Navy launches operation ’Remove Seastead’

webfact

It gives the Navy something to do while they wait for their submarines. I see this incident to be little different from anchoring a boat outside Thai territory and living on it. Seems to me that this was more of an experiment but they would still need fresh water, access to food etc. so long term living would not be sustainable.

What's the difference in terms of maritime law?

There are many differences; lack of propulsion - ie: a platform is unable to navigate out of the way of a vessel that has lost steering; lighting and markings are different for a vessel at anchor than a platform; a platform must be noted on area maritime charts - there are entire volumes specifying maritime requirements for each - too many to mention on a forum

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Incorrect as I understand it. It is not an abandoned platform, just currently unmanned. A very big legal difference.

Regardless if this is an unmanned or abandoned platform, since they claim to be in international waters, they must meet all UN requirements including MARPOL. The UN requirements require certification by an approved authority. Looking at the build specs in the designers website, this structure does not conform to UN regulations for operation in international waters.

Since there is habitation in the platform, it would follow that the correct designation would be a manned platform. The this structure does not appear conform to UN SOLAS regulations.

1 minute ago, Sealbash said:

Regardless if this is an unmanned or abandoned platform, since they claim to be in international waters, they must meet all UN requirements including MARPOL. The UN requirements require certification by an approved authority. Looking at the build specs in the designers website, this structure does not confirm to UN regulations for operation in international waters.

Balderdash. Give you a clue - the certifying authority for this structure were ?

55 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Incorrect as I understand it. It is not an abandoned platform, just currently unmanned. A very big legal difference.

Or unoccupied. No different than leaving one's home to be somewhere else. Abandonment means forfeiting title.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Balderdash. Give you a clue - the certifying authority for this structure were ?

My guess is that the Thai boat yard that built had to assure it met certification standards as a vessel before title would pass to the buyer.

My guess is that the Thai boat yard that built had to assure it met certification standards as a vessel before title would pass to the buyer.

As with any vessel, platform, or ocean going structure, the yard will build to owners specifications. The owner is responsible to liaise with class authorities to have drawings approved prior to construction. Only in very large shipbuilding projects do companies give the entire process over to the yard. In which case the yard must liaise with class authorities for drawing approval.
One the project is built, the owner will then gain regulatory approval from the relevant agencies. So, no, I do not believe the yard was involved in obtaining certification.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Only in very large shipbuilding projects do companies give the entire process over to the yard. In which case the yard must liaise with class authorities for drawing approval.

Interestingly the yard is currently under investigation as a result of discovering this structure.

The investigations of course are tangential and focus on tax matter. A convenient way to club them with ordeal by trial...

Just now, Sealbash said:

I believe you are correct. Which in itself is a contradiction of UN requirements.

Hence, the admiralty's particularly drastic orders.

Do we see here a pattern of actions in the past? That is were the circumstances are legally murky disproportional and unreasonable actions -- quasi-legal and extrajudicial -- are taken by the state and it's agencies.

Hence, the admiralty's particularly drastic orders.

Do we see here a pattern of actions in the past? That is were the circumstances are legally murky disproportional and unreasonable actions -- quasi-legal and extrajudicial -- are taken by the state and it's agencies.

Unless legal authority rests with star in this instance. Perhaps even by request of UN? None of us, including the press, are privy to the workings of international / government interactions. If not Thailand, then who would be responsible for addressing this situation? I am sure it is not a free for all just because they are past the 12 Mike boundary. I thing state navy has a broader reach than that.

Archived