Easy Marriage yesterday at Khon Kaen. No agent required!

graemeaylward

About a month ago, travelled to British Embassy, Bangkok and obtained Freedom to Marry document plus Certified copy of passport. Had them translated and certified by MFA. All very easy. When we, my girlfriend of six years and I woke up yesterday morning we decided it was a good day to get married being Easter Monday. Collected 2 friends on way to Amphur in Muang Khon Kaen. Parked in car park outside and went into a large area crowded with people. Took ticket number 841 and prepared for a long wait. However, before we had even sat down our number was called, lady at hatch checked paperwork and invited us in to see another lady in an inner sanctum. She went through forms with us asked if we had witnesses, one of which was turned down as not Thai. We signed various papers, paid 200 baht for a witness from office, then the boss was wheeled in who signed the 2 certificates and it was all over in about 1 hour. Very quick, efficient and painless, despite no congratulations or smiles from officials. I suppose it's just a job to them, but we regard the day as special, particularly as it rained later in the day :-)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

same with my wife and I. Got all the paper work / red tape done ourselves and got married in an office in Samut Prakan. Easy peasy. We even got smilles and congratulations from the people who did the work. The head honcho even shook my hand and wished us "happy healthy wealthy". 

The only weirdness was we needed and an interpreter, after my wife explained that she'ss fluent in English and can interpret we were told that she couldnt do it and we needed someone else. We asked her friend who doubled up as a witness. His words.."I could go through this with you but do you really want to know it". That was the interpretation. 

oh, congrats by the way. Happy, healthy, wealthy!

OP we got married in the same office as you nearly 8 years ago.

Wife and her 2 sisters at the desk doing all the talking, i sat chatting with another farang, only got called to sign my name, then i asked what else, nothing we are married wife says, same as you job done in less than an hour.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP we got married in the same office as you nearly 8 years ago.

Wife and her 2 sisters at the desk doing all the talking, i sat chatting with another farang, only got called to sign my name, then i asked what else, nothing we are married wife says, same as you job done in less than an hour.

Ye, we got married same office 11 yrs ago. Straight forward and fast.   

Congratulations on your marriage!

After living together with my partner as man and wife for over 15 years we went to get married officially and got turned away from 3 ampurs in 2016 (2 in Bangkok and one up North), some ampurs just refused to marry us. We managed finally to get married at the wifes local ampur around Kalasin)

12 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And don't forget to get divorced in the same place as you registered the marriage, its much simpler.

Cynical or what!! Why speak about divorce?

When you get married it should be for life.:cheesy:

My wife says she loves me and we are together till we die.????

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Cynical or what!! Why speak about divorce?

i agree and all five of mine promised the same thing, but some just tell lies ????

7 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

About a month ago, travelled to British Embassy, Bangkok and obtained Freedom to Marry document plus Certified copy of passport. Had them translated and certified by MFA. All very easy. When we, my girlfriend of six years and I woke up yesterday morning we decided it was a good day to get married being Easter Monday. Collected 2 friends on way to Amphur in Muang Khon Kaen. Parked in car park outside and went into a large area crowded with people. Took ticket number 841 and prepared for a long wait. However, before we had even sat down our number was called, lady at hatch checked paperwork and invited us in to see another lady in an inner sanctum. She went through forms with us asked if we had witnesses, one of which was turned down as not Thai. We signed various papers, paid 200 baht for a witness from office, then the boss was wheeled in who signed the 2 certificates and it was all over in about 1 hour. Very quick, efficient and painless, despite no congratulations or smiles from officials. I suppose it's just a job to them, but we regard the day as special, particularly as it rained later in the day ????

Yes, we were very, very happy to get the rain too!!!

Congratulations OP. I am sure the wife and family are very pleased to have it official.

We got married up here 3 weeks ago and it took 3 hours as they wrote out a document, by hand, of everything that the MFA papers said, and then put the information in the computer. But, as a plus, they also made out a will for my wife that leaves the house and lands to me. They had refused to do this before we married. Later this week we will go back to the Amphoe and get my yellow Tabien Baan and pink ID card that they also refused before.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, colinneil said:

watch out what the missus cooks for you colin....get the dog to taste it first.....safety first is the way to go here....................:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

p.s. ain,t love grand....you soppy buggers :whistling:

p.p.s. sorry chaps just feeling a little mischievous today :thumbsup:

On 4/23/2019 at 3:20 AM, graemeaylward said:

She went through forms with us asked if we had witnesses, one of which was turned down as not Thai.

Another example of rules being interpreted differently according to the office used.  I recently acted as witness for 2 friends (1 Thai, 1 American) at Bangrak Amphur, Bangkok. I am neither Thai or a permanent resident.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, kingstonkid said:

Question, when you get married, does the girl's book have to be in the area.  We live in Pathum Thani her parents and book are about 300km away

I guess by 'book' you mean Tabien Baan (House Book). No, you can marry wherever you want.  Following some fake documents being used by some Indian gentlemen a couple of years ago, some amphurs were refusing to marry couples where one was foreign.  That situation seems to be improving now but probably better to check with the amphur first.

Since the fake document incidents most amphurs are following the rules that they used to be fairly relaxed on previously so in addition to the usual documents etc. you will need 2 witnesses and a translator. In addition to having your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry translated and certified by the MFA in Bangkok you will also need the same process for your passport. The manager needs to be on duty when a Thai/Foreigner marriage is registered.

• 1 month later...

How do they translate a passport? do they write the names in Thai? what about the photo,

do they modify it to make you look Thai? No one has the right to alter a passport, even a copy.

Question for the OP: How long would sorting out the initial Bangkok paperwork take on average - How many days would you allow to get to the UK Embassy and the MFA. Are they close to each other? Assume you need an appointment at the embassy, is the MFA just a walk-in? Thanks 

Archived