Poll: Retired Expats in Thailand -- in light of visa changes would you recommend Thailand to new retired expats?

Jingthing

Recommend or not?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Who wants to put up with such lunacy when you are looking for peace and quiet ? 

You can live in Vietnam, have the same sort of life without the stupidity and hassles and still spend time in Thailand to get your fill of lunacy without the hassles. 

Thailand is kaput. A waste of time.   Even China offers more certainty than Thailand. 

This strikes home.

Out of the hundreds of guys I have met here, only a few came not for the cheap beer and cheaper girls/boys/ladyboys and just about 10% got caught here. Rice Fever. I have friends that have all but burnt there bridges at home and have very little left. Thailand won’t be there last stand as they are being pushed across to the Philippines or Cambodia due to the visa laws now being enacted. Asking any of these guys did they ever see this coming, most reply they did not think this far ahead in their plannings. 

You are are most likely better off now using Thailand for short time holidays if your just into bars and girls. If you want to integrate as in the sense you are here for more riding around the mountains on a motorcycle type of guy than the bars, you need to make a long term plan. I see that as the biggest failing that most make not planning properly for old age, just hoping you will pop your cogs one day and have no issues like dementia or slowly going blind. 

If you are not well funded, forget it. You’re just going to be in for a mile of hurt. That’s how I am thinking these day

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you make about $52,000 U.S. that's about 1.6 million baht that should put you in the safe zone for retirement visa and family visa (extension of stay). Single you can enjoy life, marriage with kids can get expensive but 1.6 is still a reliable income. Anything less try Cambodia. I am here 13 years. If I had to do it again in Southeast Asia it would be Vietnam or Cambodia. I can always visit Thailand  from these countries. No big hazzels with immigration, or agents,queques, traffic,air. I am here can't leave because of responsibilities to family whom I enjoy otherwise I'd be gone. It's mainly the bureaucratic experience that kills off your desire to stay. Just so annoying. An example of a nice thing to do would be Married with family after house checks (they check your residency) would not have to go to 90 days. Once a year check in would be enough and then renewal.  They could do the same with retirement. There seems to be no incentive to do this. It would cut the workload in immigration somewhat. Especially in busy places but they do nothing that makes any sense. Just reams of paperwork that go to a computer and both are saved somewhere. Just stacks on stacks of recurring paper works, redundancy, and side issues.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:14 PM, madmen said:

Not without health insurance. Thats the first thing and if you think 800k is expensive just wait until your stroke bill after 2 weeks in ICU !

AND, wait till you experience an accident on a thai road that decreases your quality of life beyond the financial burden.  Yea, reality sets in when you realize there is little to NO legal or compensatory recourse. See how you feel about the thai wai (pun intended) of justice. 

24 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I have made the decision that when my daughter eaches sixth form age that we will go to the UK; she will learn free at sixth form college, I'll rent a property with the money saved by not having to pay for her school and it'll get her used to life in the UK before, hopefully, she goes to university there. The GF will join me during the summer and she'd work back in Thailand during the high season. It'd be a two year "test the water" plan at first and I'll decide therefter what's best for our futures.

Keep in mind that in general sixth forms require students to have attained a certain level, such as five GCSEs at level 5 or better. While grades might be transferable and of course kids come in from overseas, imagine it would be very difficult to simply walk in at that time (even with grades) without child having attended UK school, or at least having spent time here and interviewing with prospective colleges etc. Don't want to burst your bubble, but the place is very busy nowadays and college seats are harder to acquire, at which point many will defer to 'paid' college courses at levels 2/3. If poss, I'd suggest coming over for the last couple years of secondary school. While you're coping with the inevitable grass-is-greener realisation, it will help to get her grounded and prepare for sixth form. All the best.

There's always been uncertainties with visa requirements. Would certainly not recommend it long term when there are better priced and more stable options, but have always maintained it as being a great holiday destination. As an aside, reckon a significant reason among the powers that be for maintaining a high baht is to keep the wife-beater wearing numpties at bay. They make it look untidy ya know.

My wife and son lived in the UK with me ,when we came it was 72 baht to the pound , i think that if it was now and he was the same age ,we would have stayed , now ,its to late ,i am getting older ,he has a great job and is buying a house ,we cant just pack up and go back ,my pension is not 18600 pounds a year so i would have to leave my wife , i will do that the day i die.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, BritManToo said:

Thailand is a nasty vicious dangerous country for white folk, I wouldn't even recommend it for a two week holiday. 

The neighbouring countries are almost all more welcoming and safer these days.

If it weren't for my house and son, I wouldn't be here either.

take them with you, rent your house. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:24 AM, glegolo said:

As usual you guys needs to have a reality check, most of you it seems. The thread should indicate that you are thinking about expats from the 4 primtive one countries, the ones without income-letters, they are; Denmark, UK, Australia and USA. The rest of ALL OF US as a majority are just fine...... And can look forward to many fine years here in Thailand in the future hopefully......

glegolo

You are fine until Thailand levies a health insurance requirement for a visa extension that many will be unable to afford.

People that think they are fine living in a third world country with a sketchy govt are always teeting on the edge of something bad.

One rule change could do a lot of expats in for good.

16 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Keep in mind that in general sixth forms require students to have attained a certain level, such as five GCSEs at level 5 or better. While grades might be transferable and of course kids come in from overseas, imagine it would be very difficult to simply walk in at that time (even with grades) without child having attended UK school, or at least having spent time here and interviewing with prospective colleges etc. Don't want to burst your bubble, but the place is very busy nowadays and college seats are harder to acquire, at which point many will defer to 'paid' college courses at levels 2/3. If poss, I'd suggest coming over for the last couple years of secondary school. While you're coping with the inevitable grass-is-greener realisation, it will help to get her grounded and prepare for sixth form. All the best.

I'm starting the research now. She is taking IGCSEs at her school which will be transferable. She starts KS4 next year so will be taking these in two years and having spoken to educators now is not the best time to move but they seem to agree with my plan....as long as it is viable.

But thanks for your comments

On 4/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, luckyluke said:

I would recommend Thailand to my compatriots(Belgians) based on the actual Immigration rules, which haven't changed for us. 

Would you recommend the high cost of international health insurance?

AFAIK, living in Vietnam as a western expat typically requires pretty regular visa run exits out of the country....I wanna say every 90 days or so... Yes, no???

I'd count that in the "hassle" category, especially as folks get older and may be less inclined or able to make international travel trips.

I agree. Way too my much hassle in that. Cambodia has a better deal for retired expats. But its Cambodia.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/22/2019 at 2:14 PM, madmen said:

Not without health insurance. Thats the first thing and if you think 800k is expensive just wait until your stroke bill after 2 weeks in ICU !

On another thread you said your health insurance for a 56 y/o male was only $1200/yr ($100/mo). Am curious what the maximum payout for the medical emergency you described above would be under your $100/month policy.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:29 AM, Orton Rd said:

I would no longer recommend Thailand for a holiday never mind retiring here

We are living in Florida USA. I just asked my wife is she wanting to go back to Thailand for a holiday?

We are going to Aruba. Even she doesn't want to go back for a holiday.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, dbrenn said:

I would only recommend Thailand to cashed up expats, never to those who are anywhere near the minimum financial requirements. 

And that is obviously true for almost any country. I.e. hospitals want to get paid for their services anywhere and not just in Thailand. There is no such thing as a cheap health insurance for long term residents. The consequences are obvious for anybody who thinks about it for a minute ...

On 4/22/2019 at 4:30 AM, gk10002000 said:

I hate the current retiree visa situation, but I would say that is a reason to not retire to Thailand.  If one is fully funded and willing to deposit the 800K baht or one is willing to do the constant monthly transfers, get bank book updates, and all the constant reporting etc.. then the rest of Thailand and reasons to retire there haven't changed much.  Who knows, maybe nonsensical 90 day reporting will go away and 180 day or just yearly reporting will take over.  I guess it all depends on how the expat community handles the situation.  If retires drop vy 50% well, the economics may weigh in and expats will get some relief

VISA is a small part of living in Thailand. 

Sooner or later, some Thai bigshot is going to figure out he can get wealthy by making health insurance mandatory for expats 

And the price will reflect that.

Expats will never get any relief because in reality, Thai govt does not really want you there. If they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Thai's can come to the USA and own anything. 

Do you have that same opportunity in Thailand?

Why not?

On 4/22/2019 at 4:30 AM, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't go that far but if I do eventually leave the region I doubt I would ever come back even for a holiday. 

Left 6 years ago and never went back.

There are just way to many wonderful places to take a holiday in the world besides Thailand.

Having a ball visiting a lot of the Caribbean Islands

On 4/22/2019 at 4:31 AM, totally thaied up said:

This is the part that worries me. To be 70, have to pay huge premiums and have no real cover for priors. How can someone planning 30 years of life know they can cover this. I doubt that not many put this requirement into their retirement plans and once locked into Thailand, understand later that they made a mistake.

My wife's grandfather is 98 and still working around the farm everyday.

Can you imagine living that long in Thailand and what the eventually costs would be?

I don't think anyone ever things what happens if I live way longer than expected?

On 4/22/2019 at 4:32 AM, marcusarelus said:

Lets take a dispassionate look at the situation.  The crash of the Pound vs the Baht 3 years ago was the major reason for expats leaving. 

Lately the 4 large embassies who wanted to work less really messed up their citizens who were lying on their extension applications. 

The seasoning of deposits for an extra few months has effected almost no one and is easily avoided by getting a 2 year visa at home or changing to an income method. 

Why all the negative threads?  I can only guess at the motive. 

Fail to see where you mention the exorbitant price of health insurance which others have posted about?

And as no one is a mind reader, how do you know which rules and regulations the Thai govt will mandate against expats now, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc.

You don't. 

There are a lot of expats who probably cannot even afford a trip back to their country to get a visa, let alone do that every 2 years for a variety of reasons.

In it's current state, political flux, etc., Thailand is not a guaranteed bet that things for expats won't change for the worse.

A person would have to have their head in the sand to believe Thailand is still a utopia for expats.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:36 AM, BritManToo said:

Thailand is a nasty vicious dangerous country for white folk, I wouldn't even recommend it for a two week holiday. 

The neighbouring countries are almost all more welcoming and safer these days.

If it weren't for my house and son, I wouldn't be here either.

There is a lot of truth in that most will never admit.

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

VISA is a small part of living in Thailand. 

Sooner or later, some Thai bigshot is going to figure out he can get wealthy by making health insurance mandatory for expats 

And the price will reflect that.

Expats will never get any relief because in reality, Thai govt does not really want you there. If they did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Thai's can come to the USA and own anything. 

Do you have that same opportunity in Thailand?

Why not?

not if the U.S. medicare gets in first.  this could be a game changer and a great relief to the American taxpayer.  ideas are being floated for 2020

Been here since 2004.

Have currently a retirement extension of stay buy will change it to marriage visa. I am okay with 400k on a fixed account but 800k is too much.

Yes I would recommend retiring here if as mentioned before, you finances are in order. Being married to a good Thai woman give me a somewhat biased opinion, see many lonely looking retirees. So if you have strong family bonds with your loved ones back home, maybe not a good idea living here full time but better just come here on long holidays.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:37 AM, beachproperty said:

Not sure how in touch with reality you are ......but I recently had a stroke and spent only 3 days in ICU and 3 days in a private room...cost=73,000 Baht AND that was at Bangkok Hospital

When a lot of expats are trying to survive on 30k a month, 73,000 for one bill is a lot of money.

How much is your insurance premium per month?

7 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Fail to see where you mention the exorbitant price of health insurance which others have posted about?

And as no one is a mind reader, how do you know which rules and regulations the Thai govt will mandate against expats now, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc.

You don't. 

There are a lot of expats who probably cannot even afford a trip back to their country to get a visa, let alone do that every 2 years for a variety of reasons.

In it's current state, political flux, etc., Thailand is not a guaranteed bet that things for expats won't change for the worse.

A person would have to have their head in the sand to believe Thailand is still a utopia for expats.

or put money in a Thai bank.  i was told that they would not issue me a credit card after the fact.  just a debit card.  i have several on American banks with very high limits.  where is the trust.  but i have an excellent credit history back home.  not here.  just Farang.

7 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

When a lot of expats are trying to survive on 30k a month, 73,000 for one bill is a lot of money.

How much is your insurance premium per month?

America should step up to the plate and offer Medicare reimbursement to the excellent hospital here. we are talking 20cents on the dollar.  win win. health care big issue in America now.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:17 AM, Kasane said:

There are no visa changes. Only stricter implementation of the current laws. Farangs who were falsifying their income through affidavits from their Embassies are finding it difficult to extend their stay. If retirees have the required income and/or bank balance then Thailand is a great place to live. 

Cost to build home 1/3 to what it cost me in States. Medical bills are minimal, whereas I was always in fear of going bankrupt due to medical emergency in the States, even though on Medicare. Water bill per month is $1. Electric bill is $20/mo. Can eat reasonably well in under $10/day. Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence. Can tend to my farm, grow what I want, and eat organic. Have escaped my loneliness in States. Found warm companionship. 

Cost to build home 1/3 to what it cost me in States.

Yes and look exactly what you got?

Any building inspectors that is was built to code? Any licensed plumbers or electricians? 

Thai construction is a joke

I wrote an e-book with photos that followed the daily construction of a Thai house in a gate Moo Ban in the 3 to 4 million baht range.

Absolutely shocking how they build houses in Thailand.

I don't care if they house is 1/100th of cost. You get what you paid for.

Where in the world would they let you get away with building the outer walls with 1/8" brick, rastered over in poor quality cement?

How about building a house right on top of the ground with no foundation footers?

Any insulation? How about all the hot air trapped in the roof of the house?

36 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You are fine until Thailand levies a health insurance requirement for a visa extension that many will be unable to afford.

People that think they are fine living in a third world country with a sketchy govt are always teeting on the edge of something bad.

One rule change could do a lot of expats in for good.

You sounds like a poor loser my friend......

glegolo

On 4/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, Thaidream said:

Sorry- must disagree= I am complaining and I never lied on my Embassy Letter and I have both the income and the funds to put in the bank.  However, I have no intention in bringing a lump sum of money to a Thai bank- especially when I have purchased a house with land; several cars and a Condo which is a heavy investment into the Thai economy.  In addition- I support my Thai step daughter fully as well as parents.

I'm not looking for any thank you but I would not mind if Thailand treated me the same as when my wife emigrated to the US and got her residence permit which lasts forever.  I would be happy to be judged on $24,000 per year income as the US does for married Visas as long as all assets are included as the Us does.  Then I would be happy to have my lifetime Visa with all the rights of a Thai citizen to include medical just as my wife has in the US.

Instead, even though I came to Thailand 50 years ago- I am treated as a casual visitor- having to jump through the Immigration circus each year.  How about reciprocity?

How about unmarried retirees being able to use the value of their Thai purchased assets against the bank or income requirement. How about allowing retirees permanent residency?

How about our Embassies actually sit down with Immigration and explain that they will ask to see supporting documentation proving the income represented and that the applicant swears under Oath to it which makes lying a US Federal crime.  Every other Embassy in Thailand- except 4- has no problem issuing these letters for their citizens.  Thai Immigration accepts them and there is no indication they will not. If Thai Immigration suspects the applicant has lied- they can ask him to provide documentation or refer the matter back to the Embassy.  The US Embassy actually has an FBI office in Bangkok .

If the 4 Embassies really wanted to help their citizens they would have worked out an equitable solution rather than refusing to negotiate a settlement that worked for all.

"How about reciprocity"

You hit the nail on the head.

I am amazed how many Thai's live in Florida, USA, own their own homes, restaurants, businesses. etc and in Thailand we get nothing.

Archived