Tire trauma

Lacessit

My faithful Vios develops a flat tire. Cause is a nail, can happen to anyone. Change to the new spare, off to find a tire repairer. Large agency on Charoenmuang road, has all the necessary gear to separate tire from rim etc. Doesn't sell my favoured brand, Michelin. Take the flat tire from the boot/trunk, point out the nail still in the tire.

Head guy goes around my vehicle, puts on a worried expression, tires mai dee. Wants to sell me a new set. Obviously thinks I don't know what a tread wear indicator is for. I ask if he stocks Michelins, mai mee. I say mai ow. Repair is done reasonably quickly, 200 baht, quite reasonable IMHO.

The operator does a final test of the repair by putting the tire into a tub of water to check for leaks. He then carts it over to my boot/trunk, still dripping wet, and drops it in the spare wheel well. I control myself.

Back at the condo, I pull the tire out to dry, and wipe out the wheel well. Leave everything to dry out in the sun for half an hour.

Hasn't anyone in automotive or tire school taught these guys steel + water = rust? It would only take a a couple of minutes of compressed air to get rid of the residual water.

Perhaps they didn't have compressed air. I did notice they had a nitrogen-filling station, which is just another BS marketing tool like idle stop.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Hasn't anyone in automotive or tire school taught these guys steel + water = rust?

Well not the guy you used.

Before the tyre was put back in the trunk why not stop him. 

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Is your trunk made of unpainted 'steel'?

No. Paint won't protect steel in an enclosed environment when water hasn't got a chance to evaporate. That's why door flanges and fenders are the first to rust out. It's called crevice corrosion.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well not the guy you used.

Before the tyre was put back in the trunk why not stop him. 

And do or say what? If he's dumb enough to put a wet tire in there, I doubt my Thai is good enough to explain electrochemical phenomena to him.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No. Paint won't protect steel in an enclosed environment when water hasn't got a chance to evaporate. That's why door flanges and fenders are the first to rust out. It's called crevice corrosion.

Parked in 40 degree sunshine pretty much guarantees any water in the boot will evaporate.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Parked in 40 degree sunshine pretty much guarantees any water in the boot will evaporate.

You obviously know nothing about corrosion processes, presumably along with other subjects.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Like nooooo and stand in front of him.

Oh yes, I remember on other threads your consistent advice is to confront Thais. Do you do it when you are not behind a keyboard?

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You obviously know nothing about corrosion processes, presumably along with other subjects.

And you banging on about rusting "door flanges and fenders" obviously miss your cherished Ford Anglia and driving on salted, winter roads.

Or was it an Austin A60?

My faithful Vios develops a flat tire. Cause is a nail, can happen to anyone. Change to the new spare, off to find a tire repairer. Large agency on Charoenmuang road, has all the necessary gear to separate tire from rim etc. Doesn't sell my favoured brand, Michelin. Take the flat tire from the boot/trunk, point out the nail still in the tire.
Head guy goes around my vehicle, puts on a worried expression, tires mai dee. Wants to sell me a new set. Obviously thinks I don't know what a tread wear indicator is for. I ask if he stocks Michelins, mai mee. I say mai ow. Repair is done reasonably quickly, 200 baht, quite reasonable IMHO.
The operator does a final test of the repair by putting the tire into a tub of water to check for leaks. He then carts it over to my boot/trunk, still dripping wet, and drops it in the spare wheel well. I control myself.
Back at the condo, I pull the tire out to dry, and wipe out the wheel well. Leave everything to dry out in the sun for half an hour.
Hasn't anyone in automotive or tire school taught these guys steel + water = rust? It would only take a a couple of minutes of compressed air to get rid of the residual water.
Perhaps they didn't have compressed air. I did notice they had a nitrogen-filling station, which is just another BS marketing tool like idle stop.

You’ve been here how long?

And things like this STILL surprise you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

CLOSED

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Archived