Thai fisherman returns iPhone found floating in the ocean to American tourist

webfact

13 minutes ago, NightSky said:

I think 'rewards' are all too expected. It would be a much more genuinely kind and impressive act to decline the reward monies and simply hand back the property to the rightful owner.

Ha ha - the Fisherman works possibly a week to have 2000 Baht salary - how long you and the Tourist have to work for 2000 Baht income - cheap charly - OMG ????

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Chris Dodd said: he picked up the phone to try to find its owner and in doing so he moved it to a different location, which is considered theft under Thai law.

So the fisherman anchored, and did not leave the spot in the ocean where he found the phone to avoid jail?

Some hair splitting ? 

I read "

Mr Dodd said he found the phone just as he was about to get into the taxi after arriving at Chiang Mai airport.

He looked around to see if he could spot someone who may have dropped it but could not see anyone so he decided to take with him to the hostel to try to trace the owner from there.

Soon after arriving at the hostel, Mr Dodd was arrested after police had seen him on CCTV picking it up."

So in my opinion - he made it the wrong way ????

4 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I always find it remarkable that the press are always on hand to witness these unselfish acts of kindness ...

You like only to see blood and accidents and death? ????

2 hours ago, bipper said:

Strange BIB didn't arrest him leave him in jail for 10 days for picking up something that didn't belong to him in the sea? No bucks in that obviously. See similar post.

No no - the fisherman took the call - delivered phone - the Tourist did it not bring to authorities at airport - brought it to his flat ????

Mr Dodd said he found the phone just as he was about to get into the taxi after arriving at Chiang Mai airport.

He looked around to see if he could spot someone who may have dropped it but could not see anyone so he decided to take with him to the hostel to try to trace the owner from there.

Soon after arriving at the hostel, Mr Dodd was arrested after police had seen him on CCTV picking it up.

1 hour ago, Boatfreak said:

So he went straight from the boat to the airport? Pretty nice clothes to wear on a ship no?

I presume he got the call and took it - if that was on the boat or in the way to authorities or on the way home or in his home - he took the call and delivered - people with bad intentions - take first the SIM card out and never answer a call at all. 

What serendipity! To be on hand to report the altruistic generosity of a 'Trang fisherman', on the very same day that a British 'tattoo artist' returns home after being accused of a crime. And both stories are about phones! Not taxis for a change!

As the TAT has it, in its rather thread-worn slogan , Thailand is truly amazing.

42 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Ha ha - the Fisherman works possibly a week to have 2000 Baht salary - how long you and the Tourist have to work for 2000 Baht income - cheap charly - OMG ????

You seem to have musunderdtood the meaning of kindness and honesty. 

Its not about who has to work how long and for what, it’s about doing what is right by your fellow man.

if I found the keys to a Harley Davidson motorcycle or a gold bullion bar worth much more than the iPhone I would still return it to its owner and not expect a reward. 

Its not about rewards its about doing what is right.

22 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Slight correction the American that went to jail was British, i believe!

Yes. You are 100% correct. I messed up, and have now "lost-face" to all TV members. 

My credibility is now down the drain. 

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

2k is a nice reward. good on all of them. 

Thai found phone . Moved phone to different location why he not in jail for 10 days like the foriener. I tell you if i see crash car or bike. Thai badly injured i will walk away incase i get the blame happy now

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I always find it remarkable that the press are always on hand to witness these unselfish acts of kindness ...

I always find it remarkable that good news stories ( all too few of them ) are a magnet for sourpusses.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A kind act by the fisherman but......

why was this guy thrown in jail for 'picking up phone': https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1089352-british-man-released-on-bail-in-thailand-over-theft-of-mobile-phone/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-14066055 - seems like he innocently picked up a phone he found on the floor. 

Didn't the fisherman do pretty much the same thing?

I was wondering the very same thing. Might it just have something to do with the nationality?

3 hours ago, johng50 said:

That was so handy IN A WATERPROOF ZIP LOCK FLOATING BAG, how lucky was that, 

Ever heard of a dry bag?  They come in many sizes including for a cell phone.  I ALWAYS carry my cell phone in a dry bag whenever I am out in a boat (just in case something like this happens).  Used to go jet skiing in Hawaii all the time and always had my phone with me in a bag and yes... it saved my phone numerous times.

pm me your address and I'll send you one.  I have many.

9 hours ago, ancharee said:

would a iPhone float in water ?

9 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Not unless it is in a dry bag (or similar).

"fisherman Roongroj Benmud found an iPhone 6 Plus in a waterproof zip-lock bag"

20 hours ago, webfact said:

But before he could get to the police station the iPhone, still in working order, began to ring.

Well of course he didn't make it to the police station,but there was time to arrange for the press photo op.????

I handed back a wallet which i found laying on the car deck of a ferry yesterday to a Thai guy who had dropped it,  go on guess how much he gave me as a reward, a clue; begins with a Z and ends with a O, not even a wai. ????

Archived