Judicial System Experience

ajcnx

For long time expats living in Thailand, Do you have any personal experience in Judicial System in Thailand ? How were you treated as Foriegner ?

Civil or Criminal cases involved , how was your lawyer ? were you explained good enough on the cases against you ? Or did you sue someone who is Thai ?

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The judicial system is a lot more than just suing someone. 

Case in point, I have an ongoing matter regarding theft. The police handled the case as well as could be expected and the perpetrator was found and confessed. The case is now in the court and is being adjudicated in Bangkok with the "attorney general" regarding a point of law. 

I will have my day in court.

I have not retained a lawyer and have done whatever needs to be done myself. I was even able to locate the Chiang Mai prosecutor who will be hearing the case, who informed me of the process. I will not be accompanied by a lawyer in court. And my reading is not quite at the level to understand Thai legal documentation. I have someone help me with that. 

There is a notion, both here and abroad, that if you have any dealings with the law, you must have an attorney to represent you. This is largely untrue. Of course this does not include you being arrested for something, in which case you may be unable to properly obtain the legal information you need. 

I have found that all the officials I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful. Some of the police officers have been less than sanguine at times, but I think some of their behavior was for the benefit of the underlings.

I don't know what you specifically are asking, OP ajcnx, so a little narrowing of the scope might help you. 

By the way: "...the system here doesn't cater for foreigners, only Thais..." seems a little odd from someone of such long standing here. Unless of course you mean they don't provide all the documentation in English for you, then yes, they only cater to Thai speakers and readers. I am not aware of a two-tiered legal system in the same vein as the dual pricing system for foreigners and Thais as in, say, national parks here. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am just curious of knowing some of the experiences of different people as I have been studying Thai Laws in last 2 years . I have worked as an interperator for more than 50 cases in Chiangmai Civil and Criminal court . What i have experienced is no matter you are at fault or not everybody try to push you accept the charges no matter you have done it or not . 

8 minutes ago, ajcnx said:

What i have experienced is no matter you are at fault or not everybody try to push you accept the charges no matter you have done it or not . 

I'm sure that's not unique to Thailand. It seems over 90% of those charged with crime in the "land of the Free", USA, never see a courtroom and are often bullied into accepting the charges, commonly in some watered-down form. No criminal system fairly serves the poor. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I mentioned this case awhile ago where a young Canadian boy was murdered by a Thai policeman, who then shot a young Canadian girl in Pai. She survived and sued the Royal Thai Police. She could only afford a young Thai female lawyer and it took ten years, but she was successful in court; was awarded a considerable settlement and after another year of waiting, the money was transferred to her.

This young lady was brave and tenacious. I would have walked away as my opinions are somewhat similar to other posters regarding  these situations. However, "might is right" did not seem to apply in this particular situation. However, being a young, female, attractive tourist can't hurt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Teak said:

I mentioned this case awhile ago where a young Canadian boy was murdered by a Thai policeman, who then shot a young Canadian girl in Pai. She survived and sued the Royal Thai Police. She could only afford a young Thai female lawyer and it took ten years, but she was successful in court; was awarded a considerable settlement and after another year of waiting, the money was transferred to her.

This young lady was brave and tenacious. I would have walked away as my opinions are somewhat similar to other posters regarding  these situations. However, "might is right" did not seem to apply in this particular situation. However, being a young, female, attractive tourist can't hurt.

Thanks for sharing . Me too I am aware of this story , She went through a lot of difficulties but Brave enough not to leave the matter 

We had an officer who stole over 500.000 THB in 2 years. We sued the person and went to court. Judge agreed with us (Western and Thai) and the person was given 5 months to return the amount, which received or face 5 years jail. Took us 3 times going to the court and 85.000 for a laywer. Worth it.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:40 AM, Trujillo said:

The judicial system is a lot more than just suing someone. 

Case in point, I have an ongoing matter regarding theft. The police handled the case as well as could be expected and the perpetrator was found and confessed. The case is now in the court and is being adjudicated in Bangkok with the "attorney general" regarding a point of law. 

I will have my day in court.

I have not retained a lawyer and have done whatever needs to be done myself. I was even able to locate the Chiang Mai prosecutor who will be hearing the case, who informed me of the process. I will not be accompanied by a lawyer in court. And my reading is not quite at the level to understand Thai legal documentation. I have someone help me with that. 

There is a notion, both here and abroad, that if you have any dealings with the law, you must have an attorney to represent you. This is largely untrue. Of course this does not include you being arrested for something, in which case you may be unable to properly obtain the legal information you need. 

I have found that all the officials I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful. Some of the police officers have been less than sanguine at times, but I think some of their behavior was for the benefit of the underlings.

I don't know what you specifically are asking, OP ajcnx, so a little narrowing of the scope might help you. 

By the way: "...the system here doesn't cater for foreigners, only Thais..." seems a little odd from someone of such long standing here. Unless of course you mean they don't provide all the documentation in English for you, then yes, they only cater to Thai speakers and readers. I am not aware of a two-tiered legal system in the same vein as the dual pricing system for foreigners and Thais as in, say, national parks here. 

Your gonna learn the hard way. The rule of thumb in Thailand is ..... TRUST LEAST those who SMILE MOST. You will have your day alright but I fear not the one you expect.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, Inn Between said:

I'm sure that's not unique to Thailand. It seems over 90% of those charged with crime in the "land of the Free", USA, never see a courtroom and are often bullied into accepting the charges, commonly in some watered-down form. No criminal system fairly serves the poor. 

in America Justice is Just Ice

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have no direct experience of the Thai justice system, but a general principle in life, along the lines of knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, has served to keep me relatively sane for upwards of seven decades, and might usefully be applied to the present question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfpro47 said:

I lived with a Thai girl for quite a few Years it was a good relationship for most of the time but as a lot of people (Farang)know it doesn’t always last.

I was working outside of Thailand on a regular basis and things started to change in our relationship and then I found out she has started gambling losing and borrowing money to feed her gambling habit.

Coming Home one time she had asked me to go to a Wedding in Bangkok which I refused due to what had happened at the previous one we went to,after paying for the Whisky and Beer I was “one of the boys”after refusing to buy anymore they all(Thai guys) left the table,so I refused to go to this one.

So she went off to Bangkok with the daughter for 3 Days,I went round to friends of ours to see why they hadn’t been round to our House as they always came round,then the news came to me from them as they wouldn’t come round as my girl wanted them to lie to me about her playing cards,they wouldn’t do that but told me what she had been up to and now had problems with the mafia as she had borrowed from them.

Confronting her when she came back home from Bangkok she eventually told me some of the things she had done to get money to gamble.so with what she told me I kicked her out of the House and next Day started Legal proceedings to get the House back.

I was confronted by all the Bar Beer Lawyers and the neigh sayers all telling me I was an idiot for trying to get the House back as everything was in her name.

I took no notice of the doom sayers and pressed on, I hired a Thai Lawyer,it took just under a Year to finalize the Case which I won and got the House back,it cost me 200,000baht but I was very happy the way that the Lawyer performed and thought his Costs were very reasonable,obviously this is a wartered down version of events but if anyone is interested in knowing ask and I will try to help.

I went through a 2 year property battle in Australia and it cost me the equivalent of 1.5mil baht for the same time period. All up I was billed for approximately 40 hours. 

Your fees would cover around 6 hours 555

Congratulations. 2 wins for you in my book 

Edited by MadMuhammad

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. In Thailand, what is better than having a lawyer that knows the law, is one that knows the Judge (1st hand experience on this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some law offices that "rented" to you if you wished a retired judge, or high police officer... big steep prices ...  

• Confused 1

On April 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM, ajcnx said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am just curious of knowing some of the experiences of different people as I have been studying Thai Laws in last 2 years . I have worked as an interperator for more than 50 cases in Chiangmai Civil and Criminal court . What i have experienced is no matter you are at fault or not everybody try to push you accept the charges no matter you have done it or not . 

Is this my friend in CHIANG MAI with the first initial B?

On 4/25/2019 at 9:25 PM, amexpat said:

I personally know a farang who sued a wealthy Thai to collect a substantial debt and won. 

Thai lawyer charged a very reasonable sum and presented an air-tight case. 

And, yes, the payments are coming in on time. 

Sorry, bar stool experts. 

I personally witnessed a case in a Thai court of where a farang with a Thai lawyer who spoke good English representing him, won his case, his lawyer told him that his divorce papers would be through within two weeks.

His lawyer then emailed him these two weeks later and said that the judge had changed her mind and decided that she did not believe him.

• Like 2

Litigation cases take around 2 years here but can be won against thais.

Take a GOOD lawyer that won multiple cases in front of the surpreme court if you can. They won't take any crap lawyer serious in court imho, that's why most people struggle here - most lawyers here simply suck but there are good ones.