What is Thailand like do go to for a holiday?

Elali

Hi Peeps.
My partner and I were thinking about going on holiday to Thailand, and just wondered what it is like their as a tourist? we were thinking of going to Bangkok and Phuket. I have some questions that if anyone could answer would be great
Whats the wether like in May?
I heard its cheap out there (to eat and drink) is that still the case?
Thanks

Holiday at home this year, it'll be cheaper, you won't be scammed, immigration won't be on your tail, you can go off the beaten track confident that you won't be murdered, raped, fall down a waterfall or off a highwire to your death, be attacked with a sword by an irate taxi driver or choke on astronomical PM 2.5 particle levels; in short, you have a much better chance of returning home alive.

Go to Chiang Mai Chiabd Rai. Far more culture and fewer tourists. But do dtoo a day or 2 in Bangkok to experience the traffic. Will make your day... As in you will spend most of your day in a taxi trying to get anywhere!

Lots of negative comments posted.....

I think it's ok to holiday here. Just got to be a little streetwise and do some research before you come.

Lots to see in Bangkok, and I believe Phuket is pretty lively too.

I don't think pricing even in the places you mentioned is up to US or European prices, unless you eat in 5 star restaurants and hotels. Exchange rate has an impact but you'll know what to expect when you book.

Do get good holiday insurance though, and check the exclusions.

hope you come and enjoy the Land of Smiles, and all it has to offer.

Thailand is the best country in the world for a holiday. Great weather, not expensive, lovely people, delicious food.  

It is so good I moved here permanently.

Life is a holiday now. It’s awesome.

A lot of the negative comments will be from people who have married a lady of the night and unsurprisingly it hasn’t worked out for them. 

Don’t listen to them.

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

If you like long immigration lines, expensive taxis, overpriced hotels and tours, deadly roads, daily scams, and ladyboys you will have a great time. If not, you won't be returning. 

Sounds like Sydney lol.

39 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Holiday at home this year, it'll be cheaper, you won't be scammed,

How were were you scammed?

immigration won't be on your tail,

For a holiday?

you can go off the beaten track confident that you won't be murdered,

How is many of your friends have been murdered here

raped,

Happen often to you?

fall down a waterfall or off a highwire to your death, be attacked with a sword by an irate taxi driver

Ok

or choke on astronomical PM 2.5 particle levels;

Phuket’s air is clean

in short, you have a much better chance of returning home alive.

Some people live a life of paranoia. Or just like carrying on.

Dear Elali,

What do you wish from your holiday?  Thailand is OK but a long way from NJ.

Brazil might be closer. Recife? Salvador?

But if you think it sound exotic sure it will be find for a holiday. Pack half as many clothes as you think you will need and bring twice as much money as you think you will need. (This for any vacation)

54 minutes ago, inThailand said:

The reality is the locals can spot a newbie a km away, so you will be targeted as a source of easy and good money. They leave us expats alone. 

I'd call that a classic post.    Completely bogus but a classic nonetheless.

20 hours ago, Elali said:

I

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

If you like long immigration lines, expensive taxis, overpriced hotels and tours, deadly roads, daily scams, and ladyboys you will have a great time. If not, you won't be returning. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

A lot of the negative comments will be from people who have married a lady of the night and unsurprisingly it hasn’t worked out for them. 

Don’t listen to them.

Yes, there are quite a few bitter old dears confined to their bed sits, who find themselves to be unable to cope financially or socially and, of course, they won't own their problems. Thailand and Thais must be to blame.

Thai Visa is the undisputed hub of whiner and lost souls.

I have friends who come over to visit - they have a great time- especially if they have not been to SE Asia before - it’s all a bit weird and they love the markets etc etc .

For what it’s worth- Bangkok yes - do a massive amount of research- there are some wonderful bits of Bangkok just a bit away from the tourist trails. 

Sadly places such as the Grand Palace have now become a nightmare with the Chinese tours etc. 

Do NOT go to Phuket - advertised as a tropical island ( a tiny bridge) the most expensive, overrated, built up ( traffic is a nightmare) even the supposedly hidden beaches are stuffed full of people. It’s horrible.

if you want to see Thailand - North East - Loei is stunning- not so many tourists , very friendly locals - relaxing . 

Good luck with your travels 

Thailand is a great place to go on holiday.

Obviously it depends on your budget, but I have always found great hotels, great food, nice people.

Some people on here will point out the negative, but that says more about them than Thailand. You can go to any major city in the world and find the “grotty” side of life, if you are that way inclined.

As to crime and safety, I feel safer here than I do walking round some parts of London, knife crime central!

When you are here as a tourist, there is loads to see and loads to do. When you are in Bangkok I would definitely take an organised tour that includes a long tail boat ride to the floating market. Yes, they will take you to some tourist traps, like a pearl factory, or furniture place, or even a jewellery place, but these are interesting in their own right and you don’t have to buy anything unless you want to.

I have only been to Phuket once for a 7 day holiday, we hired a car and had a great time, there are some lovely beaches there, our favourite was Sunset Beach, if you go at sunset you will see why.

Both Bangkok and Phuket are great places, do some research first about things you want to do and see. You will be able to book tours through the concierge in most hotels. Don’t forget though you are in a foreign country so be aware and sensible, but that is the same if you go anywhere away from home.

Also as someone has already pointed out make sure that you buy first class travel (medical) insurance, just in case you have an accident or fall ill. Medical care here is first class but it has to be paid for, travel insurance is cheap (even the best), the peace of mind it gives you is priceless.

Above all, when you get here, relax, enjoy, have a great time.

Hi Arnold, 

Cheap for one person is expensive for other. 

Where are you from? How much air ticket will cost you?

What do you like to eat and dink? 

Forget BKK, Phuket and so celled tourists towns, there is nothing special. Unless you like_ Hot, Stinky, and Overpriced places 

Friends took me to Trat and I had best. clan, fresh sea food in Thailand 

If you are in North America go to Cuba,  You will have The best and cheap, Mojito, cohiba and sea food of soGOOOD

Many good places in South America 

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Thailand is the best country in the world for a holiday. Great weather, not expensive, lovely people, delicious food.  

It is so good I moved here permanently.

Life is a holiday now. It’s awesome.

Don’t listen to them.

I would agree with you, but be aware when dealing with Thai Immigration, that different Immigration offices, and even different officers in the same office all have their own interpretation of all the different rules.

24 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Late May Phuket can rain everyday. Apart from the constant rip offs from the moment you alight the plane....far mor bang for your bucks in PI, Cambodia or Vietnam, and I would say a far more pleasurable holiday.

I live in Thailand, went on holiday in Phnom Penh and Saigon earlier this month.

PP and HCMC are waaaaay cheaper than Bangkok.

My (rathole) room in HCMC was $10/night right on September park, Day trip on the Mekong $12 (including lunch).

My 4* room in PP was $30/night right on the river with a rooftop swimming pool (including breakfasts)

Thailand isn't that cheap any more, and the surrounding countries are a lot of fun.

HCMC.jpg

Archived