Poll -- How cheap are your dining out Charlies?

Jingthing

This poll topic asks, when dining out, including tax/soft drink/tip what 100 baht gradation represents an "expensive" meal to you PER PERSON?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Moo gata for 5 people, including 2 beers and drinking water at the only restaurant in my village is just over 400 baht. Personally I would rather the other 4 people stayed at home so I could have an XXL burger king meal for a similar price. Only problem is that the nearest one is a 6 hour drive.

I always ask for breasts when I go to KFC, but they don't always give them to me (story of my life) - breasts are much more popular in Europe than Thailand, which isn't surprising given the difference in size.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Moo gata for 5 people, including 2 beers and drinking water at the only restaurant in my village is just over 400 baht. Personally I would rather the other 4 people stayed at home so I could have an XXL burger king meal for a similar price. Only problem is that the nearest one is a 6 hour drive.

I always ask for breasts when I go to KFC, but they don't always give them to me (story of my life) - breasts are much more popular in Europe than Thailand, which isn't surprising given the difference in size.

Ya. I don't get angry.  I just tell them the wings go to my dog now give me two more breasts.  I wonder if I'm saying it correctly.  Oak Gai?

when we go out it can cost anywhere between 150 baht to 1200 baht on average, wife thinks up to 700 baht is reasonable. Found some of the more expensive restaurants are not as good too, the food is passable but not great as they rely purely on their name/setting generally with bad service, found those between 400 and 700 baht to be the best quality of food and service

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw a couple of short videos of them on YouTube. Soon it was obvious that it's all staged. I didn't watch it then anymore.

It's ALL staged? Really? Do you think they are not legitimate businesses involved? Do you really think that they've set up fake businesses to use in the production? If so, you are wrong. 

No doubt that a lot of "reality" TV has a lot of staged parts, including Kitchen Nightmares, but I guarantee you that at least some of the situations from this show are definitely legitimate. Check out the episode(s) about Amy's Baking Company and the genuine flack that occurs after production and airing. The business, the near-insane owners, and the social media uproar that ensues are definitely real. 

Any BTW, if you think there are not kitchens that are filthy nightmares everywhere in the world, and especially in developing countries like Thailand, then you're really fooling yourself. 

12 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

It's ALL staged? Really? Do you think they are not legitimate businesses involved? Do you really think that they've set up fake businesses to use in the production? If so, you are wrong. 

No doubt that a lot of "reality" TV has a lot of staged parts, including Kitchen Nightmares, but I guarantee you that at least some of the situations from this show are definitely legitimate. Check out the episode(s) about Amy's Baking Company and the genuine flack that occurs after production and airing. The business, the near-insane owners, and the social media uproar that ensues are definitely real. 

Any BTW, if you think there are not kitchens that are filthy nightmares everywhere in the world, and especially in developing countries like Thailand, then you're really fooling yourself. 

Ok, lets start with the obvious: There are bad kitchens out there. And from most of them there will never be a published video or photo.

I don't know how much about the kitchen nightmare is wrong. It's some time ago that I saw it. But an obvious giveaway are always scenes with camera shots from a couple of different angles which are supposed to be random, like they just accidentally happened. BS!

And if restaurants expect that a video is made about them, and they obviously agreed to that, would they leave all that crap in the fridges? I think that is hard to believe.

And if some parts are staged that means for me it's staged.

It's entertainment. But it's like any other entertainment: Some parts resemble real life, but others are just fantasy to make it fun to watch.

I want to add some clarification to the intended concept here coming from the O.P. (moi) --

it's assumed that people that eat meals out eat in a range of pricing levels

For many people that ranges from some street noodles to high end restaurants

It's also assumed that for most people they have kind of an "everday" or "often enough" normal level of spend

It's also assumed that except those on very restricted budgets, sometimes people go over that level

"Expensive" here does not mean OVERPRICED or RIP OFF! While some high priced meals may indeed be rip offs, that's not the point of this poll.

The point is the assumption that most people have a sort of NORMAL everyday price level and when they spend OVER that level, then that's the beginning point where a meal can be categorized as more expensive.

All relative to your own concept of the cost for normal everyday meals.

For example in my case, my normal everyday meals range about 250 to 350. Of course I don't always spend that much (but usually do). So 400 is the beginning point of being above that everyday level. 

As far as drinks, it's not rocket science. If you normally order two beers, just subtract that and add a normal price for water or soft drink. Then we can get more normalized results as drinking is a separate category of consumption.

No, you cannot change your vote.

The poll is for entertainment and discussion purposes only. 

Since I run around so much, my diet is 40 baht meals in various low and seedy places, followed up by an orgy of Eatigo Hotel Buffets.

Here in the states....well get a grill and go for it!

I usually prepare all my food at home so whatever we spend when we're out and about depends on the family...sometimes they're content with the tescos food hall cuisine other times it's some horrible pizza or KFC and the prices vary accordingly...sometimes I insist on a big mac and then the price sky rockets...

other times they'll just go and get takeaway from the talaat fer supper and then I might settle for a 50baht kweiteo muu daeng...maybe cheap charlie but it sure does taste good, nice broth inna plastic bag with a rubber band, neatly packaged noodles, dumplings veg and pork with condiments, etc, mix together and dig in...

last time I went to a restaurant was with a pal who came out to visit from Pasadena about 2 years ago and it was like a whole new experience, got indian food in BKK as I could see that the street food made him queasy...

For me, paying over 300 baht for food is getting expensive. Used to be a nice buffet in Udon for 300 baht, not including any drinks, with a top chef and good decor etc., used to go about twice a month and that was my 'go to' place for eating out. Their are only a couple of more expensive places around here. Otherwise, lunch or breakfast if out usually 100-200 baht (including coffee and juice). Most meals are prepared at home, takeaways like pad thai about once a week and pizza maybe once a month.

When comparing to UK, well most restaurants there charge a fortune, beyond the means of pensioners. Pub grub can be just as good and can usually find something under 10 GBP (400 baht), but only eat out there if with family or friends. If eating at home in the UK. often cheaper than Thailand if Farang style.

Archived