90 year-old Don is leaving Thailand

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

What percentage of the 0.0036% of the population do you think would be most effective?

Because that's the proportion of western expats in Thailand's population.

That's nonsense. There are 69,000,000 people living in Thailand.

69,000,000 * 0.0036 / 100 = 2484 expats. I think there are more than 2500 expats living here .....

Maybe you actually meant 0.36% for a total of 250,000 expats?

As I recall from your previous post...you had the resources to meet immigrations requirements...but balked at losing control over the 800,000 baht...

I fear you have made a poor decision moving to another country at your age...without friends or family support...what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

Not in ovens just in planes to a better place or so they keep telling us. And never forget it wasnt about the money because they all have it. It was about the smiles or having to pay double in a national park or some other nonsense [emoji849]
You're now playing games and conflating irrelevant anecdotes from random posts and not addressing the larger picture.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Could you afford to live here on the salary you earned 25 years ago, even if the OP worked until 65????

as being 90 years of age, probably yes I would... Also adding into this "stew".. he start to compain about the lack of smiles and the greed of the thai people...  What´s new under the sun (moon)??? Being here for the lst 25 years he shoyld be aware for a long tim ago that status of this country...

glegolo

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

as being 90 years of age, probably yes I would... Also adding into this "stew".. he start to compain about the lack of smiles and the greed of the thai people...  What´s new under the sun (moon)??? Being here for the lst 25 years he shoyld be aware for a long tim ago that status of this country...

glegolo

What do you thing the purchasing power of your income now will be in 25 years time? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nkg said:

69,000,000 * 0.0036 / 100 = 2484 expats. I think there are more than 2500 expats living here .....

Yes your calculations are right, also 250,000 expats for 65.000x12 = 195 milliards baths every year + 250,000 expats x 800.000 = 200 milliards baths deposit on the Thais banks and I not speaking about how many milliards baths farangs investments home, business...

Same one believed we have noting to said on this country ? If many expat decided leave the smile country ?

Edited by ICELANDMAN

Just now, Thailand Outcast said:

What do you thing the purchasing power of your income now will be in 25 years time? 

You need to come out of your english "loop".. I think at least you must be english.... My income is reglated as the most by index, so I know of course that I will have less, but still be able to live on it......

glegolo

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

In over 10 years I still only have one Thai bank account.

Why would anyone need more??

I went about 10 with a single account, then decided to tuck some away in  a FD, then got a Thai CC and that needed another FD account. Then a tax rebate obligating an account at another bank. But I can certainly envisage many having a solitary account. KISS method? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Yes your calculations are right, also 250,000 expats for 65.000x12 = 195 milliards baths every years + 250,000 expats x 800.000 = 200 milliards baths deposit on the Thais bank

Same one believed we have noting to said on this country ? If many expat decided leave the smile country ?

You guys are living in a dreamworld,. Come out for God sake and see the sunshine. There are quite a lot of english and american and australia expats here in Thailand, but what the <deleted> dont you understand, that all the rest of us expats (majority), is NOT of your nationalities..... We are having income-letters and do NOT deposit any 800K in the bank. My God gets real and do not talk for the whole world... 

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You need to come out of your english "loop".. I think at least you must be english.... My income is reglated as the most by index, so I know of course that I will have less, but still be able to live on it......

glegolo

Great.  If you can see 25 years into the future for the global, and the Thai economy, perhaps you can tell me what stocks and bonds will be worth 20 times more, in 25 years.  ????

Just now, Thailand Outcast said:

Great.  If you can see 25 years into the future for the global, and the Thai economy, perhaps you can tell me what stocks and bonds will be worth 20 times more, in 25 years.  ????

So what you are saying is that I need to have an income in about 25 years of time that is 20 times what I have now in order to survive.....  I say Bullshit with capital B on top of that..

glegolo

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I went about 10 with a single account, then decided to tuck some away in  a FD, then got a Thai CC and that needed another FD account. Then a tax rebate obligating an account at another bank. But I can certainly envisage many having a solitary account. KISS method? 

Yeah, thinking about it, I did have a second account, that FD deposit for my credit card.

Another worthless use of money!

5 hours ago, nkg said:

I understand Chiang Mai alone has somewhere north of 50,000 expats.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I understand Chiang Mai alone has somewhere north of 50,000 expats.

I think you have to be careful about numbers.

This is an old chart from wiki, but I doubt the relative numbers have changed much.

Western expats are a minority of the total expat population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.48.02 PM.png

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Times have changed...good ol glory days of Woodstock in Thailand are long over.  Wish it weren't...but as some on TVF has said, there are other adventurous countries that are much more welcoming, safer, and a immigration system that fosters acceptance...Thailand is NO longer the Elysium of hedonism.

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you have to be careful about numbers.

This is an old chart from wiki, but I doubt the relative numbers have changed much.

Western expats are a minority of the total expat population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.48.02 PM.png

I hardly ever meet any Germans these days, quite different from 15 years ago. Have a feeling they've found some better places to retire.

32 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I hardly ever meet any Germans these days, quite different from 15 years ago. Have a feeling they've found some better places to retire.

Tot. 172.975 + Others... included also foreigners form Australia, NZ, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy, Spain, Belgium,Holland and....

Edited by ICELANDMAN