Push for sustainable travel to save the planet

webfact

Push for sustainable travel to save the planet

By THE NATION

f5ec2a8f95411ced1d0285ad4326d419.jpeg

Organic farming and hand-picking of tea leaves are becoming popular activities in agro-tourism.

AS THE world marked Earth Day yesterday (April 22), digital travel platform Booking.com released findings from its annual sustainable travel report. Research reveals that almost three-quarters (72 per cent) of travellers believe that people need to act now and make sustainable travel choices to save the planet for future generations.

While results were relatively consistent across ages, almost three-quarters (74 per cent) of 46-55 year olds believe most strongly that this is needed, followed by millennials at 71 per cent. 

The views expressed by travellers across the world are timely, considering the special report that the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued in 2018. The report warned that the world has just over a decade to restrict global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, beyond which the risk of floods, droughts and extreme heat will significantly worsen.

Eco-mmodation

Consistent with overall intentions to make more sustainable travel choices, sustainable stays are growing in popularity, with almost three-quarters (73 per cent) of global travellers intending to stay at least once in an “eco-friendly” or “green” accommodation when looking at the year ahead. This is the fourth consecutive year that Booking.com research has seen this figure trend up, from 62 per cent in 2016 to 65 per cent in 2017, and 68 per cent in 2018. Additionally, 70 per cent of global travellers say they would be more likely to book an accommodation knowing it was eco-friendly, whether they were looking for a sustainable stay or not.

However, when it comes to recognising a sustainable place to stay, almost three-quarters (72 per cent) reported that they were not aware of the existence of eco-labels for vacation accommodations, while well over a third (37 per cent) affirmed that an international standard for identifying eco-friendly accommodation would help encourage them to travel more sustainably. Some 62 per cent would feel better about staying in an accommodation if they knew it had an eco-label.

Sustainable struggles

Despite the best of intentions, it’s not all plain sailing for would-be green travellers. The report also exposes the common barriers travellers face when making sustainable travel choices: 37 per cent of global respondents agreed that they do not know how to make my travel more sustainable, while 34 per cent agreed that although they do see options to travel more sustainably, other options tend to appeal more. About 36 per cent of the global respondents also said that they cannot afford the extra cost of sustainable travel, and 34 per cent agreed that their agenda constrains them in the sustainable choices they can make. Also, 34 per cent of global respondents agreed that sustainable travel destinations appealed to them less than other destinations, while 50 per cent said that they understand what they can do to travel more sustainably.

Travel companies have an important role to play here in the eyes of travellers: 71 per cent of respondents think that travel companies should offer consumers more sustainable travel choices. On the other hand, almost half (46 per cent) of global travellers acknowledge that they find it harder to make sustainable choices while on vacation than in everyday life. Almost a third (31 per cent) admitted their vacation is a special time during which they do not want to think about sustainability.

Aspirations to action

Research results also indicated that travellers would be more encouraged to travel sustainably if there were economic incentives offered, such as tax breaks, when choosing eco-friendly options (46 per cent). This is closely followed by online booking sites offering a sustainable or eco-friendly filter option (45 per cent).

When it comes to in-destination experiences, over half (52 per cent) of global travellers said they now alter behaviours to be more sustainable while travelling, such as walking, riding a bike or hiking whenever possible. Plus, 68 per cent would like the money they spend on travel to go back into the local community. Likewise, almost three-quarters (72 per cent) were seeking authentic experiences that are representative of the local culture, while two in five (41 per cent) request that travel companies offer tips on how to be more sustainable while travelling. As well, 56 per cent of respondents said that if there was an option to offset the carbon footprint on their vacation accommodation, they would do it.

“This is the fourth consecutive year that Booking.com has commissioned its sustainable travel report and it’s heartening to see the sustainable travel motivations and intentions amongst travellers, though it’s clear that complex challenges continue to exist when it comes to fully realising these,” said Pepijn Rijvers, senior vice president and head of accommodation at Booking.com.

“As a global travel leader, we are continuously looking at ways we can innovate across our platform, from accommodation to experiences and transport, testing different ways to best surface information and support customers in their sustainable travel choices, as well as providing support and investment to foster innovation in the sustainable tourism space through our Booking Booster, Cares Fund and Cares Lab start-up programmes.

It’s important that all those in the travel ecosystem, from established companies to startups, destinations, accommodation, transport and attraction providers as well as travellers themselves, come together, as it’s only through collaboration that meaningful change will continue to gain momentum.”

SourceL http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30368150

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23

Seriously?

If they want to make a difference, DON"T FLY.

Go somewhere they can reach by bus, train or car ( electric of course ).

Stop ruining other countries with your demands for flashpacker accommodation, stop ruining nice beaches with horrid concrete hotels, stop overwhelming fragile ecosystems by walking all over them, stop polluting the atmosphere with jet engines.

Even better, stay home and volunteer to work for a charity during your holiday.

Finally, stop with the faux concern for the environment, when things like "eco-friendly accommodation" is a charade.

Want "eco-friendly accommodation" go live in a cave and cook over a dung fire.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

When it comes to in-destination experiences, over half (52 per cent) of global travellers said they now alter behaviours to be more sustainable while travelling, such as walking, riding a bike or hiking whenever possible. Plus, 68 per cent would like the money they spend on travel to go back into the local community. Likewise, almost three-quarters (72 per cent) were seeking authentic experiences that are representative of the local culture, while two in five (41 per cent) request that travel companies offer tips on how to be more sustainable while travelling. As well, 56 per cent of respondents said that if there was an option to offset the carbon footprint on their vacation accommodation, they would do it.

I wonder how many Chinese tourists do these things. How many of them are going to travel to countries where they can pick tea leaves?

A whole bunch of unscientific nonsense !

Plain propaganda to push this nonsense.

... show me the science !!! The IPCC is a political institution and has nothing what so ever to do with science.

Scientists worldwide speak out against this ideology !!! Even members of the IPCC state in Government hearings

that there is not much science about this .... some even call it a bad joke !!! [just happened in Germany !!!]

China built a high speed rail network in amazing time. trains emit 14 grams of carbon per passenger kilometer. commercial aircraft today emit 285 grams per pass./km.... and 6,400 million of us have never been on an airplane even once in their lifetime... yet, which is changing so fast Bangkok now has 3 airports.... yes?

the most optimistic industry insiders say 15 to 20 years of research is needed before we have any electric jets for any distance not very short distanced because batteries are heavy and do not lose weight as they are used... add 5 to 10 years of air safety testing and 20 years to swap out fleets and a 15 year latency from emission to effect and it will be at least 50 years......... which we don't have even if a threshold dynamic isn't crossed in that time.

yet everything we do and consume involves carbon emissions... air travel is the least essential.... and is already significant. the first baby step is a moratorium on all non-military air travel. no carbon price mechanism would be acceptable because the top 1% would be able to afford it.... but the middle class in developed countries sees air travel as a social right and would not abide by only a few folks having the privilege only. 

36 minutes ago, brain150 said:

A whole bunch of unscientific nonsense !

Plain propaganda to push this nonsense.

... show me the science !!! The IPCC is a political institution and has nothing what so ever to do with science.

Scientists worldwide speak out against this ideology !!! Even members of the IPCC state in Government hearings

that there is not much science about this .... some even call it a bad joke !!! [just happened in Germany !!!]

read the PNAS published Trajectories report from Stockholm last year. or better, if you live in Thailand, the studies linking heat waves and fires in the north to the ENSO just published in the last few months. yeah, the IPCC is political. they vastly underestimate the real dangers.... it's like hiring a CPA to do your stock picks... they are too conservative. agree on that.

example...

Extreme temperatures in Southeast Asia caused by El Niño and worsened by global warming.  Kaustubh Thirumalai, Pedro N. DiNezio, [...], and Clara Deser..... just published.

End of Story.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously?

Stop ruining other countries with your demands for flashpacker accommodation, stop ruining nice beaches with horrid concrete hotels, stop overwhelming fragile ecosystems by walking all over them, stop polluting the atmosphere with jet engines.

Finally, stop with the faux concern for the environment, when things like "eco-friendly accommodation" is a charade.

Agree with most of this, especially the "DON'T FLY" comment.  But at the end of the day sadly, none of care enough in this respect.....

I disagree when it comes to some 'eco-friendly' accommodation, as some of them are genuinely very basic - and only exist to show Westerners how lucky they are in their lives, compared to how unlucky are the indigenous population.

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

Need one of those transporters, "Scotty beam me up"

These earthies, should seize  on the above ,pool all their money and develop this on their dime

When teleportation goes wrong: "You've commited murder just as much as Helene did. You killed a fly with a human head. She killed a human with a fly head."

I am trying to understand how organic farming and the picking of tea leaves by hand can actually contribute anything at all to the technological solution necessary to facilitate sustainable air travel.

I think the doom merchants who fantasised about Y2000 catastrophe have got their violins out again for yet another fanciful cause, which no doubt, just like Y2000 , will make a few people an awfull lot of money.

22 minutes ago, zydeco said:

When teleportation goes wrong: "You've commited murder just as much as Helene did. You killed a fly with a human head. She killed a human with a fly head."

Wouldn't it be experimental exploration ! Kinda like space exploration! Probably have to sign  accidental death waivers

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Don't travel at all, start using virtual reality headsets for virtual tourism. Sorted. Also it'll be ok to shoot the locals with a bazooka if they get on your nerves.

You mean it's not okay now? Wow. You mean I incurred a huge extra baggage charge for nothing?

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously?

I guess you came to Thailand on a bicycle :tongue:

9 hours ago, riclag said:

Need one of those transporters, "Scotty beam me up"

These earthies, should seize  on the above ,pool all their money and develop this on their dime

Is that a comment on moderation?   ????????

9 hours ago, zydeco said:

“I teleported home last night with Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggy's heart away and I got Sidney's leg.”

Douglas Adams.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Agree with most of this, especially the "DON'T FLY" comment.  But at the end of the day sadly, none of care enough in this respect.....

I disagree when it comes to some 'eco-friendly' accommodation, as some of them are genuinely very basic - and only exist to show Westerners how lucky they are in their lives, compared to how unlucky are the indigenous population.

Accommodation on Thai beaches used to be very eco friendly, but they are now ruined by flashpacker concrete buildings. we are going backwards. I've never seen a modern eco friendly hotel in LOS- all concrete.

The title of this thread is nonsense. The planet is in no danger, and will get along just fine without any humans destroying the environment.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Accommodation on Thai beaches used to be very eco friendly, but they are now ruined by flashpacker concrete buildings. we are going backwards. I've never seen a modern eco friendly hotel in LOS- all concrete.

The title of this thread is nonsense. The planet is in no danger, and will get along just fine without any humans destroying the environment.

I agree that 'our planet' is in no danger, but believe the life within is in danger.

I thought it was obvious that humans are destroying other life forms, but obviously this is not the case......

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, you are quite correct. Earth will survive whatever. 

Our ability to continue in this way for many more centuries IS in doubt.

Personally, I think intercontinental travel for vacations is insane.

Certainly when I was a child it was unheard of.

I blame Freddy Laker!

Solution is a massive carbon tax and dividend scheme. That will force a change in behaviour without harming anyone.

I often fly to Bangkok from Phuket just for lunch on a Saturday. Back the same day. Increase the price from 5,000 THB return to 20,000 THB return and I would stop. (And move to Bangkok)

The other practical solution is combined charger/inverter points. EV batteries can form a grid to support renewables. Say a million Electric Vehicles each with 100kWh of batteries could provide 10,000MW during the night and when there is no wind.

However, Thorium is the solution....

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I agree that 'our planet' is in no danger, but believe the life within is in danger.

I thought it was obvious that humans are destroying other life forms, but obviously this is not the case...…

I was only referring to the planet. Life forms on the planet come and go. 

Humans are really good at destroying the environment, and when we have killed ourselves off, another species will become dominant.

Al Jazeera had a news item about how much of the world's rainforests have been destroyed. The lungs of the planet destroyed, and governments do nothing, say nothing, ignore it. 

Do humans deserve to survive, given how destructive we are?

On 4/26/2019 at 9:49 AM, Grouse said:

Yes, you are quite correct. Earth will survive whatever. 

Our ability to continue in this way for many more centuries IS in doubt.

Personally, I think intercontinental travel for vacations is insane.

Certainly when I was a child it was unheard of.

I blame Freddy Laker!

Solution is a massive carbon tax and dividend scheme. That will force a change in behaviour without harming anyone.

I often fly to Bangkok from Phuket just for lunch on a Saturday. Back the same day. Increase the price from 5,000 THB return to 20,000 THB return and I would stop. (And move to Bangkok)

The other practical solution is combined charger/inverter points. EV batteries can form a grid to support renewables. Say a million Electric Vehicles each with 100kWh of batteries could provide 10,000MW during the night and when there is no wind.

However, Thorium is the solution....

Yep Freddie Laker was the start of all this to be sure.

Archived