Explosive story highlights dangers of heatwave

webfact

16 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Yeah, some people eh? While I'm driving my mobile is in one of zip sections of my small utility bag, placed on the passenger seat but turned towards the seat not the windshield. With the a/c on keeping the whole thing cool. Yet a day or two ago I'm waiting at the traffic lights Sun blaring in a cloudless sky, there is a girl on a m/b talking on her mobile(no helmet, wearing shorts). Just using a mobile generates heat and I thought this girl was lucky that the phone didn't explode...might have taken her ear and side of face with it.

The reason the one in that pickup exploded is because it was 43*C outsided and likely 70*C+ inside the truck as the sun was shining in and it was all enclosed.

Far cry from just using the phone in 43*C weather.  Much Much different.

What about Dash cams which by  necessity are right in the sun? They have a battery in them too. I think the heat is killing the battery in my very good nextbase model. I had it replaced under warranty when in uk last September but within weeks back here it dies within 30 seconds once main power source is disconnected. I expect it’s much smaller but cause for thought nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I think it’s closer to the 7th planet... ???? 

there's only two planets in the at all ever knowable universe.

????

only 2.

1. the speed of light is a speed limit

2. only large cored terrestrial planets have an atmosphere

but from that reality.... all of both of them.... may be on the same "trajectory"....

oops! it is much much better to pretend to ourselves that Earth is one out of billions and billions of stars and "planets"..... and blessed!!!

in 2019??????

a little Climate humor!  ????????????????????

2 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

there's only two planets in the at all ever knowable universe.

1. the speed of light is a speed limit

2. only large cired terrestrial planets have an atmosphere

both of them on the same "trajectory" if you understand my point.

It sounds like your talking from that 7th planet....

7 hours ago, SilverBeast said:

The reason the one in that pickup exploded is because it was 43*C outsided and likely 70*C+ inside the truck as the sun was shining in and it was all enclosed.

Far cry from just using the phone in 43*C weather.  Much Much different.

While I agree with the former I don't with the latter. I think you will find that most cautions of mobile say not to place in direct sunlight, this includes outside and usually the min/max temperature range is something like 5-35oC. If people don't acknowledge the outside increase while in use (could rise to 50oC in 40-42oC) they probably have no idea about increase in cabin temperature over one hour in parked direct sunlight. I do admit though, my comment about exploding close to her ear was exaggerated but it was inclining to a 'figure of speech' rather than intended accuracy.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:31 AM, hotchilli said:

Nakhon Pathom west of Bkk had a quick shower during the night, 02:00 a few bangs of thunder woke me up...

feels a whole lot cooler this morning, mid afternoons have been getting quite sticky this last week.

It was above Rangsit and Don Muang around 23.00

Temp dropped a little and rised again when Nakhom Pathom got the shower.

I am a meteo follower, with radars and such. And I notice that there is a belt of 'no pass' for rainclouds, from minburi to nonthaburi. 

Many times, when Upper city of Bangkok is in a full shower, here it is dry. And vice versa when Rangsit has her blizzard, no leaves are harmed in Lak Si.

I don't know why, there is no big river or anything thermal here, does anyone know?

The same fenomen I know happen back in my country, between two big rivers thunderclouds hardly pass or just stay between these rivers. Simply by the thermal convection from the rivers.

Anyway the rain you got in Nakhom Pathom is from the Kao Yai mountains, fresh ????

Archived