define, "living here?" 

What criteria is used when deeming someone as "living here?" 

I would say you are living there if you have legal paperwork / documentation in your name. Such as a bank account, drivers license, pay rent and have a rental or lease agreement you've signed, own property or a vehicle, have utility bills, etc etc

40 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I would say you are living there if you have legal paperwork / documentation in your name. Such as a bank account, drivers license, pay rent and have a rental or lease agreement you've signed, own property or a vehicle, have utility bills, etc etc

Well after 180+ days u are tax resident of thailand. Thats pretty much whrre the border is between tourist and living there for most countries.