Incense Burning health hazard

atyclb

wasnt sure where to post this but after some research i see breathing incense smoke is definitely a health hazard, which brings me to a rather unpleasant lunch experience.  as sole customer in a small airconditioned pricier bkk restaurant they decide to light multiple incense sticks at their indoor alter. then to further improve dining comfort they place a fan in front of alter and aim it at me.  awful trying to eat while breathing and smelling thick incense smoke. i turn off fan. still bad. i tell waitress that smoke makes it very uncomfortable to eat. waitress SMILES and walks away.  finally i take my food to an outdoor very hot table without fan.  eating in the bkk heat much better than breathing incense smoke.   customers cannot smoke inside an aircon restaurant but no problem burning multiple incense sticks for a similar effect.  time to revise medical criteria for mental retardation.

many articles online about incense smoke toxicity / health hazards. especially INDOOR USE

"

Incense has previously been linked to the development of lung cancer, childhood leukaemia and brain tumours.

Four incense smoke samples examined during the research contained 64 compounds, scientists found.

Most were not a significant threat to health, but ingredients in two of the samples were known to be highly toxic, researchers said.

https://www.todayonline.com/daily-focus/science/chinese-study-finds-incense-smoke-toxic

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150825083844.htm

Tell them you are allergic to incense. 

Thais know the word แพ้ and they know it is something not healthy ( even they have know idea what it is).

And next time dine in CM. The smoke from the incense is probably healthier than the normal air in CM.

My first wife died of lung cancer. She was never a cigarette smoker but she was a meditator and sat for one to two hours a day with  heavy incense smoke, often in a closed room. That's one way to achieve transcendence.

1 minute ago, drtreelove said:

My first wife died of lung cancer. She was never a cigarette smoker but she was a meditator and sat for one to two hours a day with  heavy incense smoke, often in a closed room. That's one way to achieve transcendence.

sorry to here that.

I've done some testing with my PM2.5 meter outside.. Very clean air, reading of 19, outside.. With a smoker up to 2m away reading is in the red at low 300s and with mosquito coil 400+..

I would think that exposure to incense burning sticks would be in the same parameters.. Extremely toxic and as bad or worse than passive smoking.. 

No doubt those cheap air refreshenizers available in grape, cherry, fruit punch and sugared pine are no less damaging to your health. Seems to me I remember having been to restaurants where they had cartridges of chemically smelling room refreshener rigged up to the misters on fans turreting back and forth making sure you and your food smell like some kind of cheap perfumy candy. Seems that many Thais feel that food in general smells bad, my wife seems unduly bothered by the smell of my and her own meals. So, perhaps the heavy incense keeps the owner, staff and many of the customers happier.  I'd probably take incense over the chemical room reshreshants, nothing refreshing at all about them, they smell like bug spray if you ask me so I can't imagine they are healthier than Thai incense. I'd order take out if the food were that good, so much more relaxing to eat at home than 90% of the restaurants anyway, no hassles with being ignored when you want to pay, when you'd like to see a menu, when you'd like to order, and like you say there is no awareness and/or concern with people's health and safety so its just better to get your food and get out of their/harm's way.

"However, he warns that one should not simply conclude that incense smoke is more toxic than cigarette smoke"

I hope, like most "sophisticated" Farangs, you went outside the restaurant after your meal and lit up a cigarette to calm yourself down after this unnerving incident? ????

51 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

"However, he warns that one should not simply conclude that incense smoke is more toxic than cigarette smoke"

I hope, like most "sophisticated" Farangs, you went outside the restaurant after your meal and lit up a cigarette to calm yourself down after this unnerving incident? ????

dont smoke

Archived