denied at bkk, waiting in detention

You guys think there is a big difference from having an SETV versus visa exempt when crossing via land border?

I ask because by the time I get to a thai consulate or an agency to process the visa for me, it will be thursday or friday, which means I will not receive the visa until next week. Meanwhile if visa exempt is not much different, I can do that as early as tomorrow morning (I land in Phnom Penh at ~9:30pm and then I'd just hire a car to drive me directly to the friendliest border in Cambodia, not sure where that is yet but looks like it'll be a 5-7h drive)

5 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Why did you sign that form? They're going to force you back to canada and make you pay for the flight yourself

It is very unlikely he will be forced back to Canada. Usually, the default is to return him to Phnom Penh (his last embarkation point) but this is negotiable with the airline (assuming your airline representative is around to discuss it with).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, borderlesss said:

I have already started looking at Thai Elite to rid myself of these problems once and for all but that seems to take a few weeks at least.

With the Thailand Elite visa, a single 1-day overstay is most likely problem, but a 14-day overstay is problematic.  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1086957-elite-visa-after-overstay/?tab=comments#comment-13895656

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A major motive for the SETV is to husband your visa exempts by land, using them only when you have no reasonable alternative. There are a various options for a (faster) SETV.  If you go to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi or Saannakhet by tomorrow morning, you will have a visa by Friday afternoon. Of these, Savannakhet is the best option for entering Thailand by land. Unfortunately, flights to Savannakhet have become limited. If you can persuade your airline to fly you to Vientiane rather than back to Phnom Penh (usually negotiable if they fly there) it will be easier. Another option is to travel to Kota Bharu (Malaysia) where you can apply for a visa on Sunday, receiving your passport back with visa on Monday afternoon. If you feel none of this is reasonable, by all means burn a visa exempt by land. It should be no problem. Just be aware that you are using a valuable resource that you might need more urgently at a later time.

I see what you are saying. In my case since I'm going to immediately start the Thai elite process, I think it's reasonable to burn one of these. 

Since I now have an overstay stamp and a 'denied entry' stamp on whatever it is, I do have concerns I'll be able to get in via land border even. Is that concern warranted? I mean are the IOs at land borders just blindly stamping people through?

Alternatively I could be at the Thai embassy in ho chi Minh tomorrow morning when it opens. A bit concerned since I've gotten an SETV here before + the 2 new ugly stamps. 

7 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

Alternatively I could be at the Thai embassy in ho chi Minh tomorrow morning when it opens. A bit concerned since I've gotten an SETV here before + the 2 new ugly stamps. 

What are the current requirements of obtaining a SETV at HCMC ?

13 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

Almost certainly HCMC won't allow you entry (unless you already have a Viet multi entry VISA).

I'd try a flight to Kuala Lumpur (or Cambodia or Laos).

Please post back what happens if you try HCMC.

Edited by BritManToo

52 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

You guys think there is a big difference from having an SETV versus visa exempt when crossing via land border?

I ask because by the time I get to a thai consulate or an agency to process the visa for me, it will be thursday or friday, which means I will not receive the visa until next week. Meanwhile if visa exempt is not much different, I can do that as early as tomorrow morning (I land in Phnom Penh at ~9:30pm and then I'd just hire a car to drive me directly to the friendliest border in Cambodia, not sure where that is yet but looks like it'll be a 5-7h drive)

Ask whether you can fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai , as they arent so strict in CM ?

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Almost certainly HCMC won't allow you entry (unless you already have a Viet multi entry VISA).

I'd try a flight to Kuala Lumpur.

Please post back what happens if you try HCMC.

Do you mean HCM is unlikely to give me a SETV? Or you mean Vietnam won't let me in?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ask whether you can fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai , as they arent so strict in CM ?

When you get detained at bkk airport you are only allowed to leave bkk airport via the airline you flew in on. In my case that is Cambodia air and the only flight they have is back to PNM.

There is someone here from some random African airline that only comes to BKK every 4 days and they had to wait that long. Confirmed they take this policy seriously.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is very unlikely he will be forced back to Canada. Usually, the default is to return him to Phnom Penh (his last embarkation point) but this is negotiable with the airline (assuming your airline representative is around to discuss it with).

Not necessarily true from what I know. Had a friend recently do back to back extended exempts followed by an SETV from HCMC. 

Stopped and detained at Suvarnabhum and deported to Australia rather than back to Vietnam. 

He has been living in Asia for 21 years and hasn’t been to Australia for 2 or more years ????????‍♂️

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

Do you mean HCM is unlikely to give me a SETV? Or you mean Vietnam won't let me in?

Your passport will almost certainly be marked 'refused entry for insufficient funds' by Thai immigration.

If you fly to PP, they don't appear to care all that much about Thai refusal stamps.

Suvannakhet in Laos might be the place to buy a tourist VISA, the Thai land boarder there is very easy going.

Vietnam are a bit funny about 'refusal stamps', but if you try to enter I'd be interested in hearing what happens.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

When you get detained at bkk airport you are only allowed to leave bkk airport via the airline you flew in on. In my case that is Cambodia air and the only flight they have is back to PNM.

There is someone here from some random African airline that only comes to BKK every 4 days and they had to wait that long. Confirmed they take this policy seriously.

Reports are they only take that policy seriously if you sign the forms (which you foolishly did).

If you refuse to sign there is room for negotiation on the destination of flights out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If i remember correctly (i read it a couple times before i signed it) there is 3-4 sections on this and each of them are translated into english.

- they address it to "alien" or something at the top

- not allowed into thailand

- state a reason "insufficient means for being in thailand" or something like that, i remember the numbers 12 and 2 (they didnt care how much money i had on me or in my bank account)

- must stay in the detention centre, must not try to run or any other BS, must be ready for expulsion at any time

i dont remember anything about payment or airlines on this document, that doesn't mean there isn't any interaction between paying for detention center and this document but it isnt stated explicitly

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

If you choose Cambodia to come back then avoid Ayutthaya/Poipet at all cost.

It's Aranyaprathet / Poipet (Ayutthaya is near Bangkok).

You don't need a fixer and the limit is 2 visa exempt at land border per calendar year and not limit with a visa. You should get a SETV before trying again but it might not even be necessary. At least via land border they will simply bounce you back and won't put you in detention. 

I would not try for a Tourist Visa in Phnom Penh.  They like to put a "VOID" stamp on them there after taking your money and wasting your time.  I don't think the (*) running that consulate now, would like the look of a denied-entry stamp.

2 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Why did you sign that form? They're going to force you back to canada and make you pay for the flight yourself

The form does not change the destination, necessarily - but i would not sign it either. 

1 hour ago, borderlesss said:

Since I now have an overstay stamp and a 'denied entry' stamp on whatever it is, I do have concerns I'll be able to get in via land border even. Is that concern warranted? I mean are the IOs at land borders just blindly stamping people through?

They are following the actual laws of Thailand, which is why people are stamped-through - even immediately after an IO denies-entry based on a LIE at an airport.  Unless you didn't have the money to afford staying in Thailand 30-days, the 12(2) reason for rejection Was A Lie - and it is inapplicable to tourist-entries, in any case.

One other SETV is not a high-count - and is that Visa in your current (new) passport?  If not, it doesn't exist, as far as they are concerned. 

But, you might be questioned about the rejected-entry stamp.  Explain they didn't think you had money, and show them a printout of your bank balance with a nice, high figure.  You will also need proof of a flight out of Thailand, and possibly proof of where you will stay (a condo-lease is fine).

But, even with a Tourist Visa, I would not try flying into Thailand with a longer-stay tourist-history.  If I had to fly-in, it would be with a Tourist Visa, and direct to Chiang Mai - not any flight that goes through Bangkok, where you could be subjected to the lying IOs there.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A Thai speaker/reader who previously posted claimed he didn't sign and was subsequently allowed to book his own ticket out to a destination of his choice.

Only with the same airline he flew in with, though.  The OP's airline seems to only go to PP from BKK.

22 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Only with the same airline he flew in with, though.  The OP's airline seems to only go to PP from BKK.

if you sat there with your smartphone and booked a ticket out in 2-4 hours time, I think it'd be hard for them to justify not letting you get on it. There are flights to KUL every 30 minutes for about 2,000bht.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Your passport will almost certainly be marked 'refused entry for insufficient funds' by Thai immigration.

If you fly to PP, they don't appear to care all that much about Thai refusal stamps.

Suvannakhet in Laos might be the place to buy a tourist VISA, the Thai land boarder there is very easy going.

Vietnam are a bit funny about 'refusal stamps', but if you try to enter I'd be interested in hearing what happens.

+ 1. Savannakhet seems to be the best option for the OP. 

• Like 1