Cannabinoid extract ‘works for cancer’

webfact

Cannabinoid extract ‘works for cancer’

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

623a5155e3fde30ef9db812b8fafcfef-sld.jpe

A Thai medical researcher at the Rangsit University displays marijuana extract in a laboratory of the Medicinal Cannabis Research Centre, inside the Rangsit University (RSU) in Bangkok yesterday. // EPA-EFE PHOTO

Rangsit University researchers ready to test potential lung-cancer treatment with clinical trials on Humans.

A RANGSIT University research team has revealed that its studies had shown a cannabinoid extract could help treat lung cancer.

Asst Professor Surang Leelawat, director of the newly founded Medical Cannabis Research Institute of the College of Pharmacy at Rangsit University, revealed the breakthrough at a press conference at the opening ceremony of the institute yesterday.

8c8ee42d05825a80c4569ada7f39063d.jpeg

Surang said her team of researchers had found that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinol (CBN), which are extracted from cannabis, can stop the growth of lung cancer cells in mice and thus offer the promise of becoming new anti-lung-cancer agents in humans.

Surang said this was another step forward in finding an effective treatment that could save many lives, as lung cancer is one of the deadliest cancers and there was no effective way yet to treat this fatal disease.

“Our clinical trials in the laboratory and on animals of the lung-cancer treatment proficiency of three major cannabinoid compounds – THC, CBD [Cannibidiol], and CBN – showed that THC and CBN can effectively deter cancer growth, confirming the potential of using cannabis to treat lung cancer in humans,” she said. “Even though it is too early to claim that cannabis can cure cancer, this promising research result will be developed further through a phase of clinical trials in humans. We hope that we will find an effective treatment for lung cancer in the near future.”

a239c18c682c4e2c0f9cafc332d86604.jpeg

A Thai medical researcher at the Rangsit University displays marijuana extract for use in marijuana-based medicines at a laboratory of the Medicinal Cannabis Research Centre, inside the Rangsit University (RSU) in Bangkok, Thailand, 23 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO

Rangsit University rector Arthit Ourairat praised the major breakthrough as another proof of the usefulness of cannabis for medical treatment, underlining the university’s pursuit of further medical cannabis research and development efforts by setting up a new institute.

Arthit said the university had already contacted some major hospitals to work together for human trials in the development of cannabinoid medicine for treating lung cancer.

“As Rangsit University has opened the Medical Cannabis Research Institute to be a focal institution to develop medicines and new medical treatment techniques from cannabis, we are not only focusing on developing conventional cannabinoid medicines, but also improving the use of medical cannabis in Thai traditional medicine and developing other medical products from cannabis as well,” he said. He revealed that Rangsit University had already obtained official permission to grow cannabis and to conduct research on medical cannabis.

The university has invested more than Bt40 million on procuring high-tech medical research equipment for the laboratory at the new research institute, and has built its own small closed-system cannabis farm to provide raw material for the medical cannabis research.

“We are the pioneering academic institute on medical cannabis research and development in Thailand. We started the first research effort on the medical properties of cannabis three years ago, so we have great potential to lead the mission to manufacture Thailand’s own efficient and safe cannabinoid medical products,” he said.

“With the opening of the new medical cannabis research institute, we can enhance our research efforts by pooling the expertise of all related colleges and faculties in our university and can greatly improve our progress to find better healthcare for all Thai citizens from medical cannabis.”

11f22d56807f54e1642d4fb07f763f82.jpeg

Famira Madaka, a Medical Cannabis Research Institute researcher, revealed that right now the institute has already created a technique to extract pure cannabinoid compounds – THC, CBD, and CBN – from cannabis, which will be used to develop new medicines.

The institute also has already successfully developed four medical cannabis products – cannabis wafer tablets, traditional Thai Phrasa-Kancha recipe, cannabis oil and CBN oramucosal spray – which will be ready for commercial sale soon.

Meanwhile, Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) chairman Dr Sopon Mekthon disclosed that the cannabis plants in the GPO’s medical cannabis research and development farm will be ready for harvest soon, allowing the agency to start the process to extract cannabis oil within this July.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368232

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24

Bravo!

Always happy to see this type of research happening and promoted. Hopefully, it will spawn some good mature dialogue about cannabis-based medicine in this forum rather than so many of the meaningless "Reefer Madness" type of comments that are made here. 

With all the caveats that go along with unconventional treatments, Thailand would score a grand slam home run on medical tourism if this pans out.

Because Big Pharma would make 100% sure that an economical treatment for cancer would never see the light of day in the USA or Europe.  The only option for victims will be flying to a country like Thailand where they don't throw doctors in jail for getting crosswise with Big Pharma's FDA.

Fingers crossed that they succeed.

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

Why didn't they offer the poor critter in the photo a spliff instead of needling him up .. I mean he'll be on the skag next once hypo's get involved .. 

& then on to be a 'working mouse' - poor bugger.

Ok, seriously, the comment by Impulse hits the nail on the head.

The cost of some Cancer drugs is stupendously high, & for Thailand to perhaps find a compound that makes a difference, would be marvellous.

Indeed, using Cannabinoids for Chemo sickness is supposed to be effective. Rather than taking yet another tablet - probably produced by the same Pharmaceutical company.

46 minutes ago, impulse said:

With all the caveats that go along with unconventional treatments, Thailand would score a grand slam home run on medical tourism if this pans out.

Because Big Pharma would make 100% sure that an economical treatment for cancer would never see the light of day in the USA or Europe.  The only option for victims will be flying to a country like Thailand where they don't throw doctors in jail for getting crosswise with Big Pharma's FDA.

Fingers crossed that they succeed.

I think this is slowly slipping out of Big Pharmas control...more and more cannabis is gaining speed and becoming more widely accesable..

Without wanting to put a downer on the whole story, the headline and the actual detail of the story are two quite widely divergent ideas

"Cannabinoid works for cancer" when compared to  "..its studies had shown a cannabinoid extract could help treat lung cancer ....in mice."  These are very different claims and to interpret or present those claims as cannabinoid being an effective treatment for cancer in the human population is simply wrong (at this stage).  There is literally no details here to explain how cannabinoid gave these results in this experiment, i.e. the biochemical mechanism cannabinoid used to 'attack' the tumor cells.

At this stage stick with smoking a joint, whose therapeutic properties are far better and well known as a treatment for any type of cancer.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Without wanting to put a downer on the whole story, the headline and the actual detail of the story are two quite widely divergent ideas

"Cannabinoid works for cancer" when compared to  "..its studies had shown a cannabinoid extract could help treat lung cancer ....in mice."  These are very different claims and to interpret or present those claims as cannabinoid being an effective treatment for cancer in the human population is simply wrong (at this stage).  There is literally no details here to explain how cannabinoid gave these results in this experiment, i.e. the biochemical mechanism cannabinoid used to 'attack' the tumor cells.

At this stage stick with smoking a joint, whose therapeutic properties are far better and well known as a treatment for any type of cancer.

I have to admit that my main news source for Thailand is this forum, and I've found the headlines often to be sensationalized. Once one reads the actual item, then the toned-down truth comes out -- sort of like the National Enquirer  ????

I agree that smoking cannabis can deliver good therapeutically beneficial medicine in an ongoing format, and the scientists in the article admit that they don't profess to have found a definite cure for lung cancer, but the execution and promotion of this type of research is important, I think.  

There have been anecdotal instances of cancer being cured by the use of cannabinoids, with the development and use of RSO (Rick Simpson Oil) being one of the most widely publicized, and there are other cases that very strongly indicate that cannabis is a substance well worthy of investigating for a wide array of effective medicine.     

I wonder if they are testing their raw materials and extract for pesticides and heavy metals?
Because where does the raw materials come from? Older news reported they are using confiscated weed.
The plants from the GPO facility will be not ready before 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

True - and the actual words of the researcher quoted in the article, Professor Surang Leelawat, put it even more clearly (and pretty much contradict the claim made in the article headline):

it is too early to claim that cannabis can cure cancer

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Why didn't they offer the poor critter in the photo a spliff instead of needling him up .. I mean he'll be on the skag next once hypo's get involved .. 

Would love to know if a spliff would work...wonder if they need research volunteers?

On 4/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, jonclark said:

I believe no research unless it is replicated in a peer-reviewed scientific journal in the Western world. This is misleading at best and giving false hope at worst. 

From 19/10/2017 (Australia) https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources/2017-10-19-Medicinal-Cannabis-Prof-Grimison.pdf looks to me Thais either do not read medical references or they simply steal someone else's work, but then we have had 2 Thai research centres making announcements in the last few days, I smell a grub for cash. Cures for AIDS, EBOLA... yeah, Thailand, the hub for BS. Thailand should be renamed to ThailandBSN... Thailand Bulls#%t Nation.

I would say the article headline should rather be:

Researchers in Thailand replicate previous foreign experiments of treatment of lung cancer cells with Thai cannabis extract

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We walked past a street food Cafe the other night.  My wife said she smelled ganja.  I said Oh really, because I smelled anise...

She said yes, they add it to the soup stock, for relaxation, soothes tired muscles and puts you in a good mood.

I said, sounds great, let's try it tonight. ????

Always walk the path of God, not synthetics from a factory (pharmaceuticals) made by man.

bae60351beec5a4c88d16b177aa6464c.jpg

On 4/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, ozmeldo said:

Smoke weed - cure lung cancer

Errrrr riiiiight

Not smoking it,  ingesting more likely, similar results found in Universities in Israel and as I recall on of the Scandinavian ones 

Archived