Man 'forced to sleep with rats' after Scottish bank cancels credit card during Thailand trip

webfact

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Hope he has his return ticket already paid. Do I see a 'go fund me' lurking in the background?

I guess his family could send some money to cover his expenses for the remaining two weeks.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BestB said:

Citi bank has done it to me 3 times in 1 month. 

Each time I tried to use my card in Thailand , it would decline it and Citi bank cancel the card and issue a new one .

Mind you I told them card would be used in Thailand and yet they still cancel it, claiming Thailand is a high fraud country.

3 times in s row with the same silly excuse.

I had problems with Citibank for years, despite living in Thailand and having my Thai address listed with them.  Knock on wood, after many an irate call finally improved.  They also now send me n email first if they are in doubt about a charge instead of immediately freezing the card as they used to do without warning.

Still have some issues with them when doing online shopping. They would object that the charge showed as from a country I had not told them I was traveling to...because, of course, I was not traveling there. Apparently they are unfamiliar with the concept of online shopping and that one cannot know what country the charge will show up from.

Not once have any of the charges they considered "suspicious" been fraudulent. I did have a fraudulent charge once but that went right through with no problem -- apparently they did not consider a monthly gym membership in California at all strange for someone living in Thailand!!!!

Very, very annoying.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The article first refers to a debit card and then further on refers to a credit card.

Something doesn't add up.

Many cards are both. My debit cards, both US and Thai, also work as credit cards.

From the linked story:

"Mr Perez said that the credit card he has with him has an expiry date of April 2021 and that he had visited his branch in Edinburgh to check his banking facilities were in order before his trip. He has contacted the bank by phone, as well as through an online chat facility, but says a number he was given to phone to try to have his card reactivated has not worked".

And he hasn't tried to contact them again to find out why the number doesn't work?  Why not try calling it when engaged in an online chat to find out what the problem is in real time?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Who travels to other counties relying on only 1 card?

Answer a numpty.

Er, I must be a numpty. I have never had a problem. 

How many cards do you take with you? 

How many do you advise I take next time? 

I don’t really want to try his food, considering his sleeping/ showering arrangements.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Also always a good idea to inform your bank in advance that you intend to use your credit/debit card during an upcoming holiday in a foreign country. Strikes me that the guy referred to in the OP probably omitted to do this.

Also also a good idea to actually take the time to actually read an article before making comments and assumptions.

Strikes me that the guy commenting probably omitted to do this.

3 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

So his card expired while he was on holiday and he didn't plan it or they randomly just cancelled?

I'd half expect that he assumed he wasn't going to have to pay for anything; and so why he never advised his bank the card was going overseas.

He didn't get off scotfree this time... 

Keep 3 sets of 4 cards with different currencies in different places. American Express also deliver £1000 in 24 hours max if you need it anywhere in the world. People really don’t plan well enough- wonder if he even has travel insurance?

It's nonsense, sensational rubbish; nobody goes for a two-month holiday with a single source of funds, no friends back home to help when things go wrong, and has to sleep on 'streets and in disused buildings with rats'. Even in the extremely implausible event that the man was so helpless and had nobody to assist him, a temple would give him shelter and food for the duration. 

23 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I don’t really want to try his food, considering his sleeping/ showering arrangements.

Frankly, my primary spending method while travelling is cash and two cards as backup. One week before departure inform the bank about my travel plans - destinations.

16 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

At least take separate ATM and credit cards so you don't need to rely on just one for both cash and credit.

8 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

It's nonsense, sensational rubbish; nobody goes for a two-month holiday with a single source of funds, no friends back home to help when things go wrong, and has to sleep on 'streets and in disused buildings with rats'. Even in the extremely implausible event that the man was so helpless and had nobody to assist him, a temple would give him shelter and food for the duration. 

We take it for granted what we have.  Look around you in Thailand so many who could be destitute at a moment's notice. Not everyone is sitting on multiple credit cards and open limits.  Sure the guy was foolish and ill planned but certainly conceivable.

7 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I think you will find that plenty of young people have a single source of funds when they go abroad and plenty wouln't have people to help them back home should they need it, to imagine that these people do not even exist makes you sound completely out of touch.  Sure, a temple would be a good place for him to head, but he is already working for his food, why do you expect him to want to ask for a handout?

18 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

I don't believe this story.

I have an ANZ debt card. As long as you have cash in the DC you have no problems. Obviously he has no cash. He spent it all on Rhonda Roxstar in Nana.

He's not even a Scot.

It was a credit card, not a debit card.  Do keep up.  Have you actually read the story in the OP?

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Always a good idea to have more than one source of cash.

Always a good idea to tell your bank you will be using the card in a foreign country?

Two cards better than one?

4 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Buddhists don't believe in the Christian God because Buddhism isn't a theist religion.  

Most atheists don't know that, but i was replying to someone wondering why the guy didn't go to a temple.

Archived