Finance Ministry to boost tourism with Bt1,500 payment to domestic travellers

webfact

Finance Ministry to boost tourism with Bt1,500 payment to domestic travellers

By The Nation

bizd_joy_050218_vcash_joylmy.jpg

FILE photo

The Finance Ministry had announced plans to launch a new stimulus package to boost the country’s domestic tourism business by giving Thais Bt1,500 per person to spend when they travel to 55 provinces under the promotion campaign, a source from the Finance Ministry said.

Under the campaign, Thais aged 18 and over can register for the programme. The government will then deposit Bt1,500 into their accounts though the e-payment system. They can use the funds to make e-payments to the shops that have joined the project. 

“We are collaborating with the Tourism and Sport Ministry and Krung Thai Bank for the campaign and have set a budget of up to Bt15 billion.

We will now propose the programme to deputy prime minister Somkid Jatusripitak to consider and to the cabinet as soon as possible. We aim to launch the campaign before July this year,” a source from the Finance Ministry said.

The ministry expects up to 10 million Thais to register, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368109

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-22

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

If there is free money, I think they will get 60 million Thai's to register. Kinda like reverse graft!

So if I live in Bangkok I can spend this e-payment in Bangkok right? 

That is not driving domestic tourism, that is just a free night out or help with my weekly shop. 

I am glad to see through that the government is so flush with cash that is able to give $50 handouts to 10 million people. I mean we will over look the fact the roads are a mess, government hospitals are at financial breaking point (all due to foreigners not paying their bills apparently), schools and jails are over crowded and some are in dire need of repair and investment, the price of rubber, pineapples etc has reached rock bottom and and the household debt to GDP is at about 70%. 

As I said nice to see the government is flush with cash and using it wisely. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

when they travel to 55 provinces

Shouldn't this read: "when they travel to any of the 55 "second-tier" tourism provinces

The 55 provinces are:

• in the North: Chiang Rai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai , Tak, and Uttaradit;

• in the Northeast: Amnat Charoen, Bung Kan, Buri Ram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Phetchabun, Prachinburi, Roi Et, Sa Kaeo, Sakon Nakhon, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, and Yasothon;

• in the Central Plain: Ang Thong, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Sawan, Samut Songkhram, Sing Buri, Suphan Buri, and Uthai Thani;

• in the East: Chanthaburi and Trat;

• in the West: Ratchaburi;

• in the South: Chumphon, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Pattani, Phatthalung, Ranong, Satun, Trang and Yala.

in a deep depression you get helicopter money being handed out to the masses, we all know how they lie on the economic figures, or per rumours today about some parties readying for a new election, which would mean another round of gifts for votes

Every Thai to get Bt1,500 as govt tries to boost domestic tourism

By The Nation

71ad6b3aeecd97cc322b534e5ed11071.jpeg

The Finance Ministry is launching a new stimulus package to boost the country’s domestic tourism by giving Thais Bt1,500 per person to spend when they travel to 55 provinces under a promotion campaign, a source from the ministry said.

Under the campaign, Thais aged 18 and over can register for the programme. The government will then deposit Bt1,500 into their accounts through the e-payment system. They can use the funds to make e-payments to the shops that have joined the project.

“We are collaborating with the Tourism and Sport Ministry and Krung Thai Bank for the campaign and have set a budget of up to Bt15 billion. We will now propose the programme to Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak to consider and to the Cabinet as soon as possible. We aim to launch the campaign before July this year,” a source from the Finance Ministry said.

Anusorn Tamajai, dean of Rangsit University’s Economics Faculty, said he agreed with the government’s plan to boost the economy.

The drought has severely affected the welfare of people living in rural areas, he said.

Moreover, the overall economy was also adversely affected by the contraction in exports.

Exports in March dropped 4.88 per cent year on year and exports in the first three months of this year were down 1.64 per cent due to the global slowdown and impact from the trade tensions between the United States and China.

The Finance Ministry was worried that economic growth would weaken to 3 per cent in the first and second quarters.

Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong had said previously that the government would inject about Bt20 billion into the economy and offer incentives to boost domestic tourism and extra cash to low-income earners who hold state welfare cards.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368159

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23

Could the downturn in tourism be because of the lack of convidence? Thailands world status? Thai mind set attitudes? They should look more closely at whats happening on the streets, instead of living a fantasy 'Alice in Wonderland', the way inwhich foreigners are persistantly cheated and treated... 

I'm confused - we already had the election - right

when Thailand starts throwing money around like this I start to get worried - might be time to cash your account for a while, there is something not quite right going on

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The Finance Ministry to boost tourism, BS only thing that will increase by them giving that money, is lao kao sales.

Whoa! Can you buy alcohol from the shops in the e-payment system?

I must get my wife to register, stay a night in the next province and claim!

Government-sponsored alcoholism - a world first!

Where do these ministers get their ideas from. Never heard something so stuppid from a government. 

Government ministers and persons in high positions in Government should have high education certificates, and NOT FORGED ONES. To  be elected. 

Before all your lot gets excited, OP clearly states this money can ONLY be used to pay via e system to and with shops that register for this e system. 

So not only government can see where money went but will also get the tax from the registered businesses 

19 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If there is free money, I think they will get 60 million Thai's to register. Kinda like reverse graft!

Just before the final, probably, announcement of the election, recounts final recounts recount is forthcoming to sweeten the return of the Junta! ????????????

4 hours ago, shaurene said:

Where do these ministers get their ideas from. Never heard something so stuppid from a government. 

Government ministers and persons in high positions in Government should have high education certificates, and NOT FORGED ONES. To  be elected. 

You are forgetting where you are; in Thailand it's who you know and not what you know that gets you a high position !

We live in Phetchabun province near the border with Phitsanulok. Hopefully the wife can get the money to go shopping in Phitsanulok instead of Phetchabun.

Or better still, if we return from holidays in Samui, does that count as traveling to Phetchabun.

Archived