The Official Glasgow Rangers Thread

Jockstar

On 3/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Jockstar said:

Many people against this. I get it and i understand why. But what about us who live in Australia and very rarely get back to Uk to watch games? My son is half Thai and half Scottish . But born in Australia. He loves the Rangers. My family send him the strips over every year. Told him about this. He is stoked. If it happens. we will be there.

I see your point J but............ 

A "friendly" against Celtic, I always thought that wasn't possible. The object is of course to raise funds, a shame they are the opposition. 

I wonder if their non-sectarian following will sing their song glorifying the death of Lee Rigby. 

Yer right we deserved to go through

It was a real test conceding early

And the draw is now looking great we can beat Braga again, the semi final will take care of its self as those games are down to bottle

So here’s hoping

some informaiton for next year 

Rangers are currenlty 38th overall in UEFA Rankings 

image.png.7f34642ea354ec936622c169dab9032b.png

Scotland will be 9th in season 2023-24 European Competition ( UEFA are 1 year behind)

image.png.398be188ef33316d3131f602deb5084a.png

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

Europa semis here we come. <deleted> get in. Dare to dream?

• Match Report: Rangers 3:1 (3:2) SC Braga

IT was another special European night at Ibrox as Rangers progressed to the semi-finals of the UEFA Europa League after extra time against SC Braga.

James Tavernier was on target less than two minutes into the match and again from the penalty spot late in the first-half as Rangers went in with a 2-0 advantage at the break.

A David Carmo header drew Braga level on aggregate late on to send the match to extra time but Kemar Roofe got the all-important goal to secure Rangers’ place in the last four of the competition.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst named two changes to his starting XI from Sunday’s Scottish Premiership victory over St Mirren as Calvin Bassey and Ryan Jack returned to the starting XI.

That meant Rangers started the match with Allan McGregor in goal and a back four of James Tavernier, Connor Goldson, Calvin Bassey and Borna Barisic.

140422 Rangers vs Braga, Team Photo 42

John Lundstram and Ryan Jack were joined in midfield by Joe Aribo, while Aaron Ramsey and Ryan Kent provided support for striker Kemar Roofe.

After a 1-0 defeat in Braga in the first-leg last Thursday evening, it was a huge night for the Light Blues with a sold-out Ibrox behind them as they looked to overturn the deficit.

It was a dream start as with just over one minute on the clock the ball was in the back of the net and the home crowd erupted. It was a great move from Rangers who threatened straight from kick-off. Ryan Kent did well to keep the ball in at the byline before cutting it back to left-back Borna Barisic.

The Croatian whipped an inviting ball into the box which was flicked on by Joe Aribo into the path of captain James Tavernier at the back-post and he fired beyond Matheus to give Rangers the early lead.

It was a lively start from the home side and they had the ball in the back of the net for a second time with just five minutes on the clock. Borna Barisic’s cross was headed home by Kemar Roofe but the goal was denied by VAR after a hand ball from Barisic in the build-up.

140422 Rangers vs Braga, James Tavernier Goal 38

The Light Blues were continuing to threaten as Joe Aribo found James Tavernier - who had again made a good run to the back post - but this time his effort was just wide of the post.

Just after the 20 minute mark another great delivery from Borna Barisic was swung into the danger area in search of James Tavernier and Kemar Roofe but neither could get a touch to divert the ball goalwards before the danger was cleared by the visitors.

Braga had their first sight of goal minutes later as the ball broke for Abel Ruiz and he picked out Ricardo Horta in space outside the box but his strike drifted high over Allan McGregor’s goal.

Another huge chance came the way of Rangers as the game passed the half-hour mark. Tavernier delivered a fantastic corner into the box which was flicked on by Calvin Bassey before Kemar Roofe struck a powerful shot towards goal but the crossbar denied the striker as it rattled back off the woodwork.

140422 Rangers vs Braga, Ryan Jack 61

With less than five minutes to half-time Rangers were awarded a penalty as Calvin Bassey lifted a long ball over the top to send Kemar Roofe through on goal. The Jamaican international was brought down by Vitor Tormena as he looked to get a shot away and the referee pointed to the spot with the defender shown a straight red card.

It was James Tavernier who stepped up to the spot and the captain showed his calmness under pressure to slot beyond Matheus and give Rangers the aggregate lead for the first-time in this quarter-final tie.

Into the second-half, Joe Aribo curled a left-footed shot just wide of Mateus’ post as the Light Blues looked to increase their advantage.

Rangers were continuing to threaten and another Borna Barisic delivery caused problems for the visitors as he picked out Aaron Ramsey in the box but his powerful header drifted just over the crossbar.

140422 Rangers vs Braga, James Tavernier Second Goal Celebration 55

With 20 minutes remaining, Gers once again had the ball in the back of the net as Joe Aribo found the run of Kemar Roofe to send him through on goal. The striker beat Mateus’ but the linesman raised his flag for offside as the ball crossed the line.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst made two substitutions with 10 minutes remaining as Glen Kamara and Scott Wright were introduced in place of Aaron Ramsey and Ryan Jack.

With their first corner of the match, Braga got a goal back to draw the aggregate score level in the 83rd minute. The set-piece was swung into the box by Iuri Medeiros and was headed beyond Allan McGregor by David Carmo.

Five minutes were added on as the game edged close to extra time. With the final kick of the 90, Ryan Kent’s cross was headed just wide by Connor Goldson and the referee blew his whistle as Ibrox prepared for another 30 minutes in this tie.

140422 Rangers vs Braga, Kemar Roofe Goal Celebration 75

It was Rangers who got the all-important breakthrough in extra time, Glen Kamara picked the ball up at the byline and found Joe Aribo. The Nigerian fired a dangerous ball across the face of goal and Kemar Roofe was on hand to poke the ball home from close range and swing the tie back in Rangers’ favour.

The visitors were reduced to nine men as substitute Iuri Medeiros was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Leon Balogun.

Into the second-half of extra time, Scott Arfield came close as he got on the end of a cut-back from Ryan Kent but his shot was wide of the post.

Rangers saw out the final stages of extra time to book their place in the UEFA Europa League Semi-Finals where they will face RB Leipzig.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a dream come true last night lads

Looking for somewhere to watch the final in Thailand, can’t make it to UK or to Spain, Currently in Krabi but willing travel to BKK / Pattaya / Phuket anywhere the party is.

Any suggestions ?

9 hours ago, Bool289 said:

What a dream come true last night lads

Looking for somewhere to watch the final in Thailand, can’t make it to UK or to Spain, Currently in Krabi but willing travel to BKK / Pattaya / Phuket anywhere the party is.

Any suggestions ?

Try Pattaya Loyal RSC fb page, they are trying to get something organised. 

28 minutes ago, rott said:

Please save your acerbic posts for your neighbours.. 

I cannot take the credit for the wit but in seriousness, I wonder if Stevie would have preferred to have been in the final with Rangers than managing a mediocre side in the PL. Although he won't openly admit it I bet he's a tad jealous

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I cannot take the credit for the wit but in seriousness, I wonder if Stevie would have preferred to have been in the final with Rangers than managing a mediocre side in the PL. Although he won't openly admit it I bet he's a tad jealous

Well he had no confidence in getting there. 

2 hours ago, SweatySock said:

Any recommendations for the best way/channel to watch the final? I'm stuck up in the boony so travelling to BKK or PTY is not really an option.

I'll give you a heads-up  but warp.football or ballzaa.com 

• Like 1