Man 'forced to sleep with rats' after Scottish bank cancels credit card during Thailand trip

webfact

Man 'forced to sleep with rats' after Scottish bank cancels credit card during Thailand trip

by JANE BRADLEY

THE SCOTSMAN

AlbertoPerez.jpg

Alberto Perez says he had to sleep on the streets after his credit card was cancelled.

A man has claimed he has been forced to sleep in abandoned buildings with rats and cockroaches on holiday in Thailand after his debit card was cancelled in error by a Scottish bank.

Alberto Perez was on a two-month holiday on a Thai island when he discovered his debit card had been stopped. When he contacted Bank of Scotland customer, he was told it was due to a new card being sent out to his home in Edinburgh while he was away and that the old card could not be used.

Mr Perez, 42, who works in front of house at a vegetarian restaurant in Edinburgh, says he is now working in a restaurant in Thailand in return for meals and has nowhere to stay for the remaining two weeks of his holiday - forcing him to sleep on the streets and in disused buildings.

Full story: https://www.scotsman.com/man-forced-to-sleep-with-rats-after-scottish-bank-cancels-credit-card-during-thailand-trip-1-4912841

-- THE SCOTSMAN 2019-04-23

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MeePeeMai said:

I guess the IO who stamped him in didn’t ask to see his 20k in cash. 

And this is the reason they want to see the cash, not plastic. 

Yes and that's because we even can't trust our own banks anymore these days.

I've had the same, my bank had blocked my creditcard for certain countries for safety reasons without telling me.

1 minute ago, Youlike said:

I've had the same, my bank had blocked my creditcard for certain countries for safety reasons without telling me.

Yes it’s happened to me also. 

So, he's never heard of Western Union, Paypal, bank transfers to third parties?

I've known many people in a similar position and it isn't hard to get cash if you really want to. On a few occasions I've had someone transfer money to my UK bank and then I've paid the person in THB......after the cash is safely in my bank! The guy needs to wise up.

I'm also unsure how he would have paid the hospital for his dengue test!

18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Always a good idea to have more than one source of cash.

Also always a good idea to inform your bank in advance that you intend to use your credit/debit card during an upcoming holiday in a foreign country. Strikes me that the guy referred to in the OP probably omitted to do this.

21 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Who goes travelling for two months with ONE card as the only source of funds ? thats asking for trouble, and no friends or relatives to assist ? 

Never rode the ragged edge then Charlie?

I once got off a plane in Pointe Noire with no visa, two Scottish bank fivers (poons) in my wallet and about 25 grand of flash-looking electronics for my job but no customs paperwork. This was way, way back when ATM's hadn't been invented yet but despite my agent being a no-show, I still managed to get to my job offshore Angola about 3 days later... without the flash-looking electronics of course!

Just another BS story, debit card? credit card? Which 1?

Who travels to other counties relying on only 1 card?

Answer a numpty.

Sleeping with rats/cockroaches BS but makes a good story, how much was he paid for it?

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Never rode the ragged edge then Charlie?

I once got off a plane in Pointe Noire with no visa, two Scottish bank fivers (poons) in my wallet and about 25 grand of flash-looking electronics for my job but no customs paperwork. This was way, way back when ATM's hadn't been invented yet but despite my agent being a no-show, I still managed to get to my job offshore Angola about 3 days later... without the flash-looking electronics of course!

????

Our flash electronics turned up a few days later but in component parts and impossible to put back together.

Fussbudgets who double-check their fall-back strategies in the event of something going pear-shaped during their travels never seem to get into trouble. The travellers who don't check and fly off on a wing and a prayer do.

I had an Australian debit card expire while I was here. As I also had another AUD debit card, PLUS a Kasikorn debit card, no worries.

Citi bank has done it to me 3 times in 1 month. 

Each time I tried to use my card in Thailand , it would decline it and Citi bank cancel the card and issue a new one .

Mind you I told them card would be used in Thailand and yet they still cancel it, claiming Thailand is a high fraud country.

3 times in s row with the same silly excuse.

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Exactly! And then you can "learn" about your banks Telephone-, online support. Nobody knows anything, at least you'll have to tell your story 10 times to a call center idiot!

Besides that, many "Smart Axxes" here, haven't read the article, before posting their gloating and selfish comments.

But that's normal in "TV" and seems, somehow, to be normal to the ExPat Community in Thailand.

Must be a miserable life Thailand, if so many need to "jexk off", about other peoples situations or misery!

3 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

Exactly! And then you can "learn" about your banks Telephone-, online support. Nobody knows anything, at least you'll have to tell your story 10 times to a call center idiot!

Besides that, many "Smart Axxes" here, haven't read the article, before posting their gloating and selfish comments.

But that's normal in "TV" and seems, somehow, to be normal to the ExPat Community in Thailand.

Must be a miserable life Thailand, if so many need to "jexk off", about other peoples situations or misery!

You having a bad day? not getting any?

People leaving their home country/ travelling to distant shores, should notify their bank of what they are planning and for how long, then no problems should arise.

In my travelling days UK to Asia i always let my bank know which countries i would be in, and approx how long.

The 1 time i did not notify them my card is blocked, for my own safety, when i enquired why my card was locked, i was told you did not notify us you would be in Thailand, your card transaction was considered fraudulent.

Archived