St George's Day

billd766

A tad insensitive to Muslims, isn't it? Celebrating a figure so associated with the Crusaders fighting against Mohammedans and the terrible massacres? The UK is now a multicultural society, enriched by people from across the globe, including Muslims.  We should celebrate their contributions to society and respect their feelings by putting an end to St. George's Day.

St George pre-dates Islam, I believe he was a Roman soldier from what is now Turkey. So an appropriate symbol for multicultural England.

(It's hardly his fault Crusaders stuck his cross on their shields and tabards)

11 minutes ago, Oxx said:

A tad insensitive to Muslims, isn't it? Celebrating a figure so associated with the Crusaders fighting against Mohammedans and the terrible massacres? The UK is now a multicultural society, enriched by people from across the globe, including Muslims.  We should celebrate their contributions to society and respect their feelings by putting an end to St. George's Day.

Just a modern PC knee jerk without any knowledge of who St. George was.  

At least i looked...

His veneration by Christians and Muslims lies in his composite personality combining several Biblical, Quranic and other ancient mythical heroes.[41]

Flags will be flying on all Anglican churches. 

St Patrick's day has also no real relevance to St Patrick in the modern world it is simply an evening long happy hour. Mostly celebrated by the descendants of refugees from the republic...

41 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Well I suppose you might say that it is a tad insensitive to muslims, but how about Hindus Buddhists, church of Scotland and all the other religeons around. I am not pc and I never will be, nor do I care what you may think.

Nor do I give a rats arzzz about what you think is the UK multicultural society.

BTW I specifically named only England because St George IS the patron saint of England and it is his day, not that of a multicultural society.

20 minutes ago, petermik said:

St George is the patron saint of England, St Andrew of Scotland, St David of Wales and St Patrick of Ireland.

54 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Banging that particular drum just 24hrs after 290 people have been murdered inc 8 Brits, by ...........................?

Give it a rest pal! ☹️

31 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Banging that particular drum just 24hrs after 290 people have been murdered inc 8 Brits, by ...........................?

Give it a rest pal! ☹️

A handful of Muslims who don't represent mainstream Islamic opinion did something terrible.  Perhaps if the West wasn't so keen upon waging war and fomenting turmoil in Muslim countries, then it might not have happened.  The hundreds of thousands of Muslims who've died as a result of the West's policies make the small number of non-Muslims killed pretty insignificant in the greater scale of things.

The failure of the West to treat Muslims with respect is uncivil (particularly in the case of England when Muslims were invited to come and work here and to contribute to society), both in international policies and in continuing to promote the Crusader St. George iconography.

Where I come from in the UK it's considered rude to invite someone into one's house, then insult them.  To do so is a betrayal of British values and standards.  Treat other people with respect.  Or, since we're talking about a saint here, do as Jesus said "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another". 

25 minutes ago, Oxx said:

A handful of Muslims who don't represent mainstream Islamic opinion did something terrible.  Perhaps if the West wasn't so keen upon waging war and fomenting turmoil in Muslim countries, then it might not have happened.  The hundreds of thousands of Muslims who've died as a result of the West's policies make the small number of non-Muslims killed pretty insignificant in the greater scale of things.

The failure of the West to treat Muslims with respect is uncivil (particularly in the case of England when Muslims were invited to come and work here and to contribute to society), both in international policies and in continuing to promote the Crusader St. George iconography.

Where I come from in the UK it's considered rude to invite someone into one's house, then insult them.  To do so is a betrayal of British values and standards.  Treat other people with respect.  Or, since we're talking about a saint here, do as Jesus said "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another". 

Give it a rest pal! ☹️

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No reasonable response, just insult the poster, as usual.

No "reasonable response" because you didn't make any reasonable point remotely worth of response.

As for "insult the poster", it was you who wrote "Nor do I give a rats arzzz about what you think is the UK multicultural society".

Just toddle off to the nearest dinosaur graveyard, won't you?

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Ok, deal. We'll cancel Ramadan as well. Then everybody is happy, ok?

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Jesus.....isn't he a Man City player?

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

Which is why it isn't PC to celebrate the day in the UK anymore.

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Has it ever been? I grew up in the 1970s and I don't ever remember celebrating it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Likewise, I grew up in the UK during 60s/70s, it was never anything I remember celebrating, it was the Irish, Welsh and Scots that did Saint's Days.

It was only skinheads and the National Front who liked to wave the Cross of St George.

george was actually french

On 4/23/2019 at 5:49 AM, Stocky said:

St George pre-dates Islam, I believe he was a Roman soldier from what is now Turkey. So an appropriate symbol for multicultural England.

(It's hardly his fault Crusaders stuck his cross on their shields and tabards)

he was french actually,i might get my tricolour out it is red,white and blue after all

19 hours ago, Stocky said:

Likewise, I grew up in the UK during 60s/70s, it was never anything I remember celebrating, it was the Irish, Welsh and Scots that did Saint's Days.

It was only skinheads and the National Front who liked to wave the Cross of St George.

very true,i barely heard of it until 10-15 years ago and barely anyone other than the above mentioned are bothered,seems like an excuse for a visit to spoonies and copying the paddys more than anything,but lets raise a glass of red wine to the frenchman anyway

Archived