Which beach to visit with dog?

M93

Hello, 

I am living in Kanchanburi province. 

Me and my boyfriend want to take about 2/3 days holiday with our dog at the beach. 

We will go by car so thought that Cha-am or Hua hin might be a good option. 

We will bring our dog which in size and looks is similar to a maltese. 

Which beach will be best for us to visit? 

Do restaurants accept dogs in these areas, will we have much problem with aggressive street dogs? 

Will they allow us to rent beach beds/chairs if we will sit with our dog?

I think we might have a preference for hua hin, as the beach seems nicer and there are more things to do around, but I'd like to hear from some locals or people who have visited with dogs if this is a good idea or not. 

I have yet to find a beach area, or anywhere else for that matter, where it's pleasant and hassle free to walk a dog in Thailand. Whenever we've taken our little bitzer (Heinz variety) to the beach there are always soi dogs protecting their turf, so you have to remain constantly vigilant that he's not attacked. I only walk him around our gated village now, just too stressful to take him anywhere else walking. I'm in Pattaya so can't speak for Hua Hin.

The main beach on Hua Hin town is public and usually busy. If you can move south to Khao Takiab or Khao Tao the beaches there are roomy and many expats and local exercise their dogs along the strands. Khao Takiab although cramped from a road traffic point of view has ameneties such as hotels, bars, restaurants whereas Khao Tao is very quiet. Khao Tao however has a large lake with a recently completed promenade all the way around for pedestrians and (controlled) dog-walkers if you can dodge the groups of illegal anglers???? 

We have been walking our dog  (3.5kg feather duster on feet) on the southern end of the main beach a couple of times a week for the last few years. we generally enter the beach from the soi that runs between ibis and chiva som. most days we can walk either north or south without  any issues from soi dogs. We generally use a chest harness on our dog  so we can get it off the ground quickly if we do encounter a soi dog(s) and carry a stick.  further south (Khao Takiab)and north (towards town) there are normally soi dogs, particularly near sources of food. The paved walkway around the lake at Khao Tao is generally pretty good except where the shops and houses are on the east side where again there are issues with soi dogs. Main thing is to keep your eyes open and carry a stick. You can take your dog into both Bluport and Market village if it is in a stroller or bag some shops will allow the dog in but others will not.  With a small dog we have found the best strategy  is to get it off the ground quickly if soi dogs become an issue. Trust this is of assistance.

Until recently used to take our dog to Khoa Takiab beach in the mornings (for years). Never a problem if you go onto the beach further South than the ferry terminal. No soi mutts and the beach is much nicer once you get past the beach food establishments.

Sold our property there 5 weeks ago so now we don't take her when we visit.

Archived