Is Someone Pulling a Fast One?

Formaleins

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I removed my girl's fiberglass cast myself with a pair of tin snips.  Not because I was worried about the cost.  But because both her and I where sick of waiting all day in the massive cue at the government hospital.

It was about pins and screws, not the girlish cast. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Had to have both my ankles subtalar fused at the same time. Required rods and screws. Had it done at a military hospital, costs same as at a government hospital. I had to purchase the metalwork in advance privately which were then delivered to said hospital prior to the op. In and out in 3 days. Cheap as chips. Don't use a private hospital.

slipped on the kitchen floor, broke my leg and had orthopedic surgery at a military hosp...3 nights in a private room and titanium hardware included (a plate and screws) thb22k, surgeon's fees, epidural, etc all in...post op out patient exams, radiography and lab work extra...

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If they plastered his arm, they considered it 'job done'.

Never heard of any hospital in the world plastering a break after an initial consultation.

In Thailand alone i can tell you about 700 hospitals who - depending on the circumstances - might proceed like this,  namely most district hospitals. There is usually no orthopedic surgeon present,  but they have to immobilize the fracture somehow. 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, the private hospitals here like to pile on unnecessary operations to pad your (insurance) bill.

When I were younger (in the UK) they didn't have metal plates and everyone recovered fully from broken bones.

Unfortunately,  many people did not recover fully.

It was common to see cripples in daily life, some of them were the results of fractures that did not heal well. 

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

There is a German orthopedic surgeon in Phuket who is excellent. Maybe you could get a second opinion from him. Just do a search for German surgeon Phuket.....all the Germans know him.

His name is Dr Melcher. But OP is in CM.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:06 PM, Formaleins said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get it "fixed" properly (pins/screws etc.) at a later date - say for instance when the cast comes off and it turns out to be a problem using my hand? could they do the full repair then or is it done with once it has healed?

It would be a whole different operation later as the fractures would have begun to  knit together and need to be rebroken. Get it done now.

12 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Wow that seems a lot, I had a liver biopsy in the UK, local anasthetic, machine is like a needle etc, job done, 3 hours checking for blood loss, BP etc and then allowed home, no problems at all.

It seems you had the VIP service (along with the customary Thai Bill).

I paid for it privately and was chsrge £450 last month.

(CT and MRI twice, once before and then afterwards).

You are comparing apples with oranges

On 4/22/2019 at 11:42 PM, Formaleins said:

Agreed 100%! I often find myself pleasantly surprised with the quality and helpfulness of some of the advice from many of the posters on here. Some very good points both ways which makes things a bit more difficult for choice, food for thought, I will think this over, but I am probably going to give the metal work a wide berth. Thanks for all of the replies, very interesting.

Go see the Experts,not rely on TV opinions, only an orthodox who has seen the xrays can offer the correct options.

There are risks involved in all procedures

See a qualified opinion from a trained person

When I broke my collarbone as a kid I did not get an operation right away. They had to saw apart the healing bone to set it properly. Your situation is different but, if it does not heal perfectly, it might have to be "broken" again to realign the bones. If it does heal perfectly then you don't need the operation.

My personal opinion would be to get the operation now. Even if you are old if it doesn't heal properly and you are therefore in constant pain is it worth saving some bucks. Up to you. Don't get hooked on opiods though.

In Thailand alone i can tell you about 700 hospitals who - depending on the circumstances - might proceed like this,  namely most district hospitals. There is usually no orthopedic surgeon present,  but they have to immobilize the fracture somehow. 

Exactly. And what was applied was a "soft cast" not plaster.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If they plastered his arm, they considered it 'job done'.

Never heard of any hospital in the world plastering a break after an initial consultation.

They didn't "plaster" the break, but put on a soft cast to immobilize the break.  Often they want to wait a few days for swelling to lessen before doing surgery.  

I have a friend in a very similar situation who decided to forego having her wrist properly set and save 30,000 baht.  At the time she thought she was very clever -- after all it wasn't her writing hand and she is no spring chicken.  A Brit who is always astonished at how much medical care costs.  Now she regrets it every day.  The wrist twisted in an odd fashion, she can't move her fingers fully and she always seems to be cradling the wrist with her other hand because she says it throbs with a dull pain. 

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Defies belief doesn't it that someone will risk deformity and potentially lifelong pain and discomfort to save around 700 quid ! Mind boggling.

But in context he believed he was being taken advantage of, likely because of everyone saying how cheap government hospital treatment is and not understanding doctor had no reason to recommend more expensive treatment (government surgeon receives very little pay).  I just hope he can become open to a second opinion at least - as he still has a potential lifetime to live with results. 

Just now, lopburi3 said:

But in context he believed he was being taken advantage of, likely because of everyone saying how cheap government hospital treatment is and not understanding doctor had no reason to recommend more expensive treatment (government surgeon receives very little pay).  I just hope he can become open to a second opinion at least - as he still has a potential lifetime to live with results. 

I'd like to see the x-ray.

When to use pins on a wrist break is clearly defined on the web.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like to see the x-ray.

When to use pins on a wrist break is clearly defined on the web.

No,  it is not.

The decision is not always simple and not always straightforward. 

It takes about 10 years of training to become an orthopedic surgeon. 

The web is no substitute for this.

BTW can you interpret an x-ray of the wrist?

Archived