Father departed Thailand

jimmyyy

My Wife has a friend whose husband(American) told his wife he was going to bangkok and took off back to the USA leaving her and there two kids with no money, nothing.  The kids are his.  Does she have an ability to attempt to collect Child Support for them, its been 6 months and no money has come here way.  He has not contacted her but once to say don't call me again.  I am trying to give her some options but i just don't know of any.  She does not have the money to hire a US attorney, I don't even know if that would be possible, it appears Thailand is not a signatory of the Child Support Treaty.  Any and all ideas would be most helpful for this lady.  Both the kids have US passports, i have seen them.  

Make an appointment for her with the US Embassy (has to be done online) and have her go in with the children and talk to them.

But,  outlook is not very good.  She would have to hire a lawyer and even once given a court order for child support, enforcing it is very hard, even for people living in the US.

A lot depends on what his income sources are. If government (e.g. government pension or Social Security) then there is more recourse. If it is from private sources like investments etc, much harder.

She should try to find his social security number. Especially, but not only, if his income is from Social Security.

4 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

no, ha ha, not me.  I have 3 kids and i love them to much.  Its my wife's friend her husband......

'

Hahaha.. only joking..

I dont really have anything to over apart from the say the guy sounds like a right POS upping and leaving like that.. His own kids aswell...

I don't really know what the deal was.  I didn't know him, only ever saw him once, he is probably late 50's.  Seen the kids a couple of times but that is about it.  I made her an appointment at the embassy.  Printed off the sheet and gave it to her, she just left.  Told her to find his social security number and bring that with her to the embassy along with a copy of his passport which she had with her.  The whole damn thing is a bit strange, but i was asked by the Mrs to see what could be done.  So that is what i do, find my life is much better when i say ok and do what i am told, lol.  

Usually it's the other way around where the local wife take the kids up country to her village and start making demands from there, who knows what has prompted the hubby to skedaddle without a trace and contacts, there's always more than meet the eye they say...

How a man can leave his kids boggles me. Do they have US citizenship, that may make it easier. As said, finding him and then actually enforcing anything would be very hard, he may not even be in the US anymore. Not sure if a Thai legal aid lawyer would be able to help her as they are after all Thai citizens. Courts have contact numbers for legal aid lawyers at their information desks.

Her family went to see a lawyer here in Thailand, and he basically said, that she would need to petition a US court, but first she would need a local child support order, so a divorce here first, then she would have to hire an attorney in America, but something to do with the state he is from, there enforcement division won't work with any country not part of the Child support treaty.  I think its going to be very expensive for her and in the end, there may be nothing for her.  Either way i did my part, let the embassy explain to her what she needs to do. 

• 3 weeks later...

there are two sides to every story. i absolutely dont condone what he has done but maybe he has run out of money, maybe he has mental health issues, maybe he has issues back home that need resolving, maybe there were issues with his wife/her family - we just dont know.

going to the embassy seems the right move.

one thing we do know is that it's not just thai men who do the dirty on their partners/wives.

Archived