Explosive story highlights dangers of heatwave

webfact

Explosive story highlights dangers of heatwave

By THE NATION

79d2f6927476f8050b794ee227ae300b.jpeg

WITH hot spells predicted this week, especially in the North where the mercury is expected to reach 43 degrees Celsius, a Thai woman has told a cautionary tale of how her forgetfulness resulted in her mobile phone exploding in her pick-up truck.

“A punishment for a forgetful person, [my pick-up truck] is all damaged (with multiple “crying face” emoticons),” said Facebook user and Samut Prakan resident “Ying Yupa Anan”. 

344281d5992231e81ffba8534f674955.jpeg

Her “feeling sad” post on Saturday was accompanied by photos of her truck with a damaged and burnt windshield – it had received 23,000 “likes”, 23,000 comments and was shared 11,715 times by yesterday.

Mobile phones are among items that people have been warned not to leave in the sun because the heat can damage their electronics and/or cause the battery to explode. 

1dfd8857c5db57216aec140f71d343ca.jpeg

Other items susceptible to damage if exposed to prolonged heat included power banks, especially those with lithium-ion batteries, as well as lighters and aerosol sprays. 

Ying Yupa Anan’s sad post came as the Disease Control Department again issued a warning that seven groups are at most risk of heatstroke. 

They are: children under five, the elderly, people with chronic diseases, obese people, those who lack adequate rest, heavy drinkers plus those working in the sun for long periods. Those people in particular are being advised to stay hydrated and not to be outside in the scorching sun for too long. 

Common symptoms of heatstroke are fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, anxiety, headache, low-blood pressure and fainting. Without timely help, heatstroke can even prove fatal.

d2edf957cb327313b2fdf8b1fa7a1aa6.jpeg

According to the Thai Meteorological Department, a pressure system known as a “thermal low” is covering upper Thailand and is likely to continue to do so for the rest of the week, while southerly and southeasterly winds prevail over the lower North, the Northeast, the Central, the East and the South regions. 

These conditions combined mean that upper Thailand is likely to experience hot to very hot spells with possible outbreaks of “summer storms” – thundershowers with gusty winds, said the Department.

The maximum temperature in the 24 hours from midday yesterday was forecast to be 39-43C in the North, 35-42C in the Northeast, 39-42C in the Central area, 34-40C in the East and 37-40C for Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368161

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23

Yesterday in Khon Kaen we had a hell of a storm with high winds, village roofs blown off the rain got every where, the rain was forced by the winds under the roofs and leaking into the house. The last week or so, it has been 40+ every day. Today looks a bit cooler.

18 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Yesterday in Khon Kaen we had a hell of a storm with high winds, village roofs blown off the rain got every where, the rain was forced by the winds under the roofs and leaking into the house. The last week or so, it has been 40+ every day. Today looks a bit cooler.

Bit cooler this morning in Udon..

Yeah, some people eh? While I'm driving my mobile is in one of zip sections of my small utility bag, placed on the passenger seat but turned towards the seat not the windshield. With the a/c on keeping the whole thing cool. Yet a day or two ago I'm waiting at the traffic lights Sun blaring in a cloudless sky, there is a girl on a m/b talking on her mobile(no helmet, wearing shorts). Just using a mobile generates heat and I thought this girl was lucky that the phone didn't explode...might have taken her ear and side of face with it.

Nakhon Pathom west of Bkk had a quick shower during the night, 02:00 a few bangs of thunder woke me up...

feels a whole lot cooler this morning, mid afternoons have been getting quite sticky this last week.

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

On the news it said there was major damage and some casualties at a local school due to the high winds and rain. 

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

Same in Sisaket. 

It is like clockwork... every day, at 3pm, give or take 2 minutes, we hear the rolling thunder, then come violent gusts of wind... it lasts for about an hour, without one drop of rain... 

The heat, mixed with very high humidity, is unbearable, which is why I just bought one of those small pools... just for my family to survive... 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Yeah, some people eh? While I'm driving my mobile is in one of zip sections of my small utility bag, placed on the passenger seat but turned towards the seat not the windshield. With the a/c on keeping the whole thing cool. Yet a day or two ago I'm waiting at the traffic lights Sun blaring in a cloudless sky, there is a girl on a m/b talking on her mobile(no helmet, wearing shorts). Just using a mobile generates heat and I thought this girl was lucky that the phone didn't explode...might have taken her ear and side of face with it.

Drama Queen.

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

We've had 11 consecutive days of 40+ here in Fang, and the forecast for the rest of the week is for 40+ each day. Thankfully one of my farang friends here has a nice big swimming pool.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

I bought a 'phone holder' from Lazada....AUKEY. A smallish magnetic dubarry which clips into the air vent on the dashboard. A metal strip you attach on the back of the phone is included. The phone is kept cool and in perfect sight of the drive. Bht 260. Great gadget.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

We've had 11 consecutive days of 40+ here in Fang, and the forecast for the rest of the week is for 40+ each day. Thankfully one of my farang friends here has a nice big swimming pool.

So Do I ..But.......................The Water is WARM !!!

1 hour ago, saltire44 said:

No...it's a cunning Chinese plot to sell more airconditioners

Good one, and funny you should say that, after many years of making do with fans, I decided, or the very clever good lady did, it was about time to install a good aircon unit for the bedroom, and help me out with my 'macho' male thing,got it at the end of last year when it was cooler and a reduced deal, probably end of the year sale for the model, no problem, what a fantastic move, oh, it's a Samsung inverter one, near enough area though.

6 hours ago, TKDfella said:

As  long as it didn't spoil her chitter  chat she won't  have a care in the world. Hopefully they can save her ear so she can rinse and repeat.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I bought a 'phone holder' from Lazada....AUKEY. A smallish magnetic dubarry which clips into the air vent on the dashboard. A metal strip you attach on the back of the phone is included. The phone is kept cool and in perfect sight of the drive. Bht 260. Great gadget.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea and contrary to some other forums, do not damage the or interfere with the phone.

Archived