Is this considered offensive?

Seducedbytheseas

3 hours ago, Seducedbytheseas said:

Our Thai friends asked to report him and we told our neighbor who gladly accepted to make a report.

If the police won't do anything let the Thais worry about it, is his place rented or bought. ?

• Like 2

There are worse things that are offensive in Thailand and the world.  I see it as art.  And freedom of speech. Couldn't care less.   

Edited by blackcab
Removed all italic font
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Interesting that it's written in English, now who would that be aimed at?

The OP didn't say, but I would assume the old guy is a farang.  Did the OP ever ask the guy who that sign was directed at or the guy's motivation?  Maybe he's an American and just communicating to the US President.  (joking)

• Sad 1

I would think more likely a Thai.  Any ferlung showing this is really taking a chance.  Last week I was getting a service done on my Forza at GWH when a radioactive green one went past and in 2" high letters was written  on the side  ' NO <deleted> , NO RIDE '   I don't think this was a Honda quote. Oh and replace the** with uc.

The guy is a farang and the sign was apparently aimed at neighbors who have had many issues with him. The post was meant to get an opinion on whether the sign is offensive (to neighbors with children, the flags of Thailand and Kingdom, etc.). We have signed a petition several months ago to get him to take the sign down (yes, there are more signs in front and in back of his home) after he refused our requests to take them down. Since the police did nothing, we thought about the offensiveness of the sign positioned directly in front of the Thai flags. Surely, if the right people who monitor the Thai Penal Code Laws saw this, they may have something to say. A visiting Thai friend from Bangkok saw this sign and prompted the neighbor to report it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seducedbytheseas said:

The guy is a farang and the sign was apparently aimed at neighbors who have had many issues with him. The post was meant to get an opinion on whether the sign is offensive (to neighbors with children, the flags of Thailand and Kingdom, etc.). We have signed a petition several months ago to get him to take the sign down (yes, there are more signs in front and in back of his home) after he refused our requests to take them down. Since the police did nothing, we thought about the offensiveness of the sign positioned directly in front of the Thai flags. Surely, if the right people who monitor the Thai Penal Code Laws saw this, they may have something to say. A visiting Thai friend from Bangkok saw this sign and prompted the neighbor to report it.

Thanks for the clarification.  Regarding whether it's offensive, I believe a sign in a foreign language may not have the same impact as one written in the local language.  Imagine a vulgar sign in Chinese posted on someone's house in America.  Most people would have no idea and even if told, would probably shrug their shoulders.  I suppose if he's living in a gated community, he would have to abide by certain community rules/standards.  Then it would be up to the community to ensure he complies....not really a law enforcement thing. 

The hospital in your area must overrun with people suffering from offendediitis. I wish them all the best, and hope they recover soon. I know how mentally and physically debilitating being offended can be for some people.

• Thanks 1

I have seen t shirts displaying the same.

Have seen t shirts displaying worse,there is a shop at chattuchak

market that has the same sign.

If the old guy does nothing else i would just leave him be.

Someone said something about explaining this to children,i bet they have seen or will see a lot more offensive stuff in their live time.

Like the Eagles said,'get over it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1