Removing Unwanted Water Lillies From A Lake

UKJASE

hey guys - we live on a moo baan that is around a 4 rai lake.  the lake is about 1 - 2 metres deep.

one of the neighbours put a few water lillies into the lake in front of her house, and now they are spreading rapidly.  in about 6 months they have covered about a rai of the lake (see pictures)

they are the water lillie type that has the big pink flower, that only lasts one day, and all the petals fall off.  and also the type that people sometimes eat the seeds out of.  not exactly sure if they are called "water lillies" but hopefully you know the type i mean

anyway, we are worried that the whole lake is soon covered in these lillies, and will become a permanent (ugly IMO) feature.  the water in the area of the lillies is no longer visible, as the lillies are so densely packed ????

does anyone know an easy way to either confine them to one area of the lake (not easy i feel, as they are spreading so rapidly), or to remove them / kill them?

if i go in with a blade and remove them all, will they simply just grow back the following week?

hope you can help...... 

lillies1.jpg

lillies2.jpg

sorry, they are not being farmed for "edibles".  they were put in purely for decoration.  they have just grown much faster than the lady expected, and now encroach on everyone else's properties too

Those are Lotus flowers,if the lake does not belong to you

you would need to consult the other owners in the Moo Bahn,

as Lotus flowers have special meaning for Buddhists,and they

might not take kindly to you for destroying them.

regards worgeordie

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Those are Lotus flowers,if the lake does not belong to you

you would need to consult the other owners in the Moo Bahn,

as Lotus flowers have special meaning for Buddhists,and they

might not take kindly to you for destroying them.

regards worgeordie

thanks WorGeordie.  one house on the lake hates them and wants them out.  The owner of the lake says he will get the gardner to remove them, but he lives back from the lake and hasnt been around much of late, and so maybe is unaware of how quickly they are spreading.  i am just worried that we are passing a point of no return soon, where the roots will have spread throughout the lake, and we will be eating lotus seeds for breakfast for ever ????

1 hour ago, UKJASE said:

does anyone know an easy way to either confine them to one area of the lake (not easy i feel, as they are spreading so rapidly), or to remove them / kill them?

Did you ask Google?

Apparently good number of articles on how to kill or remove them... :ermm:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=removing+lotus+from+lake

https://www.gardenguides.com/139318-kill-lotus-plants-pond.html

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Lily-Pads

etc.

Seriously, if you want rid of them permanently, put a few geese in the pond. They love them and will dive down to pull up the root. That's what happened to the same lillies in our pond (3/4 rai) when we put geese in. The lillies have never grown back either. And roast goose at the end.....hmmm, lovely 

Other than geese which was Brollies excellent suggestion, the only way to remove them is by their roots as others have said.  I have them in one of my ponds but it does take a lot of husbandry to ensure they are kept under control.

I too had considered geese but whilst geese are super watch dogs, or should that be watch fowl ? they still get stolen by the local Thai thieves,  mainly they are shot and injured then stolen.

25 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Other than geese which was Brollies excellent suggestion, the only way to remove them is by their roots as others have said.  I have them in one of my ponds but it does take a lot of husbandry to ensure they are kept under control.

I too had considered geese but whilst geese are super watch dogs, or should that be watch fowl ? they still get stolen by the local Thai thieves,  mainly they are shot and injured then stolen.

You got some dodgy neighbours there mate. Maybe, if all the neighbours chipped-in to buy a few they wouldn't disappear? Thais like the eggs too if you get a gander. I used to love watching them swimming round the pond with their chicks, attacking the ducks who were trying to mate. Very funny. 

2 minutes ago, grollies said:

You got some dodgy neighbours there mate. Maybe, if all the neighbours chipped-in to buy a few they wouldn't disappear? Thais like the eggs too if you get a gander. I used to love watching them swimming round the pond with their chicks, attacking the ducks who were trying to mate. Very funny. 

Not neighbors, the thieving toe rags come from other villages around.  Use to have a problem with the same people trying to steal my fish. The submerged razor wire I put around the edge when the water level was low and then got covered during the rainy season appeared to deter them, but then the pond is only just over 1 rai   P$ssed them of no doubt but no trouble since for 4 years.

20 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Not neighbors, the thieving toe rags come from other villages around.  Use to have a problem with the same people trying to steal my fish. The submerged razor wire I put around the edge when the water level was low and then got covered during the rainy season appeared to deter them, but then the pond is only just over 1 rai   P$ssed them of no doubt but no trouble since for 4 years.

I know what you mean. We put large tree branches under water when we just used to visit home once a year. They got fed up of losing their nets. Pulled the branches out when we came here permanently.

5 minutes ago, grollies said:

I know what you mean. We put large tree branches under water when we just used to visit home once a year. They got fed up of losing their nets. Pulled the branches out when we came here permanently.

Plus a friend of the family who lived in the "village of thieves"  suggested to the suspects that ghosts would hurt them if they went into the water.  So not sure if it was the physical deterrent or the uneducated mindset believing in ghosts that stopped it, but all good now.

i have just ordered some 

c6cf32585d1d674728f06d73116f5f55.jpg

Ordered on lazada of all places!!

will that do the trick if sprayed on the leaves?  google seemed to think so, but i know these leaves just seem to have the water run off the leaves very quickly as they seem so waterproof (if that's the right word)

will application be easy?  it is safe for other plants under the water, plus fish, plus humans i read. 

i will test it on a few lotus plants that are in a small brook nearby first.

What do you knowledgable people think?

i have just ordered some 
c6cf32585d1d674728f06d73116f5f55.jpg&key=3d3ac97b412438d71fcf1ebf6cde33b63139089a2c0f235d75508ea4ea9717d9 Glyphosate Herbicide   Ordered on lazada of all places!!   will that do the trick if sprayed on the leaves?  google seemed to think so, but i know these leaves just seem to have the water run off the leaves very quickly as they seem so waterproof (if that's the right word)   will application be easy?  it is safe for other plants under the water, plus fish, plus humans i read.    i will test it on a few lotus plants that are in a small brook nearby first.   What do you knowledgable people think?
Glyphosate is not safe for application in water nor it has ever been approved for that.
It will only pollute the water and kill the green leaves but the roots and tubers will not be affected and the plants will re-grow.
Have you tried to contact the management of the moo ban? It's their duty to take care of the landscape. Obviously you need a small boat and someone in the water to remove the whole plant.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

Glyphosate is not safe for application in water nor it has ever been approved for that.
It will only pollute the water and kill the green leaves but the roots and tubers will not be affected and the plants will re-grow.
Have you tried to contact the management of the moo ban? It's their duty to take care of the landscape. Obviously you need a small boat and someone in the water to remove the whole plant.

using google, i found a few sites that recommended it

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/american-lotus/

unfortunately our moo ban is small and has no management system for such matters i am afraid

unfortunately our moo ban is small and has no management system for such matters i am afraid
Why not try this:

"Introduce aquatic-plant-eating animals to your pond. Turtles, pond snails, and many pond fish, such as koi or grass carps, eat lotus and kill the plants for you."

Again, I would not pour any herbicide into the water.

1 hour ago, UKJASE said:

i have just ordered some 

will that do the trick if sprayed on the leaves?  google seemed to think so, but i know these leaves just seem to have the water run off the leaves very quickly as they seem so waterproof (if that's the right word)

will application be easy?  it is safe for other plants under the water, plus fish, plus humans i read. 

Not much. Crap idea, stop bunging chemicals around when there are natural remedies. You have been here too long, Thais bung chemical on everything. Take note of CLW comment above.  'Safe' for humans? Ha ha, haven't you been reading the news lately? Sad to read your solution, very sad. 

2 hours ago, UKJASE said:

i have just ordered some 

Safe for humans ? Did you not see the warning signs on the label of that very picture ?

Glyphosate is certainly not safe for humans, or the environment.

Apart from that, think about the practicality of spraying leaves in the middle of the lake .....are you just going to spray it willynilly from the bank which means most of it will either go into the water or get blown around on the wind, contaminating everything and everybody. Lotus seeds are a popular snack, what if somebody eats the seeds that you have just poisoned ?

And apart from all that too, why do you think you have the right to remove the lotus plants just because you don’t like them ?

At least they are not water hyacinth. Most Thai ponds will have some water plants covering part of the pond to provide shade for fish in the pond. Don't use chemicals in the water, as it is never without consequences to fish, or other animals and people. Create a floating barrier to contain them and then just get someone to pull up anything outside that. Most water plants help remove nutrients from the water, make great compost and provide a natural habitat for insects which in turn feed the fish.

We had a similar situation on our small moo baan a few year back.  The lotus flowers covered all the lake, and when they are not flowering they look really ugly, dead leaves, ragged and bare stalks.  

I used to keep a few pet bantam chickens and my friend gave me 2 Muscovy ducks.  I decided I would let the ducks swim on the lake in the daytime.  Well, they loved the lotus plants so much that within only a few weeks just these 2 ducks had eaten the lot, even the roots, so the plants never came back.

I also got delicious eggs from the female duck and they make nice pets.  These kind of ducks don't quack or make any noise (geese are very noisy), are friendly and funny to watch.  They don't need big areas of water like most ducks, these kind are happy with a small children's paddling pool or cement bath mixer thing.  

Would you consider getting a pair for your lake?  You can easily train them to come to you for food and keep them locked up in a pen when they are not out on the lake.  

image.png.9af4d22e3a0349107d2a777630a6c86a.png

Agree, ducks love water plants and in return should keep you in meat ( if you eat it ) and eggs through out the year.

Trouble is of course, other people like to eat too ,,, !

I have worked in the duck industry here, and other countries, for many years, good old duck weed was quickly cleared from settlement ponds on farms that weren't too worried about disease risks to the rest of their flocks.

Anything green - they love.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

We had a similar situation on our small moo baan a few year back.  The lotus flowers covered all the lake, and when they are not flowering they look really ugly, dead leaves, ragged and bare stalks.  

I used to keep a few pet bantam chickens and my friend gave me 2 Muscovy ducks.  I decided I would let the ducks swim on the lake in the daytime.  Well, they loved the lotus plants so much that within only a few weeks just these 2 ducks had eaten the lot, even the roots, so the plants never came back.

I also got delicious eggs from the female duck and they make nice pets.  These kind of ducks don't quack or make any noise (geese are very noisy), are friendly and funny to watch.  They don't need big areas of water like most ducks, these kind are happy with a small children's paddling pool or cement bath mixer thing.  

Would you consider getting a pair for your lake?  You can easily train them to come to you for food and keep them locked up in a pen when they are not out on the lake.  

image.png.9af4d22e3a0349107d2a777630a6c86a.png

this sounds like solution of the day for sure!!  i think even my miserable neighbours could not argue about this!!

you are right - the lotus plants look VERY ugly.  we bought this land by a lake entirely because of the lake, and the soon to be total coverage of the surface of the lake by these very ugly plants will spoil our environment completely.

Any idea buddy where i can get two Muscovy ducks?  are they common in thailand?  will they cost much?  do you think they will stay on the lake without wanting to venture away?

Thanks Jak for this idea ????

12 hours ago, UKJASE said:

Keep in mind that Monsanto, who developed glyphosate (Roundup) has spent $$ millions on junk science to keep selling it, and Bayer, who bought Monsanto have $$ billions in product (cancer) liability, so it's in their best interest to keep any negative information away from the public.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/health/us-glyphosate-cancer-study-scli-intl/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/07/monsanto-trial-cancer-appeal-glyphosate-chemical

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/06/the-weedkiller-in-our-food-is-killing-us

I'm not passing judgment on the product since I don't hold myself out as an expert.  I don't trust the data funded by the manufacturer, or by the ambulance chasers. 

I do detest Monsanto, but for other reasons related to GMO and despicable practices related to patents.

Kind of sad to see no safety disclaimers in the aquaplant link from my old Alma Mater...

16 hours ago, UKJASE said:

this sounds like solution of the day for sure!!  i think even my miserable neighbours could not argue about this!!

you are right - the lotus plants look VERY ugly.  we bought this land by a lake entirely because of the lake, and the soon to be total coverage of the surface of the lake by these very ugly plants will spoil our environment completely.

Any idea buddy where i can get two Muscovy ducks?  are they common in thailand?  will they cost much?  do you think they will stay on the lake without wanting to venture away?

Thanks Jak for this idea ????

I think they are the most commonly kept / farmed domestic duck here.

You can buy them as ducklings from livestock farmer markets or order them online from hatcheries.  If you see some in the rice fields or on a farm you can just ask if the farmer will sell you a couple.  I think you wife will find them easy on the net or in a newspaper, asks a few friends etc.  

When you get them keep them penned up till they are tame and used to you and their home, then you can let them free range and they will come back no problem.  They eat normal chicken food, and you can also feed them vegetables and leftover rice.

The males get so big and fat they can't fly.  It's best to clip the females wings if she starts to fly off sometimes (but usually they stick around). Make sure you lock them up securely at night to protect them from dogs, snakes and other nighttime predators.  

On 4/25/2019 at 10:39 AM, jak2002003 said:

I think they are the most commonly kept / farmed domestic duck here.

You can buy them as ducklings from livestock farmer markets or order them online from hatcheries.  If you see some in the rice fields or on a farm you can just ask if the farmer will sell you a couple.  I think you wife will find them easy on the net or in a newspaper, asks a few friends etc.  

When you get them keep them penned up till they are tame and used to you and their home, then you can let them free range and they will come back no problem.  They eat normal chicken food, and you can also feed them vegetables and leftover rice.

The males get so big and fat they can't fly.  It's best to clip the females wings if she starts to fly off sometimes (but usually they stick around). Make sure you lock them up securely at night to protect them from dogs, snakes and other nighttime predators.  

Jak - am i right in saying that these ducks are called "Ped Uan" by the locals....  เป็ดอ้วน

any links on the sort of penn that they like and that will be suitable for them in the hot weather of hua hin?  i have two dogs too, who will be inquisitive to have a look i am sure

5 hours ago, UKJASE said:

Jak - am i right in saying that these ducks are called "Ped Uan" by the locals....  เป็ดอ้วน

any links on the sort of penn that they like and that will be suitable for them in the hot weather of hua hin?  i have two dogs too, who will be inquisitive to have a look i am sure

Don't know about that Thai name.  I just called them เป็ด น้าสีแดง and the people always knew what I meant... but sure that is just my name for them... red face duck. lol.  Also show them photo of one on my phone. 

Just a pair would be good enough in a big dog crate.  The poop can fall through the wires in the bottom and it will stay cleaner too.  You can let them out of it to roam the yard so long as your dogs are OK with them (not going to eat them).  When they are on the lake you can just put their feed in the cage and call them back in for the night.  

You can get some ideas off you tube for bigger or more fancy pens.

Archived