Could one overstay and still get their retirement extension?

Provided they pay the daily overstay fine, of course.

I'm thinking about these reports we're hearing about some offices not knowing about the new two-month rule for seasoning of funds.  

Suppose a retiree went in with his bank statement, properly seasoned for two months at 800K but the immigration officer stubbornly insisted it had to be three months.  Could the retiree go home, overstay his visa by another month and then go back and qualify for the extension?  Or would they refuse the extension and deport the applicant because of the one month of overstay?

Immigration would not do an an extension with a one month overstay. A few days yes but not one month.

If they insisted you would have to right to make a complaint to the 1178 help line. It is clearly written in the police order that it is only 2 months now.

Thanks.  I am in this position (have 2 months of seasoning) but my immigration office is Chaengwatana so I don't see it being a problem since I know they run a tight ship there.  I was just wondering about those unfortunate folks in the outer provinces.

17 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Suppose a retiree went in with his bank statement, properly seasoned for two months at 800K but the immigration officer stubbornly insisted it had to be three months.  Could the retiree go home, overstay his visa by another month and then go back and qualify for the extension?  Or would they refuse the extension and deport the applicant because of the one month of overstay?

I've heard of it being done that late, but I wouldn't risk it. It would be better to leave and re-enter with a new visa.

They would probably tell the person to leave the country asap. They could detain and send them through the court system, but I doubt it. The biggest problem would be getting caught having a beer in a bar whilst on overstay, that would almost certainly result in being prosecuted and deported.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I've heard of it being done that late, but I wouldn't risk it. It would be better to leave and re-enter with a new visa.

Probably cheaper than paying 30 days of overstay fines, too.

• Like 1

They could possibly give you an extension for the required time to finish the seasoning.

My first time doing the extension I had the money in a joint account.  They gave me a 60 day extension so I could put the money in a proper account.  And then I had to come back and do the year extension after that.  They charged the same fee for the 60 day as the year extension.

17 minutes ago, rwill said:

My first time doing the extension I had the money in a joint account.  They gave me a 60 day extension so I could put the money in a proper account. 

That was because you are married to a Thai or the parent of one.

Other people would not qualify for any extension if they could not qualify for the one year extension.

• Like 1