Starbucks introduces reusable cup to reduce waste

webfact

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

The only problem with bringing a reusable cup to help with environmental waste is they use a disposable cup to measure out the amount to then pour into your stainless steel travel mug. I shake my head.

Something for which you'd be damn near crucified for in a city like Seattle, Portland, or SF.

On the one hand, it has me shaking my head like you, in the other... It's nice to be away from that sort of overwrought busybody bullcrap.

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If only they introduced coffee to their cup of milk ????

Yes, they could reduce waste significantly by closing down all their outlets across the world and leave it to others to sell decent coffee and not the over-priced dishwater they sell.

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

How easily does the cup fit in a pocket, as you will have to carry it around until coffee time?

How badly does properly washing the cup 15 times with hot water and soap affect the environment?

Why not instead make sure the cups served can and will be recycled?  I bet that would be more friendly to the environment.

You seriously want to bet on recycling a cup being more eco friendly than washing it?

Also, very hot liquid in plastic over time sounds potentially unhealthy, given Thai companies' propensity to cut corners in manufacturing and safety certification.  Yes, even supposedly "safe" plastic.  Add to that the time it may spend in the sun in your car/bike.  Can get just a tad bit toasty in there unattended, no?  

Stainless steel insulated drink bottle.  Done.  Also keeps hot and cold coffee drinks at an enjoyable temperature for waaaay longer. 

The emperor has no new clothes, just new PR.

31 minutes ago, ramr said:

Also, very hot liquid in plastic over time sounds potentially unhealthy, given Thai companies' propensity to cut corners in manufacturing and safety certification.  Yes, even supposedly "safe" plastic.  Add to that the time it may spend in the sun in your car/bike.  Can get just a tad bit toasty in there unattended, no?  

Stainless steel insulated drink bottle.  Done.  Also keeps hot and cold coffee drinks at an enjoyable temperature for waaaay longer. 

The emperor has no new clothes, just new PR.

Unless whatever you put into your cup was also stored in stainless and not in a plastic wrapper, I'm pretty sure its futile to worry about the material the cup is made from.

What is the environmental impact in using a reusable plastic cup against numerous paper ones. I thought that plastic was environmentally unfriendly to manufacture. Paper is at least sustainable and can be made more friendly if not bleached. Don't suppose brown paper cups go down very well.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Unless whatever you put into your cup was also stored in stainless and not in a plastic wrapper, I'm pretty sure its futile to worry about the material the cup is made from.

Also not following you.  Maybe I'm just dense tonight.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:54 AM, inThailand said:

What would be useful is if they bar coded your cup and stored it for you. Scan your bar card and your coffee and cup is presented and charged to your cc automatically. 

It's only a cup of coffee for xxxx sake! Storing cups, bar codes, scanning - such nonsense. 

How difficult can it be to wash out your own reusable cup and take it with you the next day? In a gay man bag for all I care. Jeeze. 

24 minutes ago, djayz said:
11 hours ago, inThailand said:

What would be useful is if they bar coded your cup and stored it for you. Scan your bar card and your coffee and cup is presented and charged to your cc automatically. 

It's only a cup of coffee for fxxx sake! Storing cups, bar codes, scanning - such nonsense. 

How difficult can it be to wash out your own reusable cup and take it with you the next day? In a gay man bag for all I care. Jeeze. 

I've been to lots of places, albeit in the past, that keep your personalized coffee mug, serve your coffee up in it, then clean it and put it back on a hook after you're finished with your meal.  It's a way to build customer loyalty.

7 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I went to Starbucks once - hiding from the rain - nice coffee. but I can buy a months instant for what that cup cost.  Once, not planning on twice, not a cheap charlie, but don't like feeling ripped off.  

I don't go to Starbucks for the coffee.  I go there to rent a seat and watch the cuties cruising by, and for a convenient place to meet with friends in A/C comfort.  They throw the coffee in when I rent the seat.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've been to lots of places, albeit in the past, that keep your personalized coffee mug, serve your coffee up in it, then clean it and put it back on a hook after you're finished with your meal.  It's a way to build customer loyalty.

Maybe the world is modernizing quicker than I can / care to keep up with.

12 hours ago, ramr said:

Also not following you.  Maybe I'm just dense tonight.

Its not complicated, you buy coffee that has been sitting in a plastic wrapper for months, you buy milk that comes in a plastic bottle, you boil the water in a plastic kettle, after you've made the coffee you choose a cup to drink the coffee out of, and you are worried if its made of plastic, sounds like a futile concern considering all the plastic you can't avoid and that has already been in contact with the ingredients for far longer than the cup will ever be.

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do you have a sink in your kitchen?

Well must have got the wrong end of this.......   I thought when you had drunk your coffee you handed the cup back so they could re-use it for the next customer........   

You mean the customer would need to take the plastic/paper cup home or to Hotel room ?? and then wash it themselves and re-use if they wanted to ??  can't see that happening,  There are 1'000's of people that live in rooms or Hotels and do not have a kitchen sink.

I thought the reason for plastic/paper cups, in all these takeaway places was they were throw away. many places still use a plastic bag + a straw for cold drinks.

Here most all houses are built [even 4 bedroom detached] without a kitchen, myself yes have  built a kitchen 15 years ago, but there are still some others in the Village that have not, ALL 72 houses are 3 or more bedroom detached and you see the food/drink motorbikes and trucks stopping there 3 or so times a day.. 

22 minutes ago, ignis said:

Well must have got the wrong end of this.......   I thought when you had drunk your coffee you handed the cup back so they could re-use it for the next customer........   

You mean the customer would need to take the plastic/paper cup home or to Hotel room ?? and then wash it themselves and re-use if they wanted to ??  can't see that happening,  There are 1'000's of people that live in rooms or Hotels and do not have a kitchen sink.

I thought the reason for plastic/paper cups, in all these takeaway places was they were throw away. many places still use a plastic bag + a straw for cold drinks.

Here most all houses are built [even 4 bedroom detached] without a kitchen, myself yes have  built a kitchen 15 years ago, but there are still some others in the Village that have not, ALL 72 houses are 3 or more bedroom detached and you see the food/drink motorbikes and trucks stopping there 3 or so times a day.. 

Have you ever been to a restaurant with china plates and metal cutlery?  Was that hygienic?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its not complicated, you buy coffee that has been sitting in a plastic wrapper for months, you buy milk that comes in a plastic bottle, you boil the water in a plastic kettle, after you've made the coffee you choose a cup to drink the coffee out of, and you are worried if its made of plastic, sounds like a futile concern considering all the plastic you can't avoid and that has already been in contact with the ingredients for far longer than the cup will ever be.

Yes. 

download.jpg

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Point taken, but most of your plastic examples are refrigerated or kept inside with at least minimal air conditioning.  Starbucks or proper coffee places (i.e. using an espresso machine) do not use a plastic kettle to make hot water, afaik.  And tend to be air conditioned.

My specific concern isn't plastic, but rather sustained high heat plus plastic.  No shortage of unusually intense sunshine here when out and about, whether on foot/car/bicycle/motorbike/elephant, as you may have noticed.  Things get toasty quickly and that's an understatement.  I have tasted plastic in water in a "permanent" plastic cup left in the sun or a hot car, and besides thinking it *maybe* bodes not well for health, it's an unpleasant taste.  Make of that what you will.

If you're talking about Joe Blow making you a Nescafe/sugar/creamer or Thai sock coffee iced "latte" in his stand where supplies--including cups--are outside 24/7/365, yes, I agree the damage is already done.  I don't go to those places for reasons other than plastic, but don't expect you to automatically intuit that.  So perhaps we're both allowed to have good points here.

And as I said before, stainless steel bottle = temperature regulation for hours = win.

Also, in other news: immunizations are necessary, the Earth isn't flat, and Neil Armstrong did land on the moon.

6 hours ago, ignis said:

Maybe they have one of those newfangled bathroom sinks that has water come out of the faucet?

7 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Have you ever been to a restaurant with china plates and metal cutlery?  Was that hygienic?

It would be about as hygienic as any bar that serves drinks in containers of glass. But no-one seems to mind that...

Archived