POLL ~ Its hot outside. What temperature do you set your aircon to escape it?

Thainesss

What temperature do you set your air-conditioning  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Currently set at  28 with  outside  night temp  never less  than 30. It is  not  the temp that  matters so much to me  but the  reduction in the humidity is.

At least someone knows ! Congrats !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Liverpudlian said:

Never used aircon its addictive and unhealthy, grow some and blend in.

Of course you haven't. You turn it off when in a car/taxi and you never shop at air conditioned shopping malls.

Is it better to leave the aircon on (whatever temperature setting) and turn it off every half hour or so, then turn aircon back on when the heat builds up - or just leave aircon on?

Basically the compressor would be working harder while on, but wouldn’t be on as long. But with it permanently on - the compressor may not be working as hard.

3 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Is it better to leave the aircon on (whatever temperature setting) and turn it off every half hour or so, then turn aircon back on when the heat builds up - or just leave aircon on?

Um, its better to leave it on and set the temp at whatever you find comfortable. 

26 - 27 in the bedroom during the night in hot season.  Not turned on at all in the CM cool season and most of the rainy season. 

Living areas have no air con only fans.  Designed the house with good insulating materials and good air flow through the living areas so it is always nice and cool.  Also big overhands and shading sticking out from the roof to stop direct sunlight streaming into the house for long periods.  

For me, setting air conditioners too cool is a waste of money as they cant really reach the very low temperatures (at least for any length of time) and the motor will keep running.. using up your money and the lifetime of the air con unit itself from constant working.

Also too low and your body will feel the heat more when you leave the room or go outside.  I think its better to acclimatise yourself to the average temperatures here.... makes life much easier in the long run not to be too bothered by the heat all the time.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Part of the fun of being a kid was drawing in the frost on the inside of your bedroom windows in the winter.

Whilst living as a child with my parents, we always had central heating - which is probably why it came as a shock when I moved out, and into a rented home with no CH ????!

Similarly I was very grateful for aircon when I first moved to Thailand - and I used to set it to 24C during the night!

Nowadays, I use aircon rarely - but am very grateful for it when it's unbearably hot.

15 hours ago, malibukid said:

25-26 around the clock, even when i am not end.  the cat digs it.

Know what you mean.  Even though on the rare times I use aircon I set it on 28, I've noticed that my dogs rush to go to bed (during these hot periods when they know I'm using aircon), and are reluctant to leave the bedroom when I get up!

15 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whilst living as a child with my parents, we always had central heating - which is probably why it came as a shock when I moved out, and into a rented home with no CH ????!

Similarly I was very grateful for aircon when I first moved to Thailand - and I used to set it to 24C during the night!

Nowadays, I use aircon rarely - but am very grateful for it when it's unbearably hot.

Never lived in a house with CH until I was 18.

Have upgraded my air con 3 times in the last few years. Usually have bedroom aircon set at 25, fan speed 1. Currently set at 24, fan speed 2.

28 - 29 C. It's more important for the aircon to extract the humidity, so sweating can achieve what it is supposed to do. I can remember in Perth, WA one could be comfortable at 35C because the relative humidity was only 10%.

That won't happen because if you set it to 29 the room will be at a very high level of humidity, the opposite of what you want, because the compressor will be off a lot of the time and there will just be air blowing through the evaporator coils bringing a lot of moisture into the room. The humidity will decrease significantly if a compressor is on more which means the temperature must be lower. The alternative is to use the dry setting which switches off the fan when the compressor switches off. The water vapour isn't blown back into the room. I use that setting in the rainy season when the outside temperature is lower which means the compressor is off a lot of the time, because it doesn't have to work so hard to reach the room temperature. When the compressor is on blowing cold air you are never going to have high humidity. On the dry setting you can't control the temperature because it's all determined by the dew point so it tends to be around 22 to 23 degrees but with a very dehumidified air. It's very easy to see how this works if you buy yourself a little electronic hygrometer. you'll be amazed looking at how the humidity readings fluctuate depending on whether the compressor is on or off.

13 hours ago, Nemises said:

Of course you haven't. You turn it off when in a car/taxi and you never shop at air conditioned shopping malls.

True. I switch it off when I can and I avoid ACed shopping malls, actually I avoid shopping malls anyway. 

Its 5:45 AM and ive just turned my living room one on at 24C with my ceiling fan on high. 

Its 31C in the room and 82% humidity. Between the humidity and the mosquitoes it was getting pretty uncomfortable. 

Feels nice and fresh now. 

Archived