Judicial System Experience

ajcnx

On 4/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, ezzra said:

30 odd years in this country and my experience with the local laws are mostly if not all, bad, the system here doesn't cater for foreigners, only Thais, i had a fair share of suing locals and a foreigner, lawyers are mostly are out for themselves, charging fortun for little results, my advice, avoid legal issues at all costs and specially lawyers, settle all disputes the best you can and be smart and you will save yourself lots of money, time and frustrations...

This advice is valid for most countries, not just Thailand.

• Like 1

First, I always work with Thai lawyers on a success fee to handle any case.

A lawsuit was filed by be me against the Royal Thai Police in the Administrative Court for failing to issue my residence permit.

It was a long process, first started with negotiating to withdraw the lawsuit, which I didn't, then intimidation, I was declared a persona non grata, which has to be challenged in court as well, and as the police were without success, harassment was next in there playbook.

Now you will be surprised how much manpower the police has, wherever I traveled in Thailand police followed, if I returned from abroad, I was picked out of the line for throughout checkup.

Finally, it went to the Supreme Administrative Court for the final verdict where the court ordered the Royal Thai Police to issue my residence visa within 14 days. In fact, I picked up the resident book the very next day as nothing happened.

So at least in my case, the Central Administrative court and the Supreme Administrative Court is a straightforward institution where a foreign national can get right against a powerful government organization.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. In Thailand, what is better than having a lawyer that knows the law, is one that knows the Judge (1st hand experience on this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the same in most countries; even the USA.

Was involved in a criminal case. Right up to facing the judge treatment was horrific, terrible cells, hand and leg cuffs, police does not explain anything .

when in front of the judge , defending myself , no lawyer and no translator was treated more than fair , very lenient and accomodating.

would I want to do it again? Not at all.

would I be afraid of a repeat , not at all.

experience with lawyers? Have had a few and conclusion is the same , they do not know the law and would not even bother to look it up.

lawyers say one thing , police says another and courts something totally different 

14 hours ago, BLUENILE said:

A lawsuit was filed by be me against the Royal Thai Police in the Administrative Court for failing to issue my residence permit.

It was a long process, first started with negotiating to withdraw the lawsuit, which I didn't, then intimidation, I was declared a persona non grata, which has to be challenged in court as well, and as the police were without success, harassment was next in there playbook.

Now you will be surprised how much manpower the police has, wherever I traveled in Thailand police followed, if I returned from abroad, I was picked out of the line for throughout checkup.

Finally, it went to the Supreme Administrative Court for the final verdict where the court ordered the Royal Thai Police to issue my residence visa within 14 days. In fact, I picked up the resident book the very next day as nothing happened.

So at least in my case, the Central Administrative court and the Supreme Administrative Court is a straightforward institution where a foreign national can get right against a powerful government organization.

Well done.

Do you think you are persona grata now?

20 hours ago, BLUENILE said:

I remember your case as I was applying for permanent residency at that time and had waited eight years and was considering similar action based on your precident.

I didn't realize at the time that you were harassed and went through so much.

Congratulations on beating the system.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 2:41 PM, Trujillo said:

"You will have your day alright but I fear not the one you expect."

Wanna bet? Put your money where your mouth is. Come on; I'm waiting....

You put your mouth where your money is. I know whats gonna happen you prove me wrong and I hope you do.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:08 PM, StevieAus said:

Not a bad principle to have if I may say.

I am a retired lawyer who specialized in a specific jurisdiction of the law in Australia.

My advice to my clients while denying myself fees was to try and avoid litigation if at all possible, when you allow another person ( a Judge ) to make the decision you lose control and there is usually only one winner and one loser.

Unfortunately many people make decisions based on emotion rather than cost and it is often to their detriment.

I have seen examples in the Family Law area drag on for years and at huge financial cost due to the stubbornness of the individual/s.

Very very sad.

my sister is a lawyer and says the same thing. she said its incredibly expensive to take issues to court

On 4/26/2019 at 5:50 AM, Teak said:

I mentioned this case awhile ago where a young Canadian boy was murdered by a Thai policeman, who then shot a young Canadian girl in Pai. She survived and sued the Royal Thai Police. She could only afford a young Thai female lawyer and it took ten years, but she was successful in court; was awarded a considerable settlement and after another year of waiting, the money was transferred to her.

This young lady was brave and tenacious. I would have walked away as my opinions are somewhat similar to other posters regarding  these situations. However, "might is right" did not seem to apply in this particular situation. However, being a young, female, attractive tourist can't hurt.

To be fair, a really big factor in that case was the amount of publicity it received in the Canadian and international press, putting pressure on the Thai police force in Pai. Even then, I believe the perpetrator was let out on bail and either assaulted or threatened another individual (could have been a Thai and not a foreigner but my recollection is foggy after all these years).

• 11 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, ezzra said:

30 odd years in this country and my experience with the local laws are mostly if not all, bad, the system here doesn't cater for foreigners, only Thais, i had a fair share of suing locals and a foreigner, lawyers are mostly are out for themselves, charging fortun for little results, my advice, avoid legal issues at all costs and specially lawyers, settle all disputes the best you can and be smart and you will save yourself lots of money, time and frustrations...

Hello, you are interested in sharing experience for our website: https://www.sea-proti.com/ and out page: https://www.facebook.com/SEAProTI/ ... please contact me at [email protected]. We will be happy to share your experience to other expats about Thai judicial system; so they will know and what to expect when living in Thailand.