Algerian man arrested over pickpocketing of foreign tourists in Pattaya

webfact

Algerian man arrested over pickpocketing of foreign tourists in Pattaya

By The Nation

c738fbe07774ca6637a630372da1fb52.jpeg

An Algerian man has been arrested in Pattaya for allegedly pickpocketing two Korean tourists and a Chinese tourist in the seaside city late last month.

Pattaya police chief Pol Colonel Prawit Chorseng held a press conference on Monday to announce the arrest of Toufik Melki, 50, over the weekend.

Prawit said a tourist from South Korea has accused Melki of approaching him on Soi Bua Kao in Central Pattaya on March 28 and stealing 400,000 won (about Bt13,000) from him. The tourist said Melki pretended to know him, wrapped his arm around his shoulder while talking to him amicably – and stole his wallet.

A few days later, a Chinese tourist and a South Korean tourist filed complaints with the police station that they had been pickpocketed by a man matching Melki’s description, with wallets containing about Bt50,000 in cash stolen.

Prawit said police checked security-camera footage and learned Melki’s identity. He was spotted walking on Pattaya II road, apparently looking for new victims, police said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368120

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-22

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Thailand gets more lenient for certain country nationals to get tourist visas ( such as from developing countries or Arab countries) you will see more of this petty crime. —Sorry, I do not want to sound judgmental but I have lived in some of these countries and know their warped value system. (They’ll take advantage of anything.)

4 minutes ago, toenail said:

When Thailand gets more lenient for certain country nationals to get tourist visas ( such as from developing countries or Arab countries) you will see more of this petty crime. —Sorry, I do not want to sound judgmental but I have lived in some of these countries and know their warped value system. (They’ll take advantage of anything.)

Never apologize for the truth.  

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Is he only 50? He looks like 70...

11 policemen to arrest one old pickpocket?? ????

How many Royal Thai Police officers does it take to change a lightbulb?

As many as can fit into a selfie portrait afterwards.

46 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

How many Royal Thai Police officers does it take to change a lightbulb?

As many as can fit into a selfie portrait afterwards.

"Prawit said police checked security-camera footage and learned Melki’s identity. He was spotted walking on Pattaya II road, apparently looking for new victims, police said."

Give it a break.  A team of only one out of uniform officer would not be all that quick or effective in finding him would it.

To this day I am simply amazed at the amount of mobile phones I see sticking more than half way out of back pockets ( particularly the ladies). Back home in Europe they would be "gone" in the blink of an eye.

12 hours ago, OneZero said:

"Prawit said police checked security-camera footage and learned Melki’s identity. He was spotted walking on Pattaya II road, apparently looking for new victims, police said."

Give it a break.  A team of only one out of uniform officer would not be all that quick or effective in finding him would it.

Quite right. Of course.

Seeing as lots of people in Pattaya—especially police offices—look kinda dodgy, it would require lots of officers to rule each other out before honing in on the real suspects.

Archived