POLL ~ Its hot outside. What temperature do you set your aircon to escape it?

Thainesss

What temperature do you set your air-conditioning  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally don't bother in the living area as it has no walls, just a fan (OK 4 fans).

Bedroom, 26C when we go to bed in case hot activities are on the cards, 29C when ready for sleep.

4 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

What did you set your thermostat at in your home country?

22C but we were poor then and couldn't afford the gas, heat was off at 10PM, snuggle up under the duvet, 5 kids later ... . 

I've also been in the tropics / far east for nigh on 30 years, become somewhat acclimatized.

We just had the grandkids over from the UK for 3 weeks, two bedroom A/Cs churning away all night set to 16C = an extra 2 grand on the power bill ????

28 - 29 C. It's more important for the aircon to extract the humidity, so sweating can achieve what it is supposed to do. I can remember in Perth, WA one could be comfortable at 35C because the relative humidity was only 10%.

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

cant see the point of setting it to 28-29 in the bedroom, probably same temp as outside by 2am

Yeah, mostly down to just running the fan by then, outdoor unit is kicking in occasionally but the movement of air is important to comfort. Static air at that temperature is stifling.

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, mostly down to just running the fan by then, outdoor unit is kicking in occasionally but the movement of air is important to comfort. Static air at that temperature is stifling.

No idea why ceiling fans are so unpopular in thailand. Ive got one in every room and they circulate the air fiercely. Blows the doors off of any regular fan. 

4 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

No idea why ceiling fans are so unpopular in thailand. Ive got one in every room and they circulate the air fiercely. Blows the doors off of any regular fan. 

I've got one above me now but still need a floor fan to blow the ac in my office from the living room.  The ceiling fan just doesn't suck the cool air in. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

cant see the point of setting it to 28-29 in the bedroom, probably same temp as outside by 2am

Yes it is; however, the comfort comes from the lower humidity inside compared to outside. The power is not expensive because the compressor will only kick in occasionally.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Generally don't bother in the living area as it has no walls, just a fan (OK 4 fans).

Bedroom, 26C when we go to bed in case hot activities are on the cards, 29C when ready for sleep.

Please elaborate. The voyeurs are all agog.

20 hours ago, Thainesss said:

I have reversible ceiling fans in every room and use them constantly. They are WAY better then floor fans and far more quiet. I use the AC minimally, I prefer fans over AC and a nice 100% cotton sheet. 

As for Thais and ceiling fans, my wife told me that the reason Thais do not use ceiling fans is they are afraid they will fall and cut and kill them. No kidding! I couldn't stop laughing. My FIL has one in his room as we had all the rooms installed with them, he has never turned it on. 

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes it is; however, the comfort comes from the lower humidity inside compared to outside. The power is not expensive because the compressor will only kick in occasionally.

Yep, That's the true advantage of the AC, Its called "Air Conditioning" for a reason and why I use them, it stabilizes the air. If you want to be cold, get a swamp cooler. 

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

UK use to have ice forming on the inside of window until I got older and bought a new house.

"When I were a lad"  (Victorian era house) we only had paraffin space heaters..but a gas fired water heater,  then in the early 1980s  we moved to a "new" house that still had a coal bunker,someone had to get up early and make a fire  in the living room fireplace which would heat water in an large copper storage heater adjacent to the fire place..it wasn't much fun the first few winters.

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

they are afraid they will fall and cut and kill them

I can understand that fear..given some of the very shoddy workmanship..

also ceiling fans are harder to clean..( yeah just don't clean them or get someone else to do it)

+ I found ceiling fans to be much noisier than a pedestal fan.

15 minutes ago, johng said:

I can understand that fear..given some of the very shoddy workmanship..

also ceiling fans are harder to clean..( yeah just don't clean them or get someone else to do it)

+ I found ceiling fans to be much noisier than a pedestal fan.

I can agree with the workmanship concern. I installed my own and the 3 others was present and assisted with the install. For me, I have no worries just like I did not worry in the states.

As for cleaning, Its the same as any fan, just wipe the blades. The pedestal fan is quicker for sure but I find them to be much louder, especially on high and the small blades move far less air. All our ceiling fans are 52" and 55". They move a lot of air on a much lower speed. Plus I have to say I hate hearing people drag around pedestal fans all the time. 

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Can't speak for other people's houses but the structure of my house gets up to about 35c in this weather. It may well be 28c outside in the early hours but the bedroom is still well above that temperature.

22 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Never used aircon its addictive and unhealthy, grow some and blend in.

Good for you.

When it is really hot I just order my Burmese servant to move the banana leaves up and down 4 times a minute rather than the normal 3.  Had to give him a good thrashing yesterday though for dripping his sweat on the floor.  Would dock his money for that but he is on a performance contract so never any need to pay him ????

28 minutes ago, johng said:

"When I were a lad"  (Victorian era house) we only had paraffin space heaters..but a gas fired water heater,  then in the early 1980s  we moved to a "new" house that still had a coal bunker,someone had to get up early and make a fire  in the living room fireplace which would heat water in an large copper storage heater adjacent to the fire place..it wasn't much fun the first few winters.

Yeah remember coal bunkers, the paraffin heaters and don't forget the " Ascot ".

We had anthracite briquette for the 24/7 stove that heated the water tank and radiators.

Still needed logs and coal for the fireplaces in other rooms. 

Full Long Johns,  sheepskin slippers and loads of blankets.   

Archived