BANGKOK 19 May 2019 16:29
UKJASE

Removing Unwanted Water Lillies From A Lake

hey guys - we live on a moo baan that is around a 4 rai lake.  the lake is about 1 - 2 metres deep.

one of the neighbours put a few water lillies into the lake in front of her house, and now they are spreading rapidly.  in about 6 months they have covered about a rai of the lake (see pictures)

they are the water lillie type that has the big pink flower, that only lasts one day, and all the petals fall off.  and also the type that people sometimes eat the seeds out of.  not exactly sure if they are called "water lillies" but hopefully you know the type i mean

anyway, we are worried that the whole lake is soon covered in these lillies, and will become a permanent (ugly IMO) feature.  the water in the area of the lillies is no longer visible, as the lillies are so densely packed 😞

does anyone know an easy way to either confine them to one area of the lake (not easy i feel, as they are spreading so rapidly), or to remove them / kill them?

if i go in with a blade and remove them all, will they simply just grow back the following week?

hope you can help...... 

lillies1.jpg

lillies2.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the plants have to be pulled out by the roots. No quick fix I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sorry, they are not being farmed for "edibles".  they were put in purely for decoration.  they have just grown much faster than the lady expected, and now encroach on everyone else's properties too

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Those are Lotus flowers,if the lake does not belong to you

you would need to consult the other owners in the Moo Bahn,

as Lotus flowers have special meaning for Buddhists,and they

might not take kindly to you for destroying them.

regards worgeordie

thanks WorGeordie.  one house on the lake hates them and wants them out.  The owner of the lake says he will get the gardner to remove them, but he lives back from the lake and hasnt been around much of late, and so maybe is unaware of how quickly they are spreading.  i am just worried that we are passing a point of no return soon, where the roots will have spread throughout the lake, and we will be eating lotus seeds for breakfast for ever 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKJASE said:

does anyone know an easy way to either confine them to one area of the lake (not easy i feel, as they are spreading so rapidly), or to remove them / kill them?

Did you ask Google?

Apparently good number of articles on how to kill or remove them... :ermm:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=removing+lotus+from+lake

https://www.gardenguides.com/139318-kill-lotus-plants-pond.html

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Lily-Pads

etc.

• Like 1

Seriously, if you want rid of them permanently, put a few geese in the pond. They love them and will dive down to pull up the root. That's what happened to the same lillies in our pond (3/4 rai) when we put geese in. The lillies have never grown back either. And roast goose at the end.....hmmm, lovely 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Other than geese which was Brollies excellent suggestion, the only way to remove them is by their roots as others have said.  I have them in one of my ponds but it does take a lot of husbandry to ensure they are kept under control.

I too had considered geese but whilst geese are super watch dogs, or should that be watch fowl ? they still get stolen by the local Thai thieves,  mainly they are shot and injured then stolen.

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Other than geese which was Brollies excellent suggestion, the only way to remove them is by their roots as others have said.  I have them in one of my ponds but it does take a lot of husbandry to ensure they are kept under control.

I too had considered geese but whilst geese are super watch dogs, or should that be watch fowl ? they still get stolen by the local Thai thieves,  mainly they are shot and injured then stolen.

You got some dodgy neighbours there mate. Maybe, if all the neighbours chipped-in to buy a few they wouldn't disappear? Thais like the eggs too if you get a gander. I used to love watching them swimming round the pond with their chicks, attacking the ducks who were trying to mate. Very funny. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grollies said:

You got some dodgy neighbours there mate. Maybe, if all the neighbours chipped-in to buy a few they wouldn't disappear? Thais like the eggs too if you get a gander. I used to love watching them swimming round the pond with their chicks, attacking the ducks who were trying to mate. Very funny. 

Not neighbors, the thieving toe rags come from other villages around.  Use to have a problem with the same people trying to steal my fish. The submerged razor wire I put around the edge when the water level was low and then got covered during the rainy season appeared to deter them, but then the pond is only just over 1 rai   P$ssed them of no doubt but no trouble since for 4 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Not neighbors, the thieving toe rags come from other villages around.  Use to have a problem with the same people trying to steal my fish. The submerged razor wire I put around the edge when the water level was low and then got covered during the rainy season appeared to deter them, but then the pond is only just over 1 rai   P$ssed them of no doubt but no trouble since for 4 years.

I know what you mean. We put large tree branches under water when we just used to visit home once a year. They got fed up of losing their nets. Pulled the branches out when we came here permanently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grollies said:

I know what you mean. We put large tree branches under water when we just used to visit home once a year. They got fed up of losing their nets. Pulled the branches out when we came here permanently.

Plus a friend of the family who lived in the "village of thieves"  suggested to the suspects that ghosts would hurt them if they went into the water.  So not sure if it was the physical deterrent or the uneducated mindset believing in ghosts that stopped it, but all good now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

they still get stolen by the local Thai thieves,  mainly they are shot and injured then stolen.

Never had any geese stolen !!! Had 2 run over by a prat with a sidecar once, but thats it....

check out DICHLOBENIL (LUXAN) on google see if this kills the type of lillies you have....

Does NOT KILL ANY FISH .....

Or try get some Clarosan F 1

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1